Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My life is a bit ??? what to do Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't want this to be moved to mental health cause it's nothing to do with depression and stuff, nor studying because it's more than that.

Recently I kinda fell into a life crisis almost I guess? Like a mid-life crisis (but i'm not 40) but not. I've questioned like absolutely everything I'm doing - my hobbies, my future career & degree, the people I know etc. and I'm at an impasse where I don't know what to do. I legit have not left the house for 9 days now because I don't want to be around anyone and I don't really know what I wanna do with myself.

Some of it stems from the fact that a few months ago a former friend of mine hurt me in a really bad way and since then it's really changed my personality and I've become very wary and disinterested in other people altogether - that's kind of why I don't wanna see other people, but for everything else I just feel so totally ??? in life. I don't know what I want to do/what I enjoy/my future?? just anything.

Even the thing I enjoy most, German, I have paid pretty much made no effort to for 2 months. I just don't even know what I'm meant to do. Any advice at all would help -shrug-

ReputationRep:
    Work will set you free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    I don't want this to be moved to mental health cause it's nothing to do with depression and stuff, nor studying because it's more than that.

Recently I kinda fell into a life crisis almost I guess? Like a mid-life crisis (but i'm not 40) but not. I've questioned like absolutely everything I'm doing - my hobbies, my future career & degree, the people I know etc. and I'm at an impasse where I don't know what to do. I legit have not left the house for 9 days now because I don't want to be around anyone and I don't really know what I wanna do with myself.

Some of it stems from the fact that a few months ago a former friend of mine hurt me in a really bad way and since then it's really changed my personality and I've become very wary and disinterested in other people altogether - that's kind of why I don't wanna see other people, but for everything else I just feel so totally ??? in life. I don't know what I want to do/what I enjoy/my future?? just anything.

Even the thing I enjoy most, German, I have paid pretty much made no effort to for 2 months. I just don't even know what I'm meant to do. Any advice at all would help -shrug-

I'm not too good with typing out my thoughts but I'll try.

I kind of feel like that myself, unsure of everything and questioning it all. I'm going to take a gap year so I can have some time out from education and figure things out. Since you like german, stick with that. You feel disinterested because you're in a low point but try to remind yourself of where you wanted to go and what you wanted to do before you felt this way, it may involve a fair amount of pushing yourself but it must be done for your sanity. It's not good for you to be inside all the time. Break down what needs to be done into small bits, that'll make it easier to accomplish. These dips happen but try not to lose sight of what is important (very easy to forget). People will hurt you, it's painful but it happens, maybe practice mindfulness? Also, one more thing, stop thinking and start doing! I think a lot and it's best to put the thinking aside and pushing yourself to do something, keep your mind occupied with anything at all, accomplishing even a small task may help you feel better. Sorry for rambling, hope you feel better soon!

ReputationRep:
    Well life can be uncertain and stressful for all of us at times unfortunately. I can certainly relate to what you are describing, particularly losing friends on bad terms - it really sucks. My advice would be give yourself some self care, just little things to make yourself feel a little nurtured and better. Such as going for a shower, washing your face, opening a window or grabbing something to eat. Or even cleaning your room. Personally, I find being clean and having a clean room refreshing; yes it requires effort but it's certainly worth it. I also advise reaching out to people, even if it's on TSR, I'm always free to talk and I'm up for listening to you or giving you advice anytime I can. Also maybe go for a walk alone to get some fresh air, 9 days in the house surely isn't good for you. 🙄 also German is an awesome language!!😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bad Faith)
    I kind of feel like that myself, unsure of everything and questioning it all. I'm going to take a gap year so I can have some time out from education and figure things out. Since you like german, stick with that. You feel disinterested because you're in a low point but try to remind yourself of where you wanted to go and what you wanted to do before you felt this way, it may involve a fair amount of pushing yourself but it must be done for your sanity. It's not good for you to be inside all the time. Break down what needs to be done into small bits, that'll make it easier to accomplish. These dips happen but try not to lose sight of what is important (very easy to forget). People will hurt you, it's painful but it happens, maybe practice mindfulness? Also, one more thing, stop thinking and start doing! I think a lot and it's best to put the thinking aside and pushing yourself to do something, keep your mind occupied with anything at all, accomplishing even a small task may help you feel better. Sorry for rambling, hope you feel better soon!
    Yeah I intend to do German at uni, I just have constant worries that there were other careers I wanted in the past that I might have been able to revisit, but no longer can. E.g. I always thought being an architect would be cool, or a vet, or a lawyer. But with my A-Level choices and degree it's all coming very real that I am now going down 1 definitive path and idk its very odd. Thanks for the rest of your advice as well, I am going out tomorrow and will probably go back to college next week I just wanted time to chill out away from people lmao.

And I agree, doing is sometimes better than thinking.

(Original post by courtnic99)
    Well life can be uncertain and stressful for all of us at times unfortunately. I can certainly relate to what you are describing, particularly losing friends on bad terms - it really sucks. My advice would be give yourself some self care, just little things to make yourself feel a little nurtured and better. Such as going for a shower, washing your face, opening a window or grabbing something to eat. Or even cleaning your room. Personally, I find being clean and having a clean room refreshing; yes it requires effort but it's certainly worth it. I also advise reaching out to people, even if it's on TSR, I'm always free to talk and I'm up for listening to you or giving you advice anytime I can. Also maybe go for a walk alone to get some fresh air, 9 days in the house surely isn't good for you. 🙄 also German is an awesome language!!😊
    Yeahh I do try and make sure I'm not a total slob cause if I just stopped doing absolutely everything I probably wouldn't be in a depressed state by that point. I am going out tomorrow to meet someone and will probably get a grip and go back to college next week so yeah, just wanted time away from others. Thanks for your kind words and yeah it is a great language X)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I intend to do German at uni, I just have constant worries that there were other careers I wanted in the past that I might have been able to revisit, but no longer can. E.g. I always thought being an architect would be cool, or a vet, or a lawyer. But with my A-Level choices and degree it's all coming very real that I am now going down 1 definitive path and idk its very odd. Thanks for the rest of your advice as well, I am going out tomorrow and will probably go back to college next week I just wanted time to chill out away from people lmao.

I have the same issue, I can't decide but I'm picking what my A-levels allow me to do, and I'm good at. You can always go down any of those routes after your german degree, plus being fluent in another language is a useful skill. That's good, get back into your old routine, a break is good now and then.

ReputationRep:

Yeahh I do try and make sure I'm not a total slob cause if I just stopped doing absolutely everything I probably wouldn't be in a depressed state by that point. I am going out tomorrow to meet someone and will probably get a grip and go back to college next week so yeah, just wanted time away from others. Thanks for your kind words and yeah it is a great language X)
    it's never a problem 😊

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.