Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can universities ask which other unis you have applied to? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fahmina)
    What course, and what did you reply?! :eek:
    Forensic Computing. And well, I lied lol. Made them feel special.

ReputationRep:
    Just an update (a very late one at that!)

I heard back from the uni in question and I received an offer, so it turns out I was worried for no reason! After all that, it wasn't even one of my top choices

Thanks for all your responses, everyone!

ReputationRep:
    when i went to my uni interview i was actually asked if i applied to similar courses at other uni. I suspected that they werent allowed to do it so I just gave them a very vague answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    No, I am fairly sure that they are not allowed to do that.
    They can determine by the application date whether one was going for Oxbridge. By the way did you know that recruiters for internships have openly asked applicants what other places I have applied to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CompSciEngineer)
    They can determine by the application date whether one was going for Oxbridge.
    No they can't Loads of candidates apply before the Oxbridge deadline even though they are not applying to one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    No they can't Loads of candidates apply before the Oxbridge deadline even though they are not applying to one of them.
    Well then they can have a fair guess

ReputationRep:
    Well then they can have a fair guess
    They can have a guess. But what use is that?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    They can determine by the application date whether one was going for Oxbridge. By the way did you know that recruiters for internships have openly asked applicants what other places I have applied to.
    There's nothing to stop applicants applying to Oxbridge by the early deadline and adding other choices later on. That would result in a new application date for the later choices.

ReputationRep:
    My application to all four unis was for Dentistry, so the application deadline is the same - 15th October. They couldn't have really figured anything else out - at least, not the same info they could regarding non-Medicine/Dentistry/Veterinary Medicine/Oxbridge courses. I think they just wanted to know if/how committed to their institution - rightly so on their account; there's not much point in offering places if they're unlikely to be taken up, especially when it's some people's first choice.

I could've applied to a fifth for a non-Medicine/Dentistry/Veterinary Medicine/Oxbridge course up until 31st January according to UCAS Track, but decided not to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.