Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can universities ask which other unis you have applied to? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know that this isn't on your UCAS application to individual universities, and that their decisions are independent of each other.

But, can they ask in an interview where else you've applied to, or if you've applied to a specific university? And what is the purpose of them asking? Do you think it will affect their decision, either positively or negatively?

And this is for the UK, as what I've read online seems to refer to the USA.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Neither of my interviews so far have. It's not something they typically do because as you said, it might unfairly impact their decision.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    No, I am fairly sure that they are not allowed to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarysJSLewis)
    Neither of my interviews so far have. It's not something they typically do because as you said, it might unfairly impact their decision.
    One of mine did ask, and I really think it's going to affect their decision; when I said yes to a specific uni, their enthusiasm wasn't as apparent... :confused:

Kind of worried now :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fahmina)
    One of mine did ask, and I really think it's going to affect their decision; when I said yes to a specific uni, their enthusiasm wasn't as apparent... :confused:

Kind of worried now :eek:
    I wouldn't over think it. If you don't get an offer, then I'd do something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    No, I am fairly sure that they are not allowed to do that.
    I was under the same impression.

But, I replied honestly, and I hope it won't affect their decision.

I hope I offset it by saying that I hope to see them in September...

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't over think it. If you don't get an offer, then I'd do something.
    I'm trying not to, but it's difficult!

I've been told many times that rejections pre/post-interview can be for subjective reasons that you can't really comment upon/appeal, and I'm worried that'll happen, with the real reason being my other choices.

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying not to, but it's difficult!

I've been told many times that rejections pre/post-interview can be for subjective reasons that you can't really comment upon/appeal, and I'm worried that'll happen, with the real reason being my other choices.
    What course were you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    What course were you applying for?
    Dentistry!

ReputationRep:
    Dentistry!
    Darn. I probably would be a bit more help if it was something with the Arts. My interviews were for animation, and they judge you both on your question responses, and your portfolio. I'm sure it'll be fine, if they're petty enough to judge you on what other universities you're applying for, they might not be worth it
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I was under the same impression.

But, I replied honestly, and I hope it won't affect their decision.

I hope I offset it by saying that I hope to see them in September...
    Honestly I can't imagine it will affect their decision, I'm guessing it was probably meant as small talk by an interviewer who didn't really understand the rules, but yeah they're not supposed to do that.

ReputationRep:
    Darn. I probably would be a bit more help if it was something with the Arts. My interviews were for animation, and they judge you both on your question responses, and your portfolio. I'm sure it'll be fine, if they're petty enough to judge you on what other universities you're applying for, they might not be worth it
    Oh, thank you!

I obviously have a first choice, but as long as I can get in to uni this year, I'm happy!

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I can't imagine it will affect their decision, I'm guessing it was probably meant as small talk by an interviewer who didn't really understand the rules, but yeah they're not supposed to do that.
    I'm worried it will because I'm on an access scheme with the uni they asked about, and it's closer to home. I think they think I won't be dedicated to a different uni, and they'll say no because of that.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried it will because I'm on an access scheme with the uni they asked about, and it's closer to home. I think they think I won't be dedicated to a different uni, and they'll say no because of that.
    I think that's unlikely. Remember that all universities give out much more offers than they have spaces because they know that only a proportion of their offers will be accepted. They're not going to not give you an offer just because they think you'll go somewhere else because otherwise they wouldn't give offers to anybody!

ReputationRep:
    I think that's unlikely. Remember that all universities give out much more offers than they have spaces because they know that only a proportion of their offers will be accepted. They're not going to not give you an offer just because they think you'll go somewhere else because otherwise they wouldn't give offers to anybody!
    I see exactly what you mean, but it's difficult to be logical right now! Obviously, if I had an offer from my first choice, I'd let all of the unis know ASAP. I wouldn't hold on to their offers because I'd hate to be in the 'pool' for my first choice!

ReputationRep:
    I actually had a phone call the other evening from one of my universities asking whether I had applied to any other universities. It was like a bit of a "crazy girlfriend"-esque phone call.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GroovyLu)
    I actually had a phone call the other evening from one of my universities asking whether I had applied to any other universities. It was like a bit of a "crazy girlfriend"-esque phone call.
    What course, and what did you reply?! :eek:
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I see exactly what you mean, but it's difficult to be logical right now! Obviously, if I had an offer from my first choice, I'd let all of the unis know ASAP. I wouldn't hold on to their offers because I'd hate to be in the 'pool' for my first choice!
    Universities are not allowed to ask you this. And if they do then you aren't obligated to answer (or answer honestly).

I'd suggest you ring tomorrow and ask to speak to the head of admissions. Explain who asked it and their response and that you're worried that the interviewer will allow it to affect their decision. The head of admissions is responsible for making sure that the university follows the UCAS rules. They will make sure you're treated fairly and they will speak to staff to make sure this doesn't happen again.

If the head of admissions isn't helpful then ring UCAS to report the university concerned. UCAS take invisibility of choices seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Universities are not allowed to ask you this. And if they do then you aren't obligated to answer (or answer honestly).

I'd suggest you ring tomorrow and ask to speak to the head of admissions. Explain who asked it and their response and that you're worried that the interviewer will allow it to affect their decision. The head of admissions is responsible for making sure that the university follows the UCAS rules. They will make sure you're treated fairly and they will speak to staff to make sure this doesn't happen again.

If the head of admissions isn't helpful then ring UCAS to report the university concerned. UCAS take invisibility of choices seriously.
    I hate lying so much, and I think honesty is the best policy at all times, but now I feel like I've just jeopardised my application! :eek:

I didn't know that it was a UCAS rule to not ask, otherwise I might have gone about it differently. Actually, thinking about it, I dunno how I'd answer differently - I think I'd reply as I did in the actual interview...

I think I will call, now that I've heard from you! I needed to check before taking any action, because I've not heard of any other unis asking. I'm hoping they were just making small talk as someone mentioned earlier, but the context and surrounding topics weren't very 'fluid', if you understand what I mean. Their enthusiasm waned a little after my response, and that's what worried me.

ReputationRep:
    Last year when I applied in two interviews I got asked what uni's I planned to pick as my backup and firm and I answered one as backup and one as firm and still got offered a place by both of them so don't worry too much.

I'm not sure about them asking you about a specific uni, that's a bit weird but it might have been that the uni they asked about was one they knew had higher entry requirements so by applying there too they think it's more likely that you intend to put a different uni as your firm. :erm:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.