Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I become a competitive graduate entry medicine applicant? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

Basically, I'm looking to apply to St George's University's graduate entry medicine course. I'm currently a pharmacology student studying at a low-rank university. Not to mention, in terms of my level 3 education, I did a BTEC National Diploma in Applied Science (grade DM) which is equivalent to 2 A-levels or so I'm told. My GCSE's were all C's and B's, nothing higher or lower than that region.

Aside from work shadowing doctors and volunteering at hospitals and of course getting at least a 2:1 and making the GAMSAT cut off, is there any way I could make myself a competitive medicine applicant?

Should I take up an A level in Biology or Chemistry, or both? Should I perhaps pursue a masters degree beforehand?

Thanks for any feedback!

ReputationRep:
    SGUL don't consider academic qualifications outside of your undergrad degree, so pursuing additional A-levels is unlikely to gain you any advantages as you will show through the GAMSAT that you possess the scientific knowledge required to study medicine.

A Master's degree is also unlikely to give you little to no advantage in my opinion. SGUL, like some other universities (Warwick) don't give those with postgrad qualifications any additional benefit to their qualification (afaik). Plus it would mean another year+ out.

Interview performance is the area where you can showcase your strengths and individuality. I feel now as though many interviewers see through a lot of the ******** that people include in their PS and CV and rely more heavily on the candidates ability to translate what they have learnt into good interview performances. Hence the rising popularity of MMI and the varying interview stations which can include scenarios and roleplay.

Good work experience, insight into the profession (GMC guidelines, etc), and being comfortable with tackling the unknown (MMI gives very little time for you to prepare - and you truly never know what questions/scenarios you will face until the day itself) are in my opinion the attributes you should look to attain to become a strong applicant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.