The Student Room Group

Need help with Personal statement.

Hi, I'm in year 10 and I have a year, or under, left till I have to write my personal statement and my teachers have advised us all to start now and plan by writing drafts.Whilst doing this it has suddenly dawned upon me, I have done absolutely no extra curricular activities, I can only think of 2 questionable extra curricular activities I have done, I did a lot of extra curricular stuff during primary but left after I joined secondary because my mom wanted me to focus on studying and put me in tuition.

So my question is do these count as extra-curricular activities? :
I taught myself how to build a pc and bought parts by myself.
Really creative and artistic, I draw a lot at home but don't show anyone.
I'm really unsure about this but from my lack of activities I'm desperate, does helping at home count, also helped my cousins move out and into a different house.

Also, does weekend tuition count? I did a bunch of extra curriculars in primary can I say something about them, they did not continue after I left primary however.
Hiya,

You don't have to have lots of extra curriculars. It is more important to be able to talk about the skills that you have learnt from them e.g. teamwork, reliability, determination, communication.

It might be a good idea to pick a couple of extra curriculars that you'd enjoy doing or even something like volunteering as this will boost your skills and you might need examples for uni personal statement or a job interview. It will also give you a break from study and allow you to meet new people :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by VioletPhillippo
Hiya,

You don't have to have lots of extra curriculars. It is more important to be able to talk about the skills that you have learnt from them e.g. teamwork, reliability, determination, communication.

It might be a good idea to pick a couple of extra curriculars that you'd enjoy doing or even something like volunteering as this will boost your skills and you might need examples for uni personal statement or a job interview. It will also give you a break from study and allow you to meet new people :smile:

Thanks!, thing is I don't know where to find any of these extra curricular activities, such as volunteering and that, the only things are after school clubs but cannot find anything within my local residency that is not linked to school, and I'm an introvert to make things even worse.
Reply 3
Original post by theaverage1
Thanks!, thing is I don't know where to find any of these extra curricular activities, such as volunteering and that, the only things are after school clubs but cannot find anything within my local residency that is not linked to school, and I'm an introvert to make things even worse.

Duke of Edinburgh (DofE) and NCS are good starting points for extra-curriculars and volunteering, I think you might be able to start DofE soon, if not right now, will probably be a while until you can do the NCS programme. In terms of finding extra-curriculars, look up any casual sports clubs or maybe coaches near you, you could end up learning a new sport! A good idea for volunteering is to find a charity shop in your local area, visit them and ask if they need any volunteers. You can do this with local food banks often as well, all you need is the Internet and a bit of initiative.

That said, extra-curriculars aren't fundamental to your university application, it's more the skills and exposure you gain from them. It's really surprising what you can learn when you just put yourself out there!
Original post by TheVine
Duke of Edinburgh (DofE) and NCS are good starting points for extra-curriculars and volunteering, I think you might be able to start DofE soon, if not right now, will probably be a while until you can do the NCS programme. In terms of finding extra-curriculars, look up any casual sports clubs or maybe coaches near you, you could end up learning a new sport! A good idea for volunteering is to find a charity shop in your local area, visit them and ask if they need any volunteers. You can do this with local food banks often as well, all you need is the Internet and a bit of initiative.

That said, extra-curriculars aren't fundamental to your university application, it's more the skills and exposure you gain from them. It's really surprising what you can learn when you just put yourself out there!

They've probably finished their degree by now :smile:

Latest