Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I am currently in my second year of a BEng in electrical engineering at a brick university and I have my sights on studying an MSc in Theoretical Physics afterwards. Now, obviously my engineering background isn't going to adequately prepare me for this, so I am considering the option of transferring the credits that I will have, at the end of this academic year (240 credits), to an open degree, whereby I hope to study the modules; The quantum world, the relativistic universe, electromagnetism and complex analysis. To finish off my degree.

So what I would like to know is.

Would the open university allow me to study level 3 science/mathematics modules with them, without having completed any prior study with them, I know that I am capable of completing study at that level, given that I already own most of the materials for the above courses and have been self teaching.

Also, does anybody have experience in applying for postgraduate degrees with an open degree? I would assume that they would be more interested in the modules studied, as opposed to the name, would this assumption be correct?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes, the OU will let you - but I'm not sure this is such a good idea. A named degree is always better than an Open degree, and there must be physics conversion courses you can do instead?

I suggest you email postgrad admission tutors before you do anything, you never know, they might accept an engineering degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    x
    Hey, sorry to hijack this but I've noticed you're an OU student or have been, can I just ask how long student finance England took to process if it was England? Ty!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by augustvv)
    Hey, sorry to hijack this but I've noticed you're an OU student or have been, can I just ask how long student finance England took to process if it was England? Ty!
    To process the loan? Erm... about a month, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by js93uk)
    Basically, I am currently in my second year of a BEng in electrical engineering at a brick university and I have my sights on studying an MSc in Theoretical Physics afterwards. Now, obviously my engineering background isn't going to adequately prepare me for this, so I am considering the option of transferring the credits that I will have, at the end of this academic year (240 credits), to an open degree, whereby I hope to study the modules; The quantum world, the relativistic universe, electromagnetism and complex analysis. To finish off my degree.

So what I would like to know is.

Would the open university allow me to study level 3 science/mathematics modules with them, without having completed any prior study with them, I know that I am capable of completing study at that level, given that I already own most of the materials for the above courses and have been self teaching.

Also, does anybody have experience in applying for postgraduate degrees with an open degree? I would assume that they would be more interested in the modules studied, as opposed to the name, would this assumption be correct?
    Many universities may consider you for that course , provided you've learnt a Physics related course for it (e.g. KCL seems to accept a few engineering students).

I'd recommend emailing a bunch of uni, and asking if they may accept EE as an alternative degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    To process the loan? Erm... about a month, I think.
    Good to hear, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I have emailed a few universities and have recieved quite a positive response, I would still like to study some of the open universities modules however, so I may study the quantum mechanics course alongside my final year and just pay for it myself.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.