Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickie89uk)
    I meant this in terms of A levels etc because I worry it'll make me learn 2 years of information in a single year.... I want to be prepared for that
    Thanks
    Having done a levels (back in 2006) and the foundation year id say passing foundation year is less difficult than getting AAA at A Level. There is a lot to learn and you will have to work hard but not all topics from a level are covered. The course it tailored to match medicine/dentistry/veterinary science at Liverpool so some topics aren't covered such as photosynthesis but others may be in greater depth. You also have to do a health promotion and professional studies which teach different skills to science A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amberooney)
    Having done a levels (back in 2006) and the foundation year id say passing foundation year is less difficult than getting AAA at A Level. There is a lot to learn and you will have to work hard but not all topics from a level are covered. The course it tailored to match medicine/dentistry/veterinary science at Liverpool so some topics aren't covered such as photosynthesis but others may be in greater depth. You also have to do a health promotion and professional studies which teach different skills to science A levels.
    Ah ok thanks I did wonder how the learning would be obviously chemistry and bio are very difficult at A levels and so to do all that in one year scared me.... now I'm not so freightened thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    I just spoke to carmen nunez’ colleague who suggested askingbhere for ideas about interview questions and she said that people on here have applied to Liverpool through year 0 and would be able to tell us what they put in ps that wasn’t relevant and point me in a general direction. As many applicants aren’t in education currently and so wouldn’t fit into a scenario where teachers can assist them in writing an excellent ps.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by torsby)
    I just spoke to carmens colleague who suggested askingbhere for ideas about interview questions and she said that people on here have applied to Liverpool through year 0 and would be able to tell us what they put in ps that wasn’t relevant and point me in a general direction. As many applicants aren’t in education currently and so wouldn’t fit into a scenario where teachers can assist them in writing an excellent ps.

Thanks
    Hi pal.
    I am unsure what you're actually asking for here ?
    When it comes to my personal statement I searched the Internet for examples and found this helped me to structure mine. I put in about my motivation for medicine , work experience and small amount of information about my personal interests.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonylav)
    Hi pal.
    I am unsure what you're actually asking for here ?
    When it comes to my personal statement I searched the Internet for examples and found this helped me to structure mine. I put in about my motivation for medicine , work experience and small amount of information about my personal interests.
    Yeah that’s the issue I’ve spent 3 weeks writing my first draft and I have about 5 lines because I keep deleting things then Writing then deleting it’s so tough

So do I write why I want to be a doctor or just what attracted me to Medicine in the first place like activities and experiences. I’m unsure whether to write I want to be a doctor/study medicine because or whether to just explain what I did at a time when medicine impacted my life in such a way that I knew that being a doctor was the only path that I wanted to pursue.

I mean 4000 characters is really short I could talk about determine motivation and life experience alone and full up 10,000 words. I’m finding this hard I don’t have a past teacher to help me it’s been years and I don’t have anyone I know in medicine or nursing.

I will google medicine ps examples
    I feel like my personal and volunteering experience alone fills 3000 words I am not skilled at word restraints unfortunately.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    What I did was spent some time reading other people's and highlighting ideas and language I liked. Things they had mentioned that I thought were good then just started working on mine.
    It took me about three months. Dont worry about editing it just sit and write then get some of your ideas out on paper.
    I broke mine down into
    Introduction - small amount myself and why medicine. Use a interesting opening sentence. NOT "I want to do medicine to help people ".
    Section about work experience in hospital.
    Section about my experience in a hospice
    Small section about my hobbies ( running for charity. )
    Then a bit of a "pick me I'm committed" finisher

ReputationRep:
    What I did was spent some time reading other people's and highlighting ideas and language I liked. Things they had mentioned that I thought were good then just started working on mine.
    It took me about three months. Dont worry about editing it just sit and write then get some of your ideas out on paper.
    I broke mine down into
    Introduction - small amount myself and why medicine. Use a interesting opening sentence. NOT "I want to do medicine to help people ".
    Section about work experience in hospital.
    Section about my experience in a hospice
    Small section about my hobbies ( running for charity. )
    Then a bit of a "pick me I'm committed" finisher
    Where did you find such personal statements to read I’m finding ones from 2007 etc. I’ve got a good body and my opening is unique I doubt many will have had my experiences and so I’ve started with an anecdote.

The ending is tough too how do you say pick me without sounding over confident

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I mean it doesn't really matter how old they are if you like the content. I think I used ones from Similar sort of years.
    Sounds like you will be fine if you have such great experience.
    I can't remember what I ended with to be honest. Something like with my determination I know I can contribute to wider medicine and be a great dr. It was probably worded better but I will have a look tomorrow for it

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask does anyone get any living cost or bursary on the course, as in how are you paying for travel/rent/food. I'm saving but not sure I will have enough, is there any help apart from the course fee that we get help with ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicineMaybe)
    Can I ask does anyone get any living cost or bursary on the course, as in how are you paying for travel/rent/food. I'm saving but not sure I will have enough, is there any help apart from the course fee that we get help with ?
    Is this your first degree? Have you been to university before?

For your first degree you get a tuition fee loan and means assessed maintenance loans for living costs. There are also additional grants mostly for people with dependents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by torsby)
    Yeah that’s the issue I’ve spent 3 weeks writing my first draft and I have about 5 lines because I keep deleting things then Writing then deleting it’s so tough

So do I write why I want to be a doctor or just what attracted me to Medicine in the first place like activities and experiences. I’m unsure whether to write I want to be a doctor/study medicine because or whether to just explain what I did at a time when medicine impacted my life in such a way that I knew that being a doctor was the only path that I wanted to pursue.

I mean 4000 characters is really short I could talk about determine motivation and life experience alone and full up 10,000 words. I’m finding this hard I don’t have a past teacher to help me it’s been years and I don’t have anyone I know in medicine or nursing.

I will google medicine ps examples
    I feel like my personal and volunteering experience alone fills 3000 words I am not skilled at word restraints unfortunately.

Thanks
    you want a good intro / story about what drives you to want to be a doctor. in mine I added a little history so..

"after studying a degree in psychology, I found myself yearning to learn more about not just the brain but how the rest of the body interacts with the central nervous system'

Maybe give some insight into how you know you will enjoy medicine:

"whilst working as a care worker in my local community I gained experience in not only domiciliary care, but also in talking to clients, and working as part of an effective and co-ordinated team." or "watching my father as a GP showed me that medicine is hard work, and demands a lot from a person, but I believe the passion i have to help people will overcome these obstacles" or "spending time in hospital visiting my unwell grandma, I loved observing how the team of HCAs, nurses, and doctors all worked together to give her the care and attention she needed despite there being little they could do for her, it made me realise that medicine is so much more than just curing people with medicine and that actually empathy and good communication skills are key. During my charity work with macmillan cancer morningsI feel that I have developed the skills necessary to blah blah."

Give some examples of team work or when you have seen a multidisciplinary team working together well.

"When working at a local pub I planned charity functions such as fancy dress parties for red nose day and bake sales, working with the other staff members was good fun but also had its challenged when it came to planning etc etc.. I overcame this by having regular meetings and making sure everyone was happy with their role in our fundraising team"

"on work experience on surgery I loved shadowing the anaesthetist, as i got to see the whole journey that the patient took that day, and how many people are involved in patient care..its inspiring blah blah"

Give a bit about yourself and what you enjoy:

"In my spare time I enjoy nights out with friends, running, crafts, and attending the local knitting club. I find my hobbies are a great stress release from the demands of work, something I think is important for a person to ensure a good work life balance. "

None of that is actually from my PS but gives you an idea, and just shows you really don't need to waffle for 10000 words, you want short and snappy paragraphs which try and highlight the exact points that are relevant and they want to hear. They literally just wana know why, why now, how have your experiences helped you get here, how will your experiences help you in medicine, and what you like/who you are as a person, any skills you have developed from your experiences, and then end with a good closing statement. " a career in medicine would fulfil my life long dream to make a difference in peoples lives" "the life long learning that I will go through in a medical career fills me with excitement, and I look forward to developing the knowledge and skills to help patients" - basically just be yourself and tell them your best bits!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amberooney)
    Is this your first degree? Have you been to university before?

For your first degree you get a tuition fee loan and means assessed maintenance loans for living costs. There are also additional grants mostly for people with dependents.
    Hi,

Yes it is my first degree and I haven't been to uni before.

I will also be moving to Liverpool hopefully if I get an offer

ReputationRep:
    There are bursaries available for people studying this course. Some people within my group got the mature student bursary and the university of Liverpool bursary. I think you can check your eligibility on the Liverpool university website.

ReputationRep:
    There are bursaries available for people studying this course. Some people within my group got the mature student bursary and the university of Liverpool bursary. I think you can check your eligibility on the Liverpool university website.
    Thanks Antony, just checked looks good

ReputationRep:
    the course is really good! we are six weeks in now and although its fast paced and challeneging it is really enjoyable. ive found a few different presonal statements that i used to help structure my own and ive got a copy of mine and a few others off the course i anyone wants to chat about it just drop me a message. i by no means am a professional at personal statements it took me ages but any help or insight i can offer into the course, finances or the interview i will do my best to help . good luck if youre applying

ReputationRep:
    the course is really good! we are six weeks in now and although its fast paced and challeneging it is really enjoyable. ive found a few different presonal statements that i used to help structure my own and ive got a copy of mine and a few others off the course i anyone wants to chat about it just drop me a message. i by no means am a professional at personal statements it took me ages but any help or insight i can offer into the course, finances or the interview i will do my best to help . good luck if youre applying
    Hey Antony,

At carmel college are you taught in a classroom type or is it lecture type as in university. Im thinking of getting an Apple ipad for the course for me to work on as I have a iMac but dont think I can bring that over to Liverpool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicineMaybe)
    Hey Antony,

At carmel college are you taught in a classroom type or is it lecture type as in university. Im thinking of getting an Apple ipad for the course for me to work on as I have a iMac but dont think I can bring that over to Liverpool

Classroom, and when I was there most classes you were given booklets to fill out

There's a computer room you can use there for writing up your reflections and making your powerpoints etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeak)
    you want a good intro / story about what drives you to want to be a doctor. in mine I added a little history so..

"after studying a degree in psychology, I found myself yearning to learn more about not just the brain but how the rest of the body interacts with the central nervous system'

Maybe give some insight into how you know you will enjoy medicine:

"whilst working as a care worker in my local community I gained experience in not only domiciliary care, but also in talking to clients, and working as part of an effective and co-ordinated team." or "watching my father as a GP showed me that medicine is hard work, and demands a lot from a person, but I believe the passion i have to help people will overcome these obstacles" or "spending time in hospital visiting my unwell grandma, I loved observing how the team of HCAs, nurses, and doctors all worked together to give her the care and attention she needed despite there being little they could do for her, it made me realise that medicine is so much more than just curing people with medicine and that actually empathy and good communication skills are key. During my charity work with macmillan cancer morningsI feel that I have developed the skills necessary to blah blah."

Give some examples of team work or when you have seen a multidisciplinary team working together well.

"When working at a local pub I planned charity functions such as fancy dress parties for red nose day and bake sales, working with the other staff members was good fun but also had its challenged when it came to planning etc etc.. I overcame this by having regular meetings and making sure everyone was happy with their role in our fundraising team"

"on work experience on surgery I loved shadowing the anaesthetist, as i got to see the whole journey that the patient took that day, and how many people are involved in patient care..its inspiring blah blah"

Give a bit about yourself and what you enjoy:

"In my spare time I enjoy nights out with friends, running, crafts, and attending the local knitting club. I find my hobbies are a great stress release from the demands of work, something I think is important for a person to ensure a good work life balance. "

None of that is actually from my PS but gives you an idea, and just shows you really don't need to waffle for 10000 words, you want short and snappy paragraphs which try and highlight the exact points that are relevant and they want to hear. They literally just wana know why, why now, how have your experiences helped you get here, how will your experiences help you in medicine, and what you like/who you are as a person, any skills you have developed from your experiences, and then end with a good closing statement. " a career in medicine would fulfil my life long dream to make a difference in peoples lives" "the life long learning that I will go through in a medical career fills me with excitement, and I look forward to developing the knowledge and skills to help patients" - basically just be yourself and tell them your best bits!
    I have history of illness having been unwell for a long time but now better the research into my condition made me more interested in medicine than before.
    Is this something I can use and then give examples of what I saw or participated in. Then what I’ve learbt about Doctors a bit about my resilient in my battle and taking my own initiative to find a treatment that works. This was so helpful I have a personal statement base now but it’s 5000 character and 640 words 69 lines
    Not ideal

Thanks so much...

ReputationRep:
    Classroom, and when I was there most classes you were given booklets to fill out

There's a computer room you can use there for writing up your reflections and making your powerpoints etc.
    ah oh rite thanks, makes sense, ill get one for uni instead hopefully

ReputationRep:

Where will we live if we come from London?! Also what’s the deal with parking and cars please?!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

University of Liverpool Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Quick links:

Unanswered University of Liverpool ThreadsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other Liverpool applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.