Turn on thread page Beta

Male and mental health problems watch

Announcements

I am suffering from depression and anxiety but I'm embarassed to talk about how I feel or get help because I am male... I'm worried that I'll be seen as weak. I don't know what to do. I'll just bottle up my feelings for as long as possible i guess... since none of the suggestions work for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am suffering from depression and anxiety but I'm embarassed to talk about how I feel or get help because I am male... I'm worried that I'll be seen as weak. I don't know what to do. I'll just bottle up my feelings for as long as possible i guess... since none of the suggestions work for me.
    Find someone you trust, like a friend, family member even a teacher. A problem shared is a problem halved. And unfortunately there is a huge stigma towards mental illness, but you are not weak and you are strong for having the courage to want talk.

ReputationRep:
    I thought for a long time (and still often do) that people would think I was weak for getting help. However, would you call someone weak for getting help for cancer, or diabetes, or any number of other medical problems? I was depressed for years and I have no regrets about getting help because ultimately it has helped me get out of that pit now. Depression feels like utter **** and anxiety can really mess with your head but I would really advise talking to your GP and hopefully he will be able to help you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.