Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I would like to teach in secondary school, and the subjects that I want to teach are Religious Studies and Psychology. How would I go about this? Do I do a degree for Religious Studies and Psychology and then a PGCE to allow me to teach? What if I can't find a Religious Studies and Psychology course in a uni of my choice? (A-levels - English Lit&Lang, Religious Studies, Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    Then you would just have to do your undergrad in one of those subjects.

Once you are a qualified teacher, you can be asked to teach anything that you are deemed capable of teaching.

One of our RS teachers at school was actually a French teacher, but had an interest in RS as well. One of our other RS teachers also taught English. She later left to join the priesthood so clearly English was not her *main* interest.

I now teach English but also teach a current affairs/critical thinking course that has a bit of geography, politics and economics thrown in (Global Perspectives IGCSE). I have no degree-level background in that latter subject. I have A-Level History. I never had the chance to study politics or economics. The critical thinking course was only introduced at my secondary school after I left. I also only studied geography until I was 14 and my lack of sense of direction is legendary

So if on that basis I can end up teaching that subject, I am sure that in the end you can end up teaching both subjects you want, regardless of what degree route you go down.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.