Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done either and is willing to tell me a bit about its difficulty/what's involved/if you recommend it?

I'm trying to choose one between Computer Science and Classical Civilisation and my other GCSEs are english (both of them), maths, the 3 sciences, geography, RS, french and spanish.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh interesting choice.
    I do computing which is 60% coursework and 40% theory exam based, meaning if you don't test as well as you work in class, it's a good choice.
    I dont have any experience with classical civilisations, but I do Latin if that's similar? I'm not really sure what CS involves...
    If it's anything like Latin it will be challenging but ver manageable if you listen in class and put in time to revise even for the little quizes (it really helps in the long run)
    I'm naturally biased and would suggest Computing over CS, but you're best off asking your teachers.
    Would you like me to send you my OCR computing notes to give you an idea of the theory work to help you in your decision?
    And don't worry, you can probably change subjects if you hate the one you picked... I picked up computing at the end of year 10 and am still predicted an A* so it's not that big a deal if you work hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koala789)
    Ohh interesting choice.
    I do computing which is 60% coursework and 40% theory exam based, meaning if you don't test as well as you work in class, it's a good choice.
    I dont have any experience with classical civilisations, but I do Latin if that's similar? I'm not really sure what CS involves...
    If it's anything like Latin it will be challenging but ver manageable if you listen in class and put in time to revise even for the little quizes (it really helps in the long run)
    I'm naturally biased and would suggest Computing over CS, but you're best off asking your teachers.
    Would you like me to send you my OCR computing notes to give you an idea of the theory work to help you in your decision?
    And don't worry, you can probably change subjects if you hate the one you picked... I picked up computing at the end of year 10 and am still predicted an A* so it's not that big a deal if you work hard.
    Yes the notes you mentioned would be so so helpful!! Also, what other options did you pick?

ReputationRep:
    My notes are in an exam style Q&A format which helps me learn better, incase they look really odd!
    I'm sad to say that they're nowhere near done (still have to finish reperesentation of data, databases, networks and programming) but it can give you an idea of the content and what sort of questions can be asked (Excluding contextual 6 markers and algoritm 6 markers)
    You can also have a look at some past appers aswell; they might not make much sense but they give you an idea.
    I do (compulsory);
    English Lit
    English Lang
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Triple Science

And my options were;
    Latin
    Greek
    Computing
    History
    Spanish

And I'd say for these subjects the workload is full on but very manageable
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Computing Questions.pdf (88.9 KB, 84 views)

ReputationRep:
    My notes are in an exam style Q&A format which helps me learn better, incase they look really odd!
    I'm sad to say that they're nowhere near done (still have to finish reperesentation of data, databases, networks and programming) but it can give you an idea of the content and what sort of questions can be asked (Excluding contextual 6 markers and algoritm 6 markers)
    You can also have a look at some past appers aswell; they might not make much sense but they give you an idea.
    I do (compulsory);
    English Lit
    English Lang
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Triple Science

And my options were;
    Latin
    Greek
    Computing
    History
    Spanish

And I'd say for these subjects the workload is full on but very manageable
    Thank you so so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucreziag)
    Thank you so so much!
    Good luck!
    When are you making your decision?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!
    When are you making your decision?
    20th Feb and thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I take Classics it involves either Ancient Athens or Rome, The Odyssey or Metamorphoses and Pompeii or Sparta. I find Classics really interesting because it's like studying English lit, Ancient History, Drama, Philosophy, Art and several more subjects under one broad umbrella. Obviously, I'm gonna be very biased towards Classics. I'd say the hardest thing is the timing in exams because there a 6 mini 5 mark essays and 1 big 30 mark essay at the end but other than that it's very easy.

A couple of my friends dislike the coursework part of Computer Science but it really depends how you learn. (There are also people who like the coursework so much better then the final exam)

Good Luck with your choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoebemallow)
    I take Classics it involves either Ancient Athens or Rome, The Odyssey or Metamorphoses and Pompeii or Sparta. I find Classics really interesting because it's like studying English lit, Ancient History, Drama, Philosophy, Art and several more subjects under one broad umbrella. Obviously, I'm gonna be very biased towards Classics. I'd say the hardest thing is the timing in exams because there a 6 mini 5 mark essays and 1 big 30 mark essay at the end but other than that it's very easy.

A couple of my friends dislike the coursework part of Computer Science but it really depends how you learn. (There are also people who like the coursework so much better then the final exam)

Good Luck with your choice
    Oh that's interesting. My school doesn't offer Classical Studies but I do classics (latin and greek).
    Similarly they are very timed pressured (In literature you have 2 hours to write 4 x full essays, 4 x 2 paragraphs of an esay, 4 x 1 paragraph of an essay, and 2 x translations of prose and verse)

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's interesting. My school doesn't offer Classical Studies but I do classics.
    Similarly they are very timed pressured (In literature you have 2 hours to write 4 x full essays, 4 x 2 paragraphs of an esay, 4 x 1 paragraph of an essay, and 2 x translations of prose and verse)
    So would you discourage it? Do you always run out of time in exams?

ReputationRep:
    Coursework had me stressed this time around; A452 was dead easy and the explanation of A453 was too but I was stuck on the coding for the final task of A453 forever and that stopped me from completing the investigation. (I'm talking about ocr as an examboard; I dont have any experience with any other exam board for Computing) You've gotta be resilient and patient when it's about coding, it could be a mismatched bracket or a colon or a spelling mistake that's screwing with you.

Also the exam questions are most of the times about common sense (I've barely had time to do the exam spec for computing because of cw and computing mocks nearly kicked me up the ass if it were not for my common sense kicking in.) You'll have to give really obvious at times to satisfy the mark scheme. I think it's a brill subject and I'm sad I'm not going to be able to pick it for A-levels and I definitely recommend it but I think it all comes down to whether you like the sound of Classics or Computing better.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.