Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really want to study veterinary medicine but I know it's really hard to get into. I've seen this course at Nottingham Trent and it's like my dream course as I love sports aswell (will be do pe for a level, alongside biology & chemistry). I was wondering how easy/hard to go on to do veterinary medicine & physiotherapy. Also if anyone was doing this course and what they thought about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyliulu)
    I really want to study veterinary medicine but I know it's really hard to get into. I've seen this course at Nottingham Trent and it's like my dream course as I love sports aswell (will be do pe for a level, alongside biology & chemistry). I was wondering how easy/hard to go on to do veterinary medicine & physiotherapy. Also if anyone was doing this course and what they thought about it.
    Are you wanting to go on to study veterinary medicine when you finish? Or veterinary physiotherapy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizziefickling)
    Are you wanting to go on to study veterinary medicine when you finish? Or veterinary physiotherapy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Veterinary medicine preferably!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Veterinary medicine preferably!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok, coming from someone who's gone the graduate route into vet med, It's not something I would ever recommend. It's no easier to get in as a grad student than it is as a school leaver, it's just as competitive unfortunately. It's a long route, I'm now in my 5th year of university, 3 years of my previous degree and now I'm in my 3rd year of vet school, it's a long haul to the end believe me! I should have been graduating this year had I just done 5 years of vet school yet I'm only half way through! It's also very very expensive. You don't get a tuition fee loan, which means funding a minimum of £9000 a year yourself, which is hefty! I went the grad route because I didn't have A-levels, I had a national diploma and whilst I had the required grades, I didn't achieve a place therefore I went and did a degree to make my application stronger, but it was a last option for me, and I still had to get a 2:1 to get into vet school, and it still took me 2 attempts after graduating to get in. If vet med is really what you want to do then work hard at your A levels and you'll succeed, but leave grad vet med as a very last back up plan for if you have no other options (resits, gap year etc). If you're determined enough you can achieve anything!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok, coming from someone who's gone the graduate route into vet med, It's not something I would ever recommend. It's no easier to get in as a grad student than it is as a school leaver, it's just as competitive unfortunately. It's a long route, I'm now in my 5th year of university, 3 years of my previous degree and now I'm in my 3rd year of vet school, it's a long haul to the end believe me! I should have been graduating this year had I just done 5 years of vet school yet I'm only half way through! It's also very very expensive. You don't get a tuition fee loan, which means funding a minimum of £9000 a year yourself, which is hefty! I went the grad route because I didn't have A-levels, I had a national diploma and whilst I had the required grades, I didn't achieve a place therefore I went and did a degree to make my application stronger, but it was a last option for me, and I still had to get a 2:1 to get into vet school, and it still took me 2 attempts after graduating to get in. If vet med is really what you want to do then work hard at your A levels and you'll succeed, but leave grad vet med as a very last back up plan for if you have no other options (resits, gap year etc). If you're determined enough you can achieve anything!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I will definitely try to straight into veterinary medicine but I thought I might put this as my 5th choice or whether I should just take a gap year and reapply the next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I will definitely try to straight into veterinary medicine but I thought I might put this as my 5th choice or whether I should just take a gap year and reapply the next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd take a gap year and apply the next year, by all means put it as your 5th choice however you would be better off financially taking a gap year, then if all else fails after a gap year then go the grad route

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd take a gap year and apply the next year, by all means put it as your 5th choice however you would be better off financially taking a gap year, then if all else fails after a gap year then go the grad route

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay, thank you for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.