Studying A Streetcar Named Desire Looking For Extended Reading Watch

snipecaik
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
As the title states, I am studying, Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Desire, for those who haven't read the play, it deals with themes of sexuality, prostitution, mental illness, social norms in 1940s America, the 'old' south, the industrial north, escapism and the role of females during 1940s America. Does anyone have any recommendations for extended, contextual reading? It is surprisingly difficult to find context. Any advice is appreciated.
CivilAsAnOrange
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Cat on a hot tin roof? Also there's a couple of Edgar Alan Poe references so you could lok at some of his poems?
georgia.roberts
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anything that mentions The American Dream was a great help for me. This prezi presentation may help: https://prezi.com/nzcu-j-h7nrs/a-str...it-in-context/
Mostly I looked up how women were treated unfairly in the 40's, how mental illnesses were viewed at that time. I'm pretty sure Tennesse Williams' sister had a lobotomy, so that's a bit of context. I think Blanche's character was based on his sister.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (143)
24.49%
Pop (142)
24.32%
Jazz (26)
4.45%
Classical (32)
5.48%
Hip-Hop (103)
17.64%
Electronic (42)
7.19%
Indie (96)
16.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise