The Student Room Group

Advice for getting into Medicine

Firstly sorry. This question is asked a lot, I have crawled through the forum trying to find a answer but annoyingly, the government have changed thing's so its difficult to get the correct information or advice.

Along with many other's I'm in a situation where I would like to change my career path and move towards medicine to end up as an anesthetist,

Firstly I need to achieve a higher GCSE result. I'm not ashamed to admit I somewhat over-looked my gcse's in my youth, and achieved very poor score's, through my research medical school's do expect good result's, I am ashamed to say I have 'Zero' GCSE's above a grade 'C'

Do I need to do GCSE or is iGCSE also accepted? These would probably be easier to achieve as I can only study at a part time basis, or evening basis.

What mark do I now need to achieve? GCSE have changed now where there is a numerical grading system, and would Math's, Double science and English Lit + Language be enough for my GCSE to leave a good enough impression?

I am aware I would also need to my A Level's what is fine, my plan is to slowly achieve what I need while I still carry on my engineering career and IF I can get a place to do a medical degree make the plunge.

I also have noticed some college's do a pre-entry to medicine, an 1 year full time course, what is the general opinion on these type of courses do the student's actually go on to pursue a degree as these type of courses are designed to help those without A levels?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

One last thing I will be 24 this year, although this may seem like a silly question, am I getting to old to start to go down this rabbit hole? I'm aware training take's a very long time before you can reach a high level.
Reply 1
I would have a look at the GCSE requirements for the universities, as your GCSEs won't be competitive. Some universities don't look too strongly at GCSEs though, so they might not hold you back. If it is a problem, you can look into retaking science, english, and maths as those are the most important ones.

In terms of your A-levels, as long as you get AAA it doesn't really matter if you do it in one year. Bear in mind that these courses are incredibly intense and difficult, so achieving 3 A's with your GCSE record may be difficult. I'd research your options and go to speak to the colleges that you have in mind to see what they think.

24 is definitely not too old to start medicine. There's a fresher at my uni who is over 40, and a girl in my year who is 32. A significant number of people come into medicine as graduates after doing masters and maybe even a PhD, so you will definitely not be the oldest or the only person around your age.
Original post by Nutmeggz
Firstly sorry. This question is asked a lot, I have crawled through the forum trying to find a answer but annoyingly, the government have changed thing's so its difficult to get the correct information or advice.

Along with many other's I'm in a situation where I would like to change my career path and move towards medicine to end up as an anesthetist,

Firstly I need to achieve a higher GCSE result. I'm not ashamed to admit I somewhat over-looked my gcse's in my youth, and achieved very poor score's, through my research medical school's do expect good result's, I am ashamed to say I have 'Zero' GCSE's above a grade 'C'

Do I need to do GCSE or is iGCSE also accepted? These would probably be easier to achieve as I can only study at a part time basis, or evening basis.

What mark do I now need to achieve? GCSE have changed now where there is a numerical grading system, and would Math's, Double science and English Lit + Language be enough for my GCSE to leave a good enough impression?

I am aware I would also need to my A Level's what is fine, my plan is to slowly achieve what I need while I still carry on my engineering career and IF I can get a place to do a medical degree make the plunge.

I also have noticed some college's do a pre-entry to medicine, an 1 year full time course, what is the general opinion on these type of courses do the student's actually go on to pursue a degree as these type of courses are designed to help those without A levels?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

One last thing I will be 24 this year, although this may seem like a silly question, am I getting to old to start to go down this rabbit hole? I'm aware training take's a very long time before you can reach a high level.

As you are a mature applicant things are often considered differently. I would advise contacting unis directly - a good sample of them - and ask what they would want to see from you re: qualifications. Its difficult to comment further with any certainty as your situation is not usual.

24, or even 30 or 40, is not too old. Most med schools have plenty of students who are >18/19 years old.
It's definitely not too late!
Have you considered a college access to higher education course as an alternative to A levels? (I think that might be the course you are talking about but not sure) Many medical schools accept them and it sounds like you might be eligible given your age and education status. They are competitive, but a lot of med schools give a certain number of places to students from access courses each year so definitely worth a look.
Before you could do that, you would have to get 5 C's in your GCSEs, but it might avoid the need for you to do A levels.
I've put a link below showing the course on one of the college websites which you might like to look at.
If it's your dream, please please don't give up!
https://www.cwa.ac.uk/our-courses/courses-available/course-detail/?cid=2289
Hi,

Have you tried looking at studying medicine abroad? It's much easier getting into Czech unis than UK medicine courses (and cheaper!!). Instead of A-levels you could do a foundation course which prepares you specifically to pass medical degree entry exams.

Quick Reply

Latest