Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What do you think of philosophy? It seems to be undervalued due to being perceived as non-practical and non-vocational.

ReputationRep:
    As subject I dislike it unless it is just teaching about philosophy but I feel that would be best left to a history course that also touches on Philosophy.

Philosophy is a art that cannot be learned only you can teach yourself philosophy. But I really do like discussing philosophy with other people as it shows maturity and inteligence.

Personally I read a lot of philosophy and I love Nietzsche and really enjoyed reading the art of war and just finished it.

Sorry if I have made any mistakes I am on a lot of strong painkillers atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    As subject I dislike it unless it is just teaching about philosophy but I feel that would be best left to a history course that also touches on Philosophy.

Philosophy is a art that cannot be learned only you can teach yourself philosophy. But I really do like discussing philosophy with other people as it shows maturity and inteligence.

Personally I read a lot of philosophy and I love Nietzsche and really enjoyed reading the art of war and just finished it.

Sorry if I have made any mistakes I am on a lot of strong painkillers atm
    No need to apologize. I appreciate your insight. I think features of philosophy can be taught (learnt), for example critical thinking. The more I've been involved with philosophy the less confident I become about the things I thought I knew. Yet I'm starting to appreciate that limitations are important aspects of me and everyone around me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marho9)
    No need to apologize. I appreciate your insight. I think features of philosophy can be taught (learnt), for example critical thinking. The more I've been involved with philosophy the less confident I become about the things I thought I knew. Yet I'm starting to appreciate that limitations are important aspects of me and everyone around me.
    I agree you can learn things like critical thinking.

The more I've been involved with philosophy the less confident I become about the things I thought I knew.

reminds me of this quote
    "The ancient Oracle said that I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone, of all the Greeks, know that I know nothing".

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy with an untrained mind can hinder decision making not improve it, as questioning has to end somewhere to do something. I dislike it really, there's too much focus on what other people have said and not enough on the arguments themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheExtrovertGod)
    Philosophy with an untrained mind can hinder decision making not improve it, as questioning has to end somewhere to do something. I dislike it really, there's too much focus on what other people have said and not enough on the arguments themselves.
    Is your issue directed at formal philosophy (academia), as opposed to philosophy as a human endeavor? I'm open to however you define it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.