The Student Room Group

Need help picking a 'Ethical Dilemma' about mental health for a presentation.

I have been given an assignment on my access to nursing course called Ethical Dilemmas and have to complete a 10 minute presentation on the question of my choice relating to nursing. I would like to make mine either mental health or substance (drug or alcohol) related.

Examples of people in my class' dilemmas are:

Should IVF be available for women over the age of 40?

Should paramedics be sent to people under the influence?

Should teenagers under the age of 16 be prescribed anti depressants without parental consent?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Should euthanasia be available for people with severe mental illnesses?
Reply 2
Original post by tbhjuststop
I have been given an assignment on my access to nursing course called Ethical Dilemmas and have to complete a 10 minute presentation on the question of my choice relating to nursing. I would like to make mine either mental health or substance (drug or alcohol) related.

Should teenagers under the age of 16 be prescribed anti depressants without parental consent?

How about sectioning people of poor mental health? On the one hand they may be a risk to themselves, but on the other you are taking away their free will. You can go into some debate about if and when it is appropriate and also talk about forcefully medicating people.
There is more to this with children being sectioned and taken away from their parents who would have been able to care for them. They are sometimes worse off in the facilities as they are not taken care of properly (mistakes with medication, neglecting certian aspects of care etc) and they are often far away from family and friends so do not get the emotional support they would at home. I read a news story about a boy who ran away multiple times after being sectioned and even swam across a river to get home. Obviously in that case he was at a lot of risk and you could easily argue that proper care was not taken as he managed to run away so often.

The one about people under 16 sounds like it could be interesting too. You could also look into if treatments like therapy should require parental permission or if parents should be told. I know a lot of teenagers who are scared to get help because their parents may be informed.

There is also a debate about euthanasia for mental health. Some people believe that cronic mh issues should be treated as terminal illnesses and that euthanasia should be an option, but others believe it would be too risky as people could be given the option of euthanasia when they could be treated and recover.

If you wanted to look into substances I guess you could look at the legalisation of weed (but i'm not sure that's medical enough for you). It can be used to treat various conditions and is arguably no more (or even less) harmfull than smoking. If it were legal it would benefit people with medical conditions. There are places in America where it has been legalised either fully or just for medical use so you could look for evidence for your arguments there.

Hope some of that helps a bit. Good luck with your presentation :smile:
Original post by tbhjuststop

Looking at Community Treatment Orders is an interesting one - if they unnecessarily restrain human rights.

Or looking at substance misuse and the mental health act - should we be able to detain those with alcohol/drug dependency?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest