Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    Do you think that England should be for the English or be opened up to the world and everyone/anyone who wants to be allowed to live here?
    By English, are you referring to the people who were born here?

ReputationRep:
    As long as areas in England are mainly English people it's fine it is unfair to be pushed out of your country, mainly because of our own government. The UK shops, businesses, government has to adapt to the majority of UK people, so it is unfair if the majority aren't English as where would we live?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    English are anyone whose Great Grandparents were born here

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that England should be for the English or be opened up to the world and everyone/anyone who wants to be allowed to live here?
    All countries should **** of from regulating immigration in all but a minimal sense; if you're a criminal, you should not be allowed to migrate. Simple as.

But anybody who can get a job to support himself/herself, should be free to take that job and work, prove himself/herself and climb up the economic ladder. The state should back off. If employers want to hire natives so be it. If they want to hire non-residents and those non-residents want to take these jobs, the state should not interfere (again, unless the non-resident is a criminal).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    All countries should **** of from regulating immigration in all but a minimal sense; if you're a criminal, you should not be allowed to migrate. Simple as.

But anybody who can get a job to support himself/herself, should be free to take that job and work, prove himself/herself and climb up the economic ladder. The state should back off. If employers want to hire natives so be it. If they want to hire non-residents and those non-residents want to take these jobs, the state should not interfere (again, unless the non-resident is a criminal).
    Again someone else who is obsessed with money. If you live an an area where you no longer feel like it is your home then why would you want even more foreigners coming here. The state should protect the native culture and identity by completely halting all immigration.

ReputationRep:
    Again someone else who is obsessed with money. If you live an an area where you no longer feel like it is your home then why would you want even more foreigners coming here. The state should protect the native culture and identity by completely halting all immigration.
    I'm not obsessed with money. I want people to be free to define their lives. If you or your neighbours don't want to hire migrants and don't want to rent your properties to them, don't do it.

But don't prevent me and other people who have no problem with migrants, to hire them and to rent to them, etc.

The problem is not that people don't want migrants. It's that some people do and some don't. If it were so that most people feel like you do, immigrants would have no place to live in and no jobs to support themselves. But they do so clearly, people feel differently.

ReputationRep:

I can tell you have never experienced or lived in situations where you have to compete with migrants for jobs or live where they live.

I suppose you think 100% of a workforce in local factories being foreign is acceptable meaning higher local unemployment (which the numbers become skewed due to the population rising but employment staying the same)

Oh and less bad but still a little annoying is in recent years every time I went for college interviews there has always been a Polish person wanting to do skilled courses, they always ask the same question "will I get a grant to be here" and when asked how long they have been there they say "4 years" the minimum time to qualify for state stupport.
    • Very Important Poster

Apparently by Karls rule you can only be English if you are at least 4th generation and have a culture that is English or Irish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    I can tell you have never experienced or lived in situations where you have to compete with migrants for jobs or live where they live.

I suppose you think 100% of a workforce in local factories being foreign is acceptable meaning higher local unemployment (which the numbers become skewed due to the population rising but employment staying the same)

Oh and less bad but still a little annoying is in recent years every time I went for college interviews there has always been a Polish person wanting to do skilled courses, they always ask the same question "will I get a grant to be here" and when asked how long they have been there they say "4 years" the minimum time to qualify for state stupport.
    What's my first name? if you don't know the answer to that question, it's unlikely you know anything else about me. So don't bring my personal situation into this. Other than the fact that it is irrelevant, you know nothing about it.

Secondly, I'm neither fine nor the opposite at having 100% of a workforce in local factories being foreign. I'm in favour of the hiring managers at those factories hiring whomever they want, and I'm in favour of British workers working for whomever they want at whatever rate they want.

Did I answer your question?

And regarding that last paragraph, can you stop personalising a political issue? Personal anecdotes mean nothing. EU migrants are net fiscal contributors - especially those about whom you're talking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Apparently by Karls rule you can only be English if you are at least 4th generation and have a culture that is English or Irish.
    Interesting
    • Very Important Poster

Interesting
    I didnt get on to ask him about what eh would do with those that were only third generation or less or had a non irish culture.

ReputationRep:
    What's my first name? if you don't know the answer to that question, it's unlikely you know anything else about me. So don't bring my personal situation into this. Other than the fact that it is irrelevant, you know nothing about it.

Secondly, I'm neither fine nor the opposite at having 100% of a workforce in local factories being foreign. I'm in favour of the hiring managers at those factories hiring whomever they want, and I'm in favour of British workers working for whomever they want at whatever rate they want.

Did I answer your question?

And regarding that last paragraph, can you stop personalising a political issue? Personal anecdotes mean nothing. EU migrants are net fiscal contributors - especially those about whom you're talking.
    Personalising a political issue? Because I don't like when things like statistics are skewed to suit agendas and bias?

I don't think people should be punished but if British workforces are being fired and foreign to replace them then thats not right.

I can't bring in YOUR personal situation but you can bring up mine? Double standard there

Please enlighten me to where I said EU migrants WEREN'T contributors? Since i never said that.

By the way my grandparents were Polish migrants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    An "economic equalisation" would concretely mean a massive wealth transfer to Third world countries and we would be much poorer.
    It's not just a literal transfer of wealth to make them richer and us poorer, as though there's a limited amount of "money" in the world. It's more of a cooperation for mutual benefit.

For example, free movement gives companies a wider labour pool that they can employ people from, and access to a wider customer base that they can sell to. It gives individuals a greater choice of places they can go and work, and a wider choice of goods and services that they can purchase.

Overall, competitiveness increases which incentivises improvement in the quality of the goods and services we can all purchase (which is the whole point of being wealthy).

It would mean everyone is better off, although third world countries would improve more than first world countries.

ReputationRep:
    Your example doesn't make any sense if you look at a prosperous country like Japan or Germany they are very hard working and have a high wage manufacturing based economy.
    They would be even more prosperous with a larger, tariff free market they can sell to, and a wider potential workforce.

They just happen to be the ones who are ahead of the current competition.

Also the economy has recently seen a boost in manufacturing as our exports are more competitive so the Brexit stuff was kind of nonsense.
    Actually this statement is nonsense. It's like losing a £50 note, finding a £1 coin and then feeling really happy about it.

There's little point in receiving more money for our exports when the value of our money has nosedived so significantly, and anything we want to buy has become that much more expensive.

Overall, it's a matter of fact that our country is poorer since Brexit.

Also your replies are way too long/involved
    That's because they don't just consider the situation from a superficial point of view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    They would be even more prosperous with a larger, tariff free market they can sell to, and a wider potential workforce.

They just happen to be the ones who are ahead of the current competition.

Actually this statement is nonsense. It's like losing a £50 note, finding a £1 coin and then feeling really happy about it.

There's little point in receiving more money for our exports when the value of our money has nosedived so significantly, and anything we want to buy has become that much more expensive.

Overall, it's a matter of fact that our country is poorer since Brexit.

That's because they don't just consider the situation from a superficial point of view.
    you do realise that we haven't actually left the EU and any financial volatility can be expected from an uncertain political environment. Also the value of currency has gone down due to 'quantitative easing' and other factors. We won't know how Brexit will affect the economy long term for at least a decade.

ReputationRep:
    Considering the English/British empire colonized 1/4th of the word you have a bloody check to moan about foreigners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marcus2016)
    Considering the English/British empire colonized 1/4th of the word you have a bloody check to moan about foreigners.
    oh here we go this is another one of the most overused arguments. Firstly this happened over one hundred years ago. I was not alive then nor were you or anyone else in this country. Just because something bad happened in the distant past doesn't mean that we have to keep destroying our own nation because we feel bad. We also brought a lot of good things to the world through development and the industrial revolution. Almost all major nations have done bad things in the past.

ReputationRep:
    oh here we go this is another one of the most overused arguments. Firstly this happened over one hundred years ago. I was not alive then nor were you or anyone else in this country. Just because something bad happened in the distant past doesn't mean that we have to keep destroying our own nation because we feel bad. We also brought a lot of good things to the world through development and the industrial revolution. Almost all major nations have done bad things in the past.
    Well okay, lets go to a more modern time, Iraq and Libya both pretty big messes, both of which were contributed to by the UK (admittedly not the sole cause). Secondly you say "we have to keep destroying this country." Immigrants do not destroy this country, they contribute to it.

I would also just add this quote from the economist which is rather telling.
    By calculating European immigrants’ share of the cost of government spending and their contribution to government revenues, the scholars estimate that between 1995 and 2011 the migrants made a positive contribution of more than £4 billion ($6.4 billion) to Britain, compared with an overall negative contribution of £591 billion for native Britons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marcus2016)
    Well okay, lets go to a more modern time, Iraq and Libya both pretty big messes, both of which were contributed to by the UK (admittedly not the sole cause). Secondly you say "we have to keep destroying this country." Immigrants do not destroy this country, they contribute to it.

I would also just add this quote from the economist which is rather telling.
    By calculating European immigrants’ share of the cost of government spending and their contribution to government revenues, the scholars estimate that between 1995 and 2011 the migrants made a positive contribution of more than £4 billion ($6.4 billion) to Britain, compared with an overall negative contribution of £591 billion for native Britons.
    What's Iraq and Libya got to do with anything. Firstly the people of Libya wanted us to help them also I was against both of those conflicts. Most immigrants come from Pakistan. Also the other bit is kind of nonsense numerous studies have shown that immigration has no measurable effect on the economy. It also pushes down wages and increases house prices so the effects are diminished by this. Also as I said earlier I don't really care about the money side of it I meant gradually destroying our culture/way of life.

ReputationRep:
    All nations have a duty to serve and protect their own citizens over others, this works both ways. we need to cut immigration, lower foreign aid and improve relationships with the commonwealth and the Anglosphere

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.