Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Life is tough if you're ugly Watch

ReputationRep:
    If people are indeed being truthful when they say I'm attractive, then trust me OP; life ain't no walk in the park for the better looking people either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheExtrovertGod)
    I think I agree partly, on a pretty person it is attractive, but on a pretty person it doesn't even matter if they're confident, that's just a bonus. For the rest of us, it doesn't matter if we can give a speech in front of 100 people, no one bothers with us afterwards as they can see for themselves what we look like.
    You seem to think that confidence only applies to one specific area. You may be confident in regards to public speaking, in terms of giving speeches, contributing in class, but that's not the type of confidence people refer to in this context. The confidence that people find attractive relates to being comfortable in your own skin, believing that you can be attractive to others,and not caring too much what others think.
    That confidence is what's attractive. No matter your looks, if you don't find yourself to be in the slightest attractive, you can't expect anyone else to either.

So stop calling yourself ugly, and invisible for starters.

ReputationRep:
    I think unless you are above average looks dating is hard work and there is a lot of knocks. But this is just down to luck and you have to work with it. What you can do is play on your strengths and work on your weaknesses and keep going. Attractiveness is not only about looks, people have different preferences and in the end I think it come good for most everybody. I also take some consolation that it's not all smooth for the attractive set. They suffer relationship angst too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritSharD)
    If people are indeed being truthful when they say I'm attractive, then trust me OP; life ain't no walk in the park for the better looking people either.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    :rolleyes:
    What? It's true. Attractiveness does not guarantee success or happiness in any aspect of life.

ReputationRep:
    What? It's true. Attractiveness does not guarantee success or happiness in any aspect of life.
    It's not very helpful to say 'oh I'm better looking but life isn't easy for me either'. Well obviously it goes without saying that anyone can face struggles regardless of appearance. He wasn't saying that you don't suffer if you are good looking, he (or she) is simply stating that life is often harder if you are ugly.

For example, if a poor person was complaining about hardship,it would be unhelpful for a wealthy individual to say life isn't easy for us rich kids either.

Just not helpful, and also seems like a bit of an excuse to exclaim to TSR how attractive you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Because confidence does go a long way. If you constantly put yourself down and say you're ugly, then other people will think the same.
    Does it make a difference if they think that anyway?

ReputationRep:
    He wasn't saying that you don't suffer if you are good looking, he (or she) is simply stating that life is often harder if you are ugly.
    Yet it's not. There are plenty of people out that who are successful and happy and get treated well by people and can find partners easily and don't struggle interacting with new people, or getting a new job, or etc etc etc etc, and they're not even remotely good looking.

We live in a superficial world, granted, but I wouldn't say it was harder for less attractive people. Personality wise, perhaps.

Just not helpful, and also seems like a bit of an excuse to exclaim to TSR how attractive you are.
    Well considering I don't consider myself attractive, that throws your assumption out the window.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to impress people and if people treat you differently then that is their problem.

I agree with the poster who stated you may be dealing with fickle people and need to meet new people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supernova91)
    Seems to be associating with very fickle people !!!
    Possibly. I would like to find people not like this but it's easier said than done.

ReputationRep:
    Yet it's not. There are plenty of people out that who are successful and happy and get treated well by people and can find partners easily and don't struggle interacting with new people, or getting a new job, or etc etc etc etc, and they're not even remotely good looking.

We live in a superficial world, granted, but I wouldn't say it was harder for less attractive people. Personality wise, perhaps.

Well considering I don't consider myself attractive, that throws your assumption out the window.
    I'm a guy for clarification and not going to rate you, but if you were attractive people would like you. Idk, that sounds harsh but it just seems objective? If we're being honest with ourselves that's how it looks.

ReputationRep:
    If a joke is funny, someone will laugh! You need to say it with the right facial expressions and actions and voice. I don't think I've ever laughed at a joke because the girl had big bosoms or a cute face

ReputationRep:
    This is true however it does help. Ugly people don't even have the ability to be liked based on looks alone

ReputationRep:

Psychological research shows that attractive people are both liked and respected more, so even on that basis alone, life is generally easier for attractive people.

Edit: Not to say that ugly people aren't liked! They are. I'm talking in terms of relatives here, and when other factors are constant.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.