Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer from Newnham college today to study NatSci.
    I was really surprised as I thought my interview went really badly and for sure I wasn't going to get an offer.
    So I never bothered checking things like the cost of accommodation at Cambridge and the cost of living.
    However, due to a change in circumstances I now have to!
    I'm told the approx annual living cost is £8500 (including rent and personal expenses) , this is on top of tuition fees.

I know that my student loan and maintenance loans will cover most of these costs but I'm really worried they won't cover enough and I'm really not going to be able to afford the rest.

Do I have to give up Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    Contact the university/college, there are lots of schemes designed for exactly this purpose that you may be able to take advantage of. At least at my college, it is their policy that no student should have to drop out due to financial issues.

ReputationRep:
    Even if it is onerous, consider also the option of financing it with debt and paid summer internships. This is a once in a life time opportunity, you will get one of the best qualifications in the world, look at it as an investment. Besides, tuition in the UK is low when compared to the US, the only other place that offers degree of similar quality. (Northwestern, a good but not great university, has tuition of about $70K per year.) Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge is one of the cheapest uni to go to because their colleges offer accommodation for at least 3 yrs (and most of them for duration of your course if it's 4 yrs). You only need to pay for the duration you're in residence of the accommodation, unlike private accommodation for which you'll be on yearly-contract.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chedda)
    I was really surprised as I thought my interview went really badly and for sure I wasn't going to get an offer.
    So I never bothered checking things like the cost of accommodation at Cambridge and the cost of living.
    I'm told the approx annual living cost is £8500 (including rent and personal expenses) , this is on top of tuition fees.
    Where are you getting that figure from? I'm at Oxford but it costs me nowhere near that much, probably less than £5000. I find the £8500 figure very hard to believe, are you sure that's not for postgrads or something who have to live there year round?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, the living costs at other universities will likely be more. Houses in Cambridge for most people are really expensive and one of the main reasons for that is that the university owns EVERYTHING and they rent buildings out cheaply to their students. They've also got money to burn and will likely be generous with bursuries. Contact them about it if you're worried.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chedda)

I know that my student loan and maintenance loans will cover most of these costs but I'm really worried they won't cover enough and I'm really not going to be able to afford the rest.

Do I have to give up Cambridge?
    Cambridge is very affordable for a UK student. Accommodation is much cheaper than most other universities.

Your maintenance loan will be more than sufficient, but if you are from a lower income family you will also automatically qualify for a Cambridge Bursary of up to £3500 a year on top.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/cambridgebursary/uk/

For UK students Cambridge itself says

"At Cambridge, we don’t want financial considerations to stop you from applying to the University. Equally, we want to ensure that you have the financial support you need while you are here."

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Where are you getting that figure from? I'm at Oxford but it costs me nowhere near that much, probably less than £5000. I find the £8500 figure very hard to believe, are you sure that's not for postgrads or something who have to live there year round?
    That's the figure that Cambridge themselves recommended on the sheets they sent out with offers. They broke it down into:
    4,300 for rent
    1,800 for food/college meal charge
    1,400 for books/clothes
    1000 misc

Would you say thats an overestimate on their behalf then?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liziepie)
    That's the figure that Cambridge themselves recommended on the sheets they sent out with offers. They broke it down into:
    4,300 for rent
    1,400 for books/clothes
    1000 misc

To start: books from the library, new clothes very optional, and rent can be lower (my son is 3000).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    4,300 for rent
    1,400 for books/clothes
    1000 misc

All 4 of those are massive overestimates, I spent £5500 last year
    Books are free, food is not even remotely close to that amount, and rent as Jneill said is approx. 3k a year

ReputationRep:
    How much maintenance loan can you get?

Add in the Cambridge bursary and budget living and I think you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    1,400 for books/clothes
    £1,400 for books and clothes? It would be a very fashion-conscious narcissist student who spent that in a year. You know what students get for Christmas and birthday presents? Clothes.

ReputationRep:
    Check how the uni can help you. There are usually loads of bursaries that you could possibly qualify for that would help with the costs.

Also, can do what most students do and find a part time job to add some income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devify)
    Not in Cambridge you can't...

ReputationRep:
    4,300 for rent
    1,400 for books/clothes
    1000 misc

My daughter never spent so much on 'books/clothes'.
    To start with, you hardly need to buy so many books as you can borrow almost all books you need for your course from the college/department/libraries. If your college library doesn't have it, you can request them to get it for you and more likely than not, they will.
    So it'd depend on how much you want to spend on your clothes which determines the expenditure in that part.

And as for the rent, except for newnham, all colleges offer a few options for accommodation with different rate. College-owned houses tend to be cheaper than purpose-built college accomm, so many people choose it. (It has an added bonus of not having to vacate it for every holiday period!)

ReputationRep:

Chedda

The university strongly advise AGAINST the students taking up a part-time job during terms as you won't be able to cope because their course is quite intense and demanding.
    But holidays are much longer than other unis, so many find a holiday job if they need to.
    also, all colleges offer various kinds of opportunities you can earn some extra cash, like working as a helper at college open days/conference, etc.,, a telephone campaigner for college fund-raising, working at a college bar, etc. etc..
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Edit: No need to answer, Vincrows has it covered.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks guys I'm feeling a lot more reassured after reading the above.

Does anyone know how much I can expect to receive as student loan and maintenance loan if I'm from a low income background.
    My mum doesn't work, my dad earns around 26k per year and I have a big family

ReputationRep:
    Imagine reading this just after being rejected from your last hope of medicine from a standard uni...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flappydina)
    Imagine reading this just after being rejected from your last hope of medicine from a standard uni...
    Really sorry to hear that, hopefully you can still do something great with your back up course

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.