Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm midway through AS levels now (I'm in year 12) and I'm seriously starting to worry about maths. Although I only got an A in it for GCSE, its one of my strongest points, and i enjoy it and need it for what i want to do at uni, so i took it for a level. In all honesty, at the start of y12 i didnt try as much as i should have, my grades arent amazing so far in maths, mostly C's and D's but i hope to pull this up to a B in my mock exams and hopefully an A in the real AS exams. My teacher says we are fairly behind (we havent even finished core 1) so Ive started to work a lot harder now because i know it will be a tight squeeze to finish everything for the real exam and im working harder for all my subjects, especially maths and started to revise things as i go along, my mindset has definitely improved, i know i can get the A, i just need to know as many ways that can help me get there. Any tips on how to secure an A in C1 and 2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study145)
    So, I'm midway through AS levels now (I'm in year 12) and I'm seriously starting to worry about maths. Although I only got an A in it for GCSE, its one of my strongest points, and i enjoy it and need it for what i want to do at uni, so i took it for a level. In all honesty, at the start of y12 i didnt try as much as i should have, my grades arent amazing so far in maths, mostly C's and D's but i hope to pull this up to a B in my mock exams and hopefully an A in the real AS exams. Ive started to work a lot harder now for all my subjects, especially maths and started to revise things as i go along, my mindset has definitely improved, i know i can get the A, i just need to know as many ways that can help me get there. Any tips on how to secure an A in C1 and 2?
    what revision techniques do you use?

ReputationRep:
    I used to be in the same situation as you, I worked hard but I wasn't getting the results for my AS Level. My solution was to work even more, I kept doing all of the pastpapers over and over. I assume that by now you've covered C1, do one past paper and see your weak points then open the topics and try to solve exercises in this particular topic. Then do another past paper, make sure you do the past paper under exam conditions, try to work out things on your own at first, if you really struggle then post a question on the forum and ask. You can even check my old studentroom posts and you'll see that I was bad with the most basic topics.

I struggled quite a bit in the beginning of AS but ended up getting a B, I was very upset, I worked harder during A2 and got a high A overall for Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minionzzz)
    what revision techniques do you use?
    First i go over the topics and make revision cards as a starter as it helps me remember what i did, then i try and practise questions from my textbook and any i can find online. I'm trying to save past paper questions until i feel like ive fully understood a concept, but sometimes i do use past paper questions if i cant find many questions elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm midway through AS levels now (I'm in year 12) and I'm seriously starting to worry about maths. Although I only got an A in it for GCSE, its one of my strongest points, and i enjoy it and need it for what i want to do at uni, so i took it for a level. In all honesty, at the start of y12 i didnt try as much as i should have, my grades arent amazing so far in maths, mostly C's and D's but i hope to pull this up to a B in my mock exams and hopefully an A in the real AS exams. My teacher says we are fairly behind (we havent even finished core 1) so Ive started to work a lot harder now because i know it will be a tight squeeze to finish everything for the real exam and im working harder for all my subjects, especially maths and started to revise things as i go along, my mindset has definitely improved, i know i can get the A, i just need to know as many ways that can help me get there. Any tips on how to secure an A in C1 and 2?
    It's definitely achievable. I'm a Year 13 student currently doing A2 Maths and I was in a worse situation this time last year, I got consistent U's in my mocks until March, where I literally watched and did example questions on examsolutions.net. I ended up with A's in C1, C2 and S1 and an A in AS Maths. You can do it!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    First i go over the topics and make revision cards as a starter as it helps me remember what i did, then i try and practise questions from my textbook and any i can find online. I'm trying to save past paper questions until i feel like ive fully understood a concept, but sometimes i do use past paper questions if i cant find many questions elsewhere.
    Those are some good methods. If you keep it up, i think you can do more than just pass.
    Some stuff that i would suggest. These are stuff that i do that may help (also a year 12 student)
    1) Make a folder or notebook and write out rules, equations, notes on how to tackle each type of question for each topic in c1 and c2. This way you have a compact book or folder full of "instructions" on how to basically do c1.
    2) Do loads of questions based on the topic you have been revising. for example, if you have been revising or going over differentiation c1, then after youve finished it, do alot of differentiation based questions. This will make sure you can tackle all the questions of that topic and you can get used to it too.
    3) i know what you're trying to say about the past paper thing but maybe (if you like) you could do like a past paper a month, then go over whatever you struggle with.

Tbf for maths i feel dong questions is the best method of revision, you can find them online or, i have a workbook for just core maths (includes c1 and c2 for as level) and is full of questions that i use all the time. you should invest in one, i dont know where to buy the one that i have as i have borrowed it from my college. But i can find it and let you know if you want.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!! You've been a great help, definitely going to do the folder idea, thank you
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laeliakiwi)
    Please don't link to stolen copyright resources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Please don't link to stolen copyright resources.
    That's stolen? I was unaware, sorry

ReputationRep:
    My class are doing AS maths over two years and we've nearly finished core 1! The other full math A level students have finished C1, C2, M1, S1 so far
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laeliakiwi)
    That's stolen? I was unaware, sorry
    I'm afraid so. The author sells his work here:

http://www.churchillmaths.co.uk/solomon-press-products/

ReputationRep:
    make sure you understand all the content, maybe watch some videos (hegarty maths does good videos for c1 and i think c2) if there's anything you don't remember/understand. do past paper questions and past papers, physics and maths tutor is great for those as they organise them by topic as well. i have a spreadsheet so i can track my grades i get in each past paper and write down my weak areas so i can target my revision. so long as you have an understanding, all you really need to do is practise practise practise so you don't forget anything and get used to exam style questions and also how they are marked (getting familiar with the mark scheme is great). If you're worried your class is behind then read ahead, even just briefly, it'll help you learn new things way easier and make learning c2 in a short amount of time not so intimidating.

ReputationRep:
    ****ing hell dude, either your class is extremely disruptive or you teacher is ****. You should have completed C1 a long time ago.... Im in A2 and i thought i was behind in further maths because we're only 3/4 the way through our second module. this time last year im pretty sure i'd Completed C1 and done half of C2 and S1. Not to worry you but i recommend going ahead of your class otherwise you're not even going to complete the course.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.