Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a UK student, starting my degree in September. I've applied to universities in both the UK and US and I don't yet know where I'll be going, but I've started looking into going into law for post-grad. (I'll be doing languages if I end up in the UK, don't know for sure what my major would be in the US)

To practise law in the US I know that you need a graduate degree (JD), and I wondered whether or not this would be the equivilant of a Law degree or GDL in the UK (ie if I were to take this, would I be able to take the bar exam in the UK without needing any other qualifications)? I know that you can't qualify in the US with a UK Law degree or law conversion.

Secondly, I know that you can also take the JD in Canada and Australia. Would these qualify you to take the bar in the UK or US?

Does anyone have any knowledge and/or experience on any of this? Or anything else that could help?

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.