The Student Room Group

Can universities ask which other unis you have applied to?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fahmina
What course, and what did you reply?! :eek:

Forensic Computing. And well, I lied lol. Made them feel special.
Reply 21
Just an update (a very late one at that!)

I heard back from the uni in question and I received an offer, so it turns out I was worried for no reason! :biggrin: After all that, it wasn't even one of my top choices :colondollar:

Thanks for all your responses, everyone! :h:
when i went to my uni interview i was actually asked if i applied to similar courses at other uni. I suspected that they werent allowed to do it so I just gave them a very vague answer
Original post by Plagioclase
No, I am fairly sure that they are not allowed to do that.

They can determine by the application date whether one was going for Oxbridge. By the way did you know that recruiters for internships have openly asked applicants what other places I have applied to.
Original post by CompSciEngineer
They can determine by the application date whether one was going for Oxbridge.

No they can't Loads of candidates apply before the Oxbridge deadline even though they are not applying to one of them.
Original post by Good bloke
No they can't Loads of candidates apply before the Oxbridge deadline even though they are not applying to one of them.

Well then they can have a fair guess
Well then they can have a fair guess

They can have a guess. But what use is that?
They can determine by the application date whether one was going for Oxbridge. By the way did you know that recruiters for internships have openly asked applicants what other places I have applied to.

There's nothing to stop applicants applying to Oxbridge by the early deadline and adding other choices later on. That would result in a new application date for the later choices.
Reply 28
My application to all four unis was for Dentistry, so the application deadline is the same - 15th October. They couldn't have really figured anything else out - at least, not the same info they could regarding non-Medicine/Dentistry/Veterinary Medicine/Oxbridge courses. :s-smilie: I think they just wanted to know if/how committed to their institution - rightly so on their account; there's not much point in offering places if they're unlikely to be taken up, especially when it's some people's first choice.

I could've applied to a fifth for a non-Medicine/Dentistry/Veterinary Medicine/Oxbridge course up until 31st January according to UCAS Track, but decided not to.
I thought they couldn't but I just watched the new "interview experience" video Ibz Mo posted on YouTube and they did ask him that question in his cambridge interview...

This scares me cuz I plan on applying for the traditional medical course at Oxford/Cambridge but also for the non-traditional 5 year course at other unis like Manchester. I'm sure it would negatively impact their decision if I don't have a good reason why... and I don't :frown:
Original post by hazza882000
I thought they couldn't but I just watched the new "interview experience" video Ibz Mo posted on YouTube and they did ask him that question in his cambridge interview...

This scares me cuz I plan on applying for the traditional medical course at Oxford/Cambridge but also for the non-traditional 5 year course at other unis like Manchester. I'm sure it would negatively impact their decision if I don't have a good reason why... and I don't :frown:

Just say you're not comfortable giving out that private information.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was asked about my other choices when I applied. Wasn't very happy about that since the uni that asked me was the only one I applied to out of my city so that probably added a lot of bias to their decision 🙃

Decline
Lie
Say you thought universities were forbidden from asking that.

Another thought given that this is a medicine interview...

'Well, given that Ucas explicitly forbids interviewers to ask for that information I suppose you're asking in a subtle way whether I understand the importance of confidentiality. I agree that it is an important issue and I would never disclose private information to a third party unless it was a medical emergency.' :devil:
Reply 34

They certainly shouldn't.

Original post by ageshallnot
Another thought given that this is a medicine interview...

'Well, given that Ucas explicitly forbids interviewers to ask for that information I suppose you're asking in a subtle way whether I understand the importance of confidentiality. I agree that it is an important issue and I would never disclose private information to a third party unless it was a medical emergency.' :devil:

PRSOM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fahmina
Dentistry! :biggrin:

Which university was this?
Original post by GroovyLu
I actually had a phone call the other evening from one of my universities asking whether I had applied to any other universities. It was like a bit of a "crazy girlfriend"-esque phone call.:colonhash:

Sounds like one of your friends trying to wind you up.

Unis do employ their own students to make 'marketing' calls but the purpose of those calls is to talk-up that Uni - nothing else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending