Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Be insanely attractive with average to low intelligence
    OR
    Be unattractive but incredibly clever

Call me shallow but I'd pick the first
    2nd without a doubt. Intelligence gets you money. Money gets you plastic surgery, so now you're intelligent and good looking. Unfortunately though, money cant buy intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd rather be clever TBH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CraigBackner)
    number 1 anyday, imagine the amount of money cud make, intelligence has little correlation to money
    I think you vastly underestimate the amount of very attractive people (especially women) and overestimate the amount of very clever people, and the opportunities available to both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwerty178)
    I think you vastly underestimate the amount of very attractive people (especially women) and overestimate the amount of very clever people, and the opportunities available to both.
    care to elaborate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stella Rubae)
    2nd without a doubt. Intelligence gets you money. Money gets you plastic surgery, so now you're intelligent and good looking. Unfortunately though, money cant buy intelligence.
    Intelligence gets you money?

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence gets you money?
    Most the kids at the top unis who go into banking earning like 4 times the average graduate salary in their first year out of uni didnt just get there with hard work alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stella Rubae)
    Mine certainly has.
    Oh, so ur rich?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, so ur rich?
    i edited my reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CraigBackner)
    care to elaborate?
    There's a lot of very attractive people around that don't earn money due to their attractiveness. This is because being attractive by itself can only translate into few careers - mostly centered around modelling. People often think of actors as very attractive as well, but being a successful actor does require some degree of actual skill asides from beauty.

Regardless, what all of these professions have in common is that only the people at the VERY top earn a lot of money. For example, I've read a lot of articles about some of the gruelling things models have to go through, and the general vibe is that unless you're exceptionally well known, you don't actually earn that much money from it, even if you do get to travel around the world a bit.

Another aspect is that there is very little job security in these careers, both in the short and long term. In the short term, you may go through dry periods where there isn't that much work, so even if you do get paid a large chunk of money for one gig, you have to save a lot of it because you don't know when the next one is going to be. In the long term, your prospects are liable to decline very fast as you age and lose the beauty of youth.

On the other hand,if you're smart there a lot of ways to be making a lot of money before you're 30, with good job security, and very good career longevity. For example, the reason IT and CompSci graduates get paid so much right out of uni (especially in the USA) is because very few people are that good at maths and have the strength of logic necessary for programming. If you're good at maths, finance & banking careers also pay a lot and have very good long term prospects for largely the same reasons.

Moving away from STEM subjects, the same is true of practising law, although you probably don't get paid quite as much as IT and finance people. On the other hand, you also get to travel around a lot in all of the City law firms. It's all a matter of demand and supply - the reasons these jobs pay so much right out of uni is that not many people are capable enough of doing them to the desired standard. And you don't need to be in the top 0.0x% in the profession to make very good money like you need to do in aesthetics-based careers.

ReputationRep:
    Someone who is insanely attractive but dumb can get lots of money though modelling etc but they are still gonna be dumb. I couldn't even imagine a life where I was dumb, must be the most horrible torture there is to be told something and just not get it even though its so simple.

Someone who is insanely intelligent can change the world, burn a mark on history. The advantage in every situation imaginable from being that clever is something that cannot be appreciated enough. Take it from a (former xD) prodigy, intelligence isn't just a help in education, it will be your stuanchest ally for all of your life.

Anyhow, a man that works out enough can get reasonably attractive with just his body and very attractive with his personality on top of that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.