Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Struggling with A-Level English Lit.. how can I improve? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've only been at sixth form for 4 months, (Year 12) and I'm really struggling with English Lit already. Obviously its a lot more difficult than GCSE, higher workload, more essays etc. and I've gone from a B at GCSE to an E at A-Level. I'm finding essays really hard, I don't seem to be including enough detail, or going into depth like I should be. I just end up feeling really confused and stuck and don't know what to write when it comes to essays.

My most recent task was to write a few paragraphs comparing The Bloody Chamber and an extract from Pride and Prejudice, which is already a week overdue because every time I try to write it, I end up staring at a blank page. I understand the story and the meaning behind it, I just can't make the right links or put what I'm thinking into words . I even emailed my teacher for help and she gave me plenty of suggestions but I'm just confused, stuck and feeling very stressed about English Lit rn. Any advice would be appreciated :/

ReputationRep:
    I don't study the same texts as you, but I am also an AS student. I have had a lot of success with my essays so far so I would be more than happy to help. But first, ask your teachers where you are dropping marks. Is it for example, the lack of literary techniques, the lack of clarity, perhaps even context or tentative interperetation.
    I think the main thing is making sure you are analysing in depth, when you take a quote relevant to the theme you are discussing, make sure you are acknowledging a literary device which exemplifies what the author is trying to portray. Even try analysing certain words and why the author used that word instead of something else. Linking this to both the question and the content of the book is very important too. Something which also gains marks and is a very valuable skill is offering a possible interpretation on a wider scale, eg. Perhaps ... did this because...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie.mn)
    I don't study the same texts as you, but I am also an AS student. I have had a lot of success with my essays so far so I would be more than happy to help. But first, ask your teachers where you are dropping marks. Is it for example, the lack of literary techniques, the lack of clarity, perhaps even context or tentative interperetation.
    I think the main thing is making sure you are analysing in depth, when you take a quote relevant to the theme you are discussing, make sure you are acknowledging a literary device which exemplifies what the author is trying to portray. Even try analysing certain words and why the author used that word instead of something else. Linking this to both the question and the content of the book is very important too. Something which also gains marks and is a very valuable skill is offering a possible interpretation on a wider scale, eg. Perhaps ... did this because...
    Thank you for replying! As far as I know, its the analysing that I need to improve on, I feel like I'm still stuck in the GCSE style of writing. My teacher told me that instead of writing a point, and linking it to maybe one thing and moving on, I need to go into more depth, link it to other parts of the book/play/poem, add context and things like that. I konw where I need to improve really but I still struggle, as soon as I go to write the essay I go blank. I rely on the internet quite a bit, of course I don't plagiarise but I use it to help with ideas and points, I don't really know if thats a bad thing or not but I guess the fact that I'm working an E at the moment isn't really making me feel postitive about my work, its such a drop from GCSE when I was getting As in all my assesments and got a B in the GCSE exam.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.