Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I came across some mind puzzles that I thought my fellow UKL members might like to attempt. Some are easier than others, I will verify correct answers- Goodluck!

Matt the Cat lives on the top floor of a very tall building. Everyday he gets the elevator down to the ground floor to leave the building to go to UCL. Upon returning from uni though, he can only travel half way up in the lift and has to walk the rest of the way unless it's raining! WHY?

A man and his son are in a car accident. The father dies on the scene, but the child is rushed to the hospital. When he arrives the surgeon says "I can't operate on this boy, he is my son!" How can this be?

A man is wearing black. Black shoes, socks, trousers, jumper, gloves and balaclava. He is walking down a black street with all the street lamps off. A black car is coming towards him with its light off too but somehow manages to stop in time. How did the driver see the man?

One day Adhsur celebrated her birthday. Two days later her older twin brother, Jools, celebrated his birthday. Why?

Why is it better to have round manhole covers than square ones?

Chubb went to a party and drank some of the punch. He then left early. Everyone else at the party who drank the punch subsequently died of poisoning. Why didn’t Chubb die?

Kildare walks into a bar and asks the barman for a glass of water. The barman pulls out a gun and points it at Kildare. Kildare says 'Thank you' and walks out.

ReputationRep:
    2. Doctor is the mother.

3. It's daytime?

4. Jools is not her twin, rather one of a pair of twins both older than Adhsur

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=aliel]I came across some mind puzzles that I thought my fellow UKL members might like to attempt. Some are easier than others, I will verify correct answers- Goodluck!

Matt the Cat lives on the top floor of a very tall building. Everyday he gets the elevator down to the ground floor to leave the building to go to UCL. Upon returning from uni though, he can only travel half way up in the lift and has to walk the rest of the way unless it's raining! WHY?

He's a dwarf.

ReputationRep:
    1) He's short and can't reach the top buttons

ReputationRep:
    Damnit. You beat me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    2. Doctor is the mother.

3. It's daytime?

4. Jools is not her twin, rather one of a pair of twins both older than Adhsur
    Well done, 2 & 3 are correct, but 4 is not. Both Jools and Adhsur are "regular" twins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    Well done, 2 & 3 are correct, but 4 is not. Both Jools and Adhsur are "regular" twins
    Something to do with time zones?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    5) They don't fall down the hole

ReputationRep:
    He's a dwarf.[/QUOTE]

Neither you or the person that posted after you have the full answer, can you explain why when it rains it changes the situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Something to do with time zones?
    Maybe,

ReputationRep:
    4)jools was born on feb 28th, Adhsur on the 29th. The current year is not a leap year. Adshur is on one side of the international date line while jools is on the other.
    5)
    the manholes themselves are round, so the covers are round.

7) he pisses himself and colects the excrement in a glass once the gun is drawn.

ReputationRep:
    I have added 2 more problems at in my original post- please check them out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    5)
    the manholes themselves are round, so the covers are round.
    Nope. Think about the shape of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    I came across some mind puzzles that I thought my fellow UKL members might like to attempt. Some are easier than others, I will verify correct answers- Goodluck!

A man and his son are in a car accident. The father dies on the scene, but the child is rushed to the hospital. When he arrives the surgeon says "I can't operate on this boy, he is my son!" How can this be?

A man is wearing black. Black shoes, socks, trousers, jumper, gloves and balaclava. He is walking down a black street with all the street lamps off. A black car is coming towards him with its light off too but somehow manages to stop in time. How did the driver see the man?

One day Adhsur celebrated her birthday. Two days later her older twin brother, Jools, celebrated his birthday. Why?

Why is it better to have round manhole covers than square ones?
    2. The surgeaon is his mother
    5. The hole is round, and a square cover wouldn't fit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    He's a dwarf.
    Neither you or the person that posted after you have the full answer, can you explain why when it rains it changes the situation?[/QUOTE]

He can use his umbrella to reach the top buttons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    2. The surgeaon is his mother
    5. The hole is round, and a square cover wouldn't fit
    LH got the surgeon one. Please elaborate on your second answer.

Also check my original post for 2 new problems!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Manhole covers are round as the radius is the same all the way round and it can't fall through the hole. Square ones could fall diagonally.

ReputationRep:
    5. A round cover couldn't fall down a round hole, but a square cover could (diagonally) so a round cover is safer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    Nope. Think about the shape of it.
    juno's alreayd got it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777.5)
    Neither you or the person that posted after you have the full answer, can you explain why when it rains it changes the situation?
    He can use his umbrella to reach the top buttons.[/QUOTE]

Well done-

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.