Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    First year of uni, want to apply elsewhere for Spe 2017 entry for various reasons. Should I use an academic reference from my (old) school or current uni?

    Old school: more detailed, have known me for 7 years BUT they say that due to lack of time they cannot make any modifications i.e. it'll sound as if I still go there and make no mention of the mitigating circumstances that led me not to achieve the grades I needed to the place I'm applying to now.

    Uni : Less detailed, known me for a shorter period of time, also can't mention/verify the circumstances that led to not-so-good A level results since I wasn't here then BUT will be current. Relevance dubious since unis want to know your potential for thriving in higher education.

    What the uni department says: no mention of mitigating circumstances in either is acceptable so long as I send them a separate email with evidence by the 15th, that decision about which reference to use is entirely up to me BUT that I cannot use both, that the more recent the reference the better.

    Which do I go with???
    • PS Reviewer

    PS Reviewer
    If they have stated that they would prefer the more recent reference, I would send the most recent reference. Universities almost exclusively prefer to see references from other universities in these situations.
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.