Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CraigBackner)
    @Popsiclez i can say its just exams, becauses its literally just exams, I'm also in yr 11 doing the new gcse maths and english, but I'm not stressed one bit. people just overthink it too much, if you've already revised and done past papers theres nothing to worry
    Well you're not everyone and I've already mentioned things that most people will be stressed about, Past Papers are no guarantee that the the apper you get will be the same, there has been a lot of outrage the past few years about maths papers veing nothing like past papers plus this year its gonna be much harder. Everyone has different mentak capacities and different levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popsiclez)
    Well you're not everyone and I've already mentioned things that most people will be stressed about, Past Papers are no guarantee that the the apper you get will be the same, there has been a lot of outrage the past few years about maths papers veing nothing like past papers plus this year its gonna be much harder. Everyone has different mentak capacities and different levels.
    okay fair enough, were all different people so some will be stressed while others would't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overthinking)
    Wanted a place for all the UK Year 11s to gather and talk about the upcoming exams. After all, we are obvs the special group doing both the number and letter grades.

How are you guys finding revision; how often do you revise per day/week??

What's your best subject? Whats the worst?-- deffo English right.

(djksmdkmdlosmskdkdkdldldsm..... for English there's 3 literature books (closed book exams) and 15 poems... all that we have to learn thoroughly)

What's your best revision strategy? How are finding the year? [ + many other questions but cba]

Anywho,reply to how you're finding the year
    Why don't you use just use the current yr 11 thread? You can talk about exams on there and there are many more people! Best of luck to all the yr11s for your exams!x

ReputationRep:
    Lol the maths paper for 2016 was VERY strange and the grade boundaries were 15 marks higher than usual!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazelac)
    Hi, Im Hazel,

Im attempting to do two hours of revision a day minimum! Im most concerned about my triple science GCSEs but I am super happy with my current progression Spanish!

Year 11 is incredibly stressful!

I didn't think yr 11 was stressful at all! I'm a bit worried in yr 12 though...
    What exam board do you do for triple science?x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazelac)
    Its because the results are important to us! I don't think all stress is bad; it just shows we care.
    Its easier said than done as humans were wired that way, and there have been a lot of cases where students who get high grades during mocks can actually get low in the real thing, plus for English and Maths Year 11s are the first to do the more challenging GCSEs and so its kinda a fear of the unkown thing.

Plus keep in mind a lot of people have family and friends they might not want to let down also wanting to meet grade requirements to do the A-Level courses they want to do.

It's kinda ignorant when people say "It's just exams" because you're not currently in their situation you're looking at it externally. Although thankfully many teachers dont have this mindset and understand that they shouldn't undermine the situatiom.
    @Popsiclez i can say its just exams, becauses its literally just exams, I'm also in yr 11 doing the new gcse maths and english, but I'm not stressed one bit. people just overthink it too much, if you've already revised and done past papers theres nothing to worry
    This is very true (what Craig Brackner said). Of course you should be worried about exams- they are very important! But there's no point stressing too much- if you prepare properly you will do VERY well! Best of luck to you all!x

ReputationRep:
    How do you structure your revision??

If you're struggling with science, I recommend summarising each page of your revision guide onto one side of a flash card. For my last year's bio and chem exams, I made online notes, again, using the revision guides for each slide and i managed to get an A and A* but that may not work for you so good luck
    Thank you so much for the advice! Im just struggling with the lack of teaching at school but my revision is going well and I achieved As in my mocks! I've just got to keep going!

ReputationRep:
    Lucky... English is stressing me out!! How do you structure your essays?

and I'm doing Macbeth, An Inspector Calls and A Christmas Carol
    SAME English is seriously stressing me out especially as my whole class is pretty much failing and we are top set!
    The books i'm doing are Romeo and Juliet, Lord of the Flies and Great Expectations

ReputationRep:
    It's quite interesting to see how the school days vary at different schools ! At my school we have 100 minute lessons and three lessons a day !
    I'm finding English quite easy not gonna lie , but maths is in one ear and out the other lmao. We currently have compulsory intervention lessons and optional intervention lessons before and after school hours. Also every Friday for 100 minutes we have a support class , it's fairly random what you get put in though !

ReputationRep:
    The writing in the English Language paper 1 writing is such nonsense. How do they expect a quality story in like 45 minutes. I always let my imagination run wild and write a story that makes no sense and is just rambling. What else am I meant to do. I can't make a plan because I just waste time sitting there not knowing what to write. The markscheme is just nonsense. The differentiation between bands is compeletely subjective and just uses fancy buzzwords to please Ofqual but they don't actually mean anything. My plan is just to memorise really long fancy words the day before and squeeze them so the examiner thinks I'm smart and gives me that 38/40, that and pray for a kind examiner.

(Original post by polkastars01)
      SAME English is seriously stressing me out especially as my whole class is pretty much failing and we are top set!
      The books i'm doing are Romeo and Juliet, Lord of the Flies and Great Expectations
      I am doing the same but Pride and Prejudice instead of Great Expectations.

ReputationRep:
      But then a lot of people cant help overthinking! Also stress isnt necessarily just down to overthinking or revisjon(or lack thereof). Im not moaning/boasting but im targeted at least an A/7/8 in every subject and am probably looking at an A*/8/9 in a couple of subjects(i.e english) yet im still stressing! Its not necessarily just practise or revision-you have to know what theyre looking for, learn a lot more in maths and english than previous years (and we only have specimen papers for that due to the new gcses) and we dont know what theyre asking! I.e the english questions (in language for creative writing) may not be a description or a story, they could be both stories, story openings or endings etc. We dont know. Also, its a lot to have two to three years work come down to an hour or so of exams, even worse if you struggle with exams, do better in classes, have mental health problems/ learning impairements etc.!!! On top of all this uncertainty is the fact that these new exams are made to be a lot harder- some students predicted high level grades in the old spec are only getting passes or b's etc, sometimes not even that, due to the higher level of the new exams! Hence, its not all overthinking and no revision/practise!

ReputationRep:
      Wanted a place for all the UK Year 11s to gather and talk about the upcoming exams. After all, we are obvs the special group doing both the number and letter grades.

How are you guys finding revision; how often do you revise per day/week??

What's your best subject? Whats the worst?-- deffo English right.

(djksmdkmdlosmskdkdkdldldsm..... for English there's 3 literature books (closed book exams) and 15 poems... all that we have to learn thoroughly)

What's your best revision strategy? How are finding the year? [ + many other questions but cba]

Anywho,reply to how you're finding the year
      Finding the new exams tough and stressful...especially english lit

ReputationRep:
      I'm doing about 6 hours a day? English is my best, Chemistry is deffo the worst :ssaw:

ReputationRep:
      I wish we still had AS cos I'm not an all rounder

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ewarner2000)
      But then a lot of people cant help overthinking! Also stress isnt necessarily just down to overthinking or revisjon(or lack thereof). Im not moaning/boasting but im targeted at least an A/7/8 in every subject and am probably looking at an A*/8/9 in a couple of subjects(i.e english) yet im still stressing! Its not necessarily just practise or revision-you have to know what theyre looking for, learn a lot more in maths and english than previous years (and we only have specimen papers for that due to the new gcses) and we dont know what theyre asking! I.e the english questions (in language for creative writing) may not be a description or a story, they could be both stories, story openings or endings etc. We dont know. Also, its a lot to have two to three years work come down to an hour or so of exams, even worse if you struggle with exams, do better in classes, have mental health problems/ learning impairements etc.!!! On top of all this uncertainty is the fact that these new exams are made to be a lot harder- some students predicted high level grades in the old spec are only getting passes or b's etc, sometimes not even that, due to the higher level of the new exams! Hence, its not all overthinking and no revision/practise!
      Completely agree, onky other GCSE students know how it feels.

ReputationRep:
      I'm mostly worried about triple science as there is just so much to learn. I personally find essay writing subjects (history, religious studies) relatively easy, but the volume of quotes to remember for English is getting a little bit ridiculous - 3 texts, 15 poems??? As it's Easter I'm not doing regular revision as such, just squeezing bits in here and there, but when school starts again I'm planning on one-two hours on school days and saturday, then a full day sunday with short breaks. I'm struggling lots with staying motivated, I really hope I get to grips soon as it's literally a month and five days until my first exam.

ReputationRep:
      In the holidays I work about 7-8 hours and when I have school I do three hours
      New GCSE maths is so hard compared to the old one 😭 I was getting 90%+ in the old one and now I'm getting grade 5s 😭

ReputationRep:
      On school days I do around 3 hours per day, but at present on the holidays I aim to do around 6 hours each day (generally when we're not on holiday I do 7hours on Saturday and 6 hours on Sunday).

My worst subject is probably English Language?? I got a level 8 in my mock exam so it's not like I'm terrible at it, it's just that I find it incredibly boring and nowhere near as stimulating as Literature (which I also find rather tedious as well).

My favourite subjects are Chemistry, Biology, and Maths and I hope to do all three for A-Level next year - I may also do further maths for my fourth instead of economics, but I'm still undecided at the moment.

Revision is going well at the moment - I'm rather scared I'm not going to get good grades but I'm trying to use mindfulness to convince me otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      I'm most worried for Music, Physics and Latin.
      Maths is the one I've put most work into so fingers crossed!!
      I'm doing about 6 hours or more a day but I'm struggling to feel like I'm taking anything in. Does anyone else feel like this??
      I'm trying to start doing as many past papers as possible but When I do, I quite often feel I don't know the answers...
      There are 35 days until my first exams and I'm not too stressed I just wish I felt like I was actually taking my revision in!
      Also, does anyone do The Secret River as their prose for English Lit? I can't find anyone who does...
      xxx

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.