Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bristol or Edinburgh for 6 month placement? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm a 2nd year uni student from Ireland and I am required to undertake a 6 month placement (June to December) as part of the course. I definitely want to do my placment in the UK and I am looking at two possible options in either Bristol or Edinburgh. While both seem equally good, I'm wondering which city would be better in terms of:

- price (which would be cheaper?)
    - being easy to get around
    - safety (from what I gather both are quite safe and I know every area will have their bad bits but I'd like to get opinions all the same)

_ student population
    _ nightlife
    _ taxi service

Being a student myself, I would like if possibe to share with other students and I wouldn't like to live on my own so any tips for house sharing would be greatly appreciated.

I'd love to hear people's opinions/advice on either city (or both if you've been to each!). As the placement is for 6 months I really want to make sure I've made the right choice so I would love any info at all. Thanks

(Just to add, I'm studying event management and PR)

ReputationRep:
    I've never been to Edinburgh but I lived in Bristol for three years when I did my undergrad

It's a lovely place, my favourite city in England by far. It's the second most expensive city in the UK after London but I don't know how that would compare with Dublin. Public transport is good, I think. First is a generally good service, it's just the buses that served my uni (UWE) were always packed and late. Temple Meads station is really easy to get to, just a short 10 minute walk from the city centre and the line serves loads of different areas of the UK.

Like you said, there's nicer areas and not so nice areas in every city but in Bristol I found the not so nice areas were easy to avoid. There's a place called Stoke's Croft just out of the city centre which gets a bad reputation but I think it's cool - I've never not felt safe walking through Bristol on my own at night.

Student life and nightlife are both excellent in Bristol, loads of bars and pubs. Some areas are more expensive than others, so places like Park Street will be dearer than those directly in the city, but student nights are cheap. I rarely got taxis when I lived in Bristol, but I know they're easy to get hold of and not outrageously expensive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.