Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am aiming for an A in maths at A-Level doing Edexcel. I was wondering how useful and actually how important they are. Like obviously doing every question in the book is good if you can do it but not very efficient. Just want everyone's thought and tagging some good mathematicians.

SeanFM Zacken RDKGames years101

ReputationRep:
    They're really good, the worksheets are extra practice and the practice papers are really good because they get harder and harder so you're really pushing yourself to make sure you understand everything inside out. I do OCR Mei and their worksheets aren't tailored to MEI but they got me an A in C1 and C2. Wish I used it for S1.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Emz99)
    Hi

I am aiming for an A in maths at A-Level doing Edexcel. I was wondering how useful and actually how important they are. Like obviously doing every question in the book is good if you can do it but not very efficient. Just want everyone's thought and tagging some good mathematicians.

They used to be very useful when the specification was relatively new as there weren't many past papers to use. Now there are so many past papers that they have ceased to be so important. Some TSR users have an insatiable appetite for resources and will disagree of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    They used to be very useful when the specification was relatively new as there weren't many past papers to use. Now there are so many past papers that they have ceased to be so important. Some TSR users have an insatiable appetite for resources and will disagree of course.
    Thank you and forgot to tag you lol. I guess it's good in the sense it prepares for you the harder stuff. I guess I will do 4-5 in conjunction with the last 10 past papers for each module. Also what exam board do you teach for A-Level? Would you agree Edexcel is way easier than OCR MEI?

ReputationRep:
    I prefer TeeEm's resources - madasmaths
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Emz99)
    What exam board do you teach for A-Level? Would you agree Edexcel is way easier than OCR MEI?
    I teach OCR A. If Edexcel was that much easier very few centres would offer OCR MEI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I teach OCR A. If Edexcel was that much easier very few centres would offer OCR MEI.
    Well that is true isn't it?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Emz99)
    Well that is true isn't it?
    Edexcel are less dominant in the A level mathematics market than they are in the GCSE market.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Emz99)
    Hi

I've never used Soloman papers for A-Level though I used one or two Mechanics 2 questions from Madasmaths. That's about it really.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.