Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm successful but depressed, sad and lonely inside Watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pulsecube)
    I'm a gay, male nurse in my early twenties. I got a first in my degree, have three A* grades at A-level in good subjects, and work in one of the busiest hospital departments in the country. I love my job; I work extra shifts a lot to distract myself from not having much of a personal life, and to distract me from my depression, which I take medication for, for the last four years.

I'm always upbeat at work; people know me as chatty, friendly and a hard-worker. I'm outgoing and confident in all aspects of my life; I'm always up for anything new and like to have fun. My mental pain is immense. I'm overworked (partly through choice), I have a lot of personal issues and I'm lonely. I see and deal with immense physical and emotional pain from patients every time I'm at work; I see the very best and the very worst of humanity all the time.

When I'm at home I can't stand to be on my own. I have a few friends but I don't do much with them outside of work because they're not that sort of people. I feel like giving my best at work is never good enough and that I've let myself, my colleagues and my patients down. I feel worthless, stupid and like nothing. I feel lonely, inferior and just sad. I cry when I'm on my own, I book more shifts than I should so I'm around people and have things to do. I give my absolute best to this job and it always feels like it's not good enough, which makes me feel like a failure, that nobody wants me, that nobody will ever want to be with me, even though I'm outgoing and decent-looking, with a professional job, earn 30k and have a caring heart. I don't know what to do.
    your friends dont like to go out and have fun?....lol mate, I think you need new friends then

I would just like to say that I am in no way shape or form to deal with mental issues so this should be taken with a grain of salt.
    The thing that strikes me about this is that your personal life is lonely, try fix that first:
    If your good at a sport join a local club, it can be a great way to get to know people (although if your not good get good first before you join).
    Download grindr or another dating app, talking to people, even online can help you remember that your not lonely.
    I hope that my wonderfully cliche answers helped, hopefully it all gets better soon

ReputationRep:
    OP, I'm sorry about your situation and I hope it gets much better for you. Like others have said, it sounds like you're lonely. You need to confront this loneliness rather than running away from it by way of work. Put yourself out there and meet new people, there are some amazing and interesting people out there. If you feel inferior, work on that because people can sense it. Even if you put up a confident, bubbly image, people will not be drawn to you if you're broken inside.
    Ask yourself why you feel inferior. Did anything occur in your life that would cause you to feel this way? Are you using success to make up for a lack of self esteem? If you rectify your internal state, I'm sure your external state will follow.

Good luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.