Computer Science Or Classical Civilisation??

Watch
TSR George
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Computer Science Or Classical Civilisation GCSE??
Last edited by RK; 3 months ago
koala789
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ohh interesting choice.
I do computing which is 60% coursework and 40% theory exam based, meaning if you don't test as well as you work in class, it's a good choice.
I dont have any experience with classical civilisations, but I do Latin if that's similar? I'm not really sure what CS involves...
If it's anything like Latin it will be challenging but ver manageable if you listen in class and put in time to revise even for the little quizes (it really helps in the long run)
I'm naturally biased and would suggest Computing over CS, but you're best off asking your teachers.
Would you like me to send you my OCR computing notes to give you an idea of the theory work to help you in your decision?
And don't worry, you can probably change subjects if you hate the one you picked... I picked up computing at the end of year 10 and am still predicted an A* so it's not that big a deal if you work hard.
koala789
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My notes are in an exam style Q&A format which helps me learn better, incase they look really odd!
I'm sad to say that they're nowhere near done (still have to finish reperesentation of data, databases, networks and programming) but it can give you an idea of the content and what sort of questions can be asked (Excluding contextual 6 markers and algoritm 6 markers)
You can also have a look at some past appers aswell; they might not make much sense but they give you an idea.
I do (compulsory);
English Lit
English Lang
Maths
Further Maths
Triple Science

And my options were;
Latin
Greek
Computing
History
Spanish

And I'd say for these subjects the workload is full on but very manageable
Attached files
koala789
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Good luck!
When are you making your decision?
username2525965
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I take Classics it involves either Ancient Athens or Rome, The Odyssey or Metamorphoses and Pompeii or Sparta. I find Classics really interesting because it's like studying English lit, Ancient History, Drama, Philosophy, Art and several more subjects under one broad umbrella. Obviously, I'm gonna be very biased towards Classics. I'd say the hardest thing is the timing in exams because there a 6 mini 5 mark essays and 1 big 30 mark essay at the end but other than that it's very easy.

A couple of my friends dislike the coursework part of Computer Science but it really depends how you learn. (There are also people who like the coursework so much better then the final exam)

Good Luck with your choice
koala789
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by phoebemallow)
I take Classics it involves either Ancient Athens or Rome, The Odyssey or Metamorphoses and Pompeii or Sparta. I find Classics really interesting because it's like studying English lit, Ancient History, Drama, Philosophy, Art and several more subjects under one broad umbrella. Obviously, I'm gonna be very biased towards Classics. I'd say the hardest thing is the timing in exams because there a 6 mini 5 mark essays and 1 big 30 mark essay at the end but other than that it's very easy.

A couple of my friends dislike the coursework part of Computer Science but it really depends how you learn. (There are also people who like the coursework so much better then the final exam)

Good Luck with your choice
Oh that's interesting. My school doesn't offer Classical Studies but I do classics (latin and greek).
Similarly they are very timed pressured (In literature you have 2 hours to write 4 x full essays, 4 x 2 paragraphs of an esay, 4 x 1 paragraph of an essay, and 2 x translations of prose and verse)
saharan_skies
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Coursework had me stressed this time around; A452 was dead easy and the explanation of A453 was too but I was stuck on the coding for the final task of A453 forever and that stopped me from completing the investigation. (I'm talking about ocr as an examboard; I dont have any experience with any other exam board for Computing) You've gotta be resilient and patient when it's about coding, it could be a mismatched bracket or a colon or a spelling mistake that's screwing with you.

Also the exam questions are most of the times about common sense (I've barely had time to do the exam spec for computing because of cw and computing mocks nearly kicked me up the ass if it were not for my common sense kicking in.) You'll have to give really obvious at times to satisfy the mark scheme. I think it's a brill subject and I'm sad I'm not going to be able to pick it for A-levels and I definitely recommend it but I think it all comes down to whether you like the sound of Classics or Computing better.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed