Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Assignment on Ethical Dilemmas in nursing and can not think of a ethical dilemma. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    competency is a good one to look at - you can also look at it through mental health e.g. can someone who attempted suicide decide to refuse treatment or should someone with long term treatment resistant anorexia be forcibly treated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    competency is a good one to look at - you can also look at it through mental health e.g. can someone who attempted suicide decide to refuse treatment or should someone with long term treatment resistant anorexia be forcibly treated
    Thank you for your reply! I like the argument about whether a person should be forcibly treated. Free will vs danger to themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbhjuststop)
    Thank you for your reply! I like the argument about whether a person should be forcibly treated. Free will vs danger to themselves.
    there have been several court cases with regards to anorexia - patients who have been severely ill for a long time saying they understand (have competency) and should be allowed to starve to death - which you could refer to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perserverance)
    I've had a bit of experience with mental nursing and it put me off too...

I rejected a mental healthcare worker job because felt like I'd not cope with it
    I got qualified as a mental health nurse then quit as I didn't think I'd cope. Ethical dilemma's I came across where things like if a patient has dementia and they regularly ask you where one of their relatives are (and you know the relative died a while ago), what do you say to them? It breaks many rules of being a nurse to be dishonest but do you regularly upset the patient? People mentioned forced medication too which is an ethical dilemma I was against it at first but looking at patients in the community who stop taking their medication and the impact it has on their lives I think it's something that in society we don't have much choice over. Maybe getting everyone to sign something similar to an advanced directive at a young age to indicate if they wish to be treated if they lose capacity could help. I'l have a think and post more later as I need to nip out ha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigofox)
    if a patient has dementia and they regularly ask you where one of their relatives are (and you know the relative died a while ago), what do you say to them?
    This seems to me much more the kind of ethical dilemma that an individual nurse might have to work through for herself, and the kind of thing I imagined that the thread might be asking for. Perhaps as well talking to parents who have an unrealistically optimistic sense of likely outcomes for their very sick child: do I provide a more realistic prognosis or let them believe what gets them through the night?

Some of these others more obviously pertain to policy issues in healthcare, to be resolved by government committees or the RCN: are 'ethical dilemmas in Nursing', rather than '... in nursing', if you see what I mean.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.