Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 11 and hoping to take both maths and further maths next year (as I'd like to do either physics or engineering at university).

Im kinda worried about how I'm going to cope as I really need to get an A* in maths (in order to get into a good university) but i do find maths not the easiest subject.

Im predicted an 8 (i do feel like I'm capable of a 9 if I try really hard). And although I'm near the top of my maths class I still find the subject the hardest out of all of my other ones.

So I'm just wondering how hard it's gonna be? I've read a lot about how even people who get an A* at Gcse end up getting only D's and Cs once they get to a level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I heard it is quite difficult. I am also in yr11
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwrdbby)
    I'm currently in year 11 and hoping to take both maths and further maths next year (as I'd like to do either physics or engineering at university).

Im kinda worried about how I'm going to cope as I really need to get an A* in maths (in order to get into a good university) but i do find maths not the easiest subject.

Im predicted an 8 (i do feel like I'm capable of a 9 if I try really hard). And although I'm near the top of my maths class I still find the subject the hardest out of all of my other ones.

So I'm just wondering how hard it's gonna be? I've read a lot about how even people who get an A* at Gcse end up getting only D's and Cs once they get to a level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well Maths is always something you can improve on and yes, its normal to feel that way about the subject as it really is a hard subject but definitely doable.

You will build on new concepts in C1 maths which is aimed to help bridge the gap between GCSE and A-level standard. Just make sure that you practice plenty of questions (after all that is what will get you a high mark ... practice practice practice ) and make sure you look at many exam papers as it will prepare you for the style of questions you are expected to answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    Well Maths is always something you can improve on and yes, its normal to feel that way about the subject as it really is a hard subject but definitely doable.

You will build on new concepts in C1 maths which is aimed to help bridge the gap between GCSE and A-level standard. Just make sure that you practice plenty of questions (after all that is what will get you a high mark ... practice practice practice ) and make sure you look at many exam papers as it will prepare you for the style of questions you are expected to answer.

I completely agree, doing lots of questions will make you realise that they can only ask you specific things, and for some topics the questions are quite similar and become quite repetitive.

I'd say to OP, as long as you're going to put in some effort, both in school and outside of, then you'll be fine. Also, make sure to ask for help when you need it, either on here or ideally from your teachers. You don't want to get to the point where you're stuck and tell your self that you'll "go over it after, or look it up online" only to realise exams are only around the corner!

Good luck with everything
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylaB)
    I completely agree, doing lots of questions will make you realise that they can only ask you specific things, and for some topics the questions are quite similar and become quite repetitive.

I'd say to OP, as long as you're going to put in some effort, both in school and outside of, then you'll be fine. Also, make sure to ask for help when you need it, either on here or ideally from your teachers. You don't want to get to the point where you're stuck and tell your self that you'll "go over it after, or look it up online" only to realise exams are only around the corner!

Good luck with everything
    Spot on! This is the approach that got me through A-levels

ReputationRep:
    I got A* at gcse and currently doing a level.

I found c1 easy and c2 harder. I've just completed fp1 which wasn't too bad.

If you put in the effort then it's an ok course.
    I work between online course, text books and videos on YouTube. Jack brown is my favourite. If you're worried there is a bridging the gap course between gcse and a level which is worth watching.

Maths is a progressive course. You can't revise maths you can only practice.
    Put in the practice and you'll succeed.

Good luck.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah that is true what you said about people who get A* at GCSE's end up with C's and D's. We can't really tell if it's going to be hard because your going to be doing the new specification.

ReputationRep:
    Its diffcult when you start it, but TSR on Mathematic sub-forum and youtube videos will help you out, I'm doing it homeschooling. I got 80% on C1 mock so far, marked by homeschooling tutor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, mathematics at A levels is quite hard, especially you are intending to achieve the best grade. But it is not impossible, if you are keeping trying. There are a lot of good youtube videos which explain the stuff, here on TSR are also a lot of members who are really helpful in giving explanations. It is just up to you how much effort you invest in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.