Turn on thread page Beta

A171 – MP Dupe Checking Amendment watch

• Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    I would question the description of it as a loophole. The reason that parties (at least initially – perhaps this has changed now) have dupe-checked joining members is to stop them leaking information from their subforums and to ensure other parties cannot put a dupe into their subforum and spy on them. As an independent MP isn't allowed to join a party and remain an independent MP this does not apply.

Basically, party MPs are dupe-checked, but that's to do with the party bit not the MP bit. The MP bit is just coincidence – associating dupe-checking with becoming an MP is a totally new idea in terms of codified rules.
    What that doesn't address though is that if someone is an MP within a Party, and they then under a different account, stand as an indie, there is no check made on the indie, and therefore, it could be a duplicate account.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I would question the description of it as a loophole. The reason that parties (at least initially – perhaps this has changed now) have dupe-checked joining members is to stop them leaking information from their subforums and to ensure other parties cannot put a dupe into their subforum and spy on them. As an independent MP isn't allowed to join a party and remain an independent MP this does not apply.

Basically, party MPs are dupe-checked, but that's to do with the party bit not the MP bit. The MP bit is just coincidence – associating dupe-checking with becoming an MP is a totally new idea in terms of codified rules.
    Don't forget that between back channel communications, the Skype chat, and the wikia sub's aren't safe, especially for a certain party

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    What that doesn't address though is that if someone is an MP within a Party, and they then under a different account, stand as an indie, there is no check made on the indie, and therefore, it could be a duplicate account.
    Is it the case currently that a dupe check can ONLY be performed on a person in or looking to join a party.

There is also a critical flaw: supposing I had a dupe in a party I would not be having it as an MP, it would be there to sit and listen, and I would probably be able to get around the check, at least for one or two dupes anyway. Your what if relies on the perpetrator being an idiot, but then again the idiocy of criminals tends to be our best defence against them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    abstain
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    nay, don't think this bureaucratic process is necessary
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Having seen the arguments, I'm not so sure about this now.

ReputationRep:

I realise that, but I'm thinking about members who have already been banned - if TheBigMan2 had been a little craftier, for example, he'd now have a seat.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Is it the case currently that a dupe check can ONLY be performed on a person in or looking to join a party.

There is also a critical flaw: supposing I had a dupe in a party I would not be having it as an MP, it would be there to sit and listen, and I would probably be able to get around the check, at least for one or two dupes anyway. Your what if relies on the perpetrator being an idiot, but then again the idiocy of criminals tends to be our best defence against them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not really sure, but I don't see why we wouldn't be allowed for MPs given it's an integral part of the game...

Haha yes, but depends what the persons end goal is... just look at the GP scandal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree with your points, however, the motivation for this amendment is not catching spies, the motivation is to stop party leaders creating accounts to fill MP seats which is what the seconders suspect UU of doing. The amendment was planned on Skype after a brief conversation over party leaders appointing inexperienced users as MPs.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I agree with your points, however, the motivation for this amendment is not catching spies, the motivation is to stop party leaders creating accounts to fill MP seats which is what the seconders suspect UU of doing. The amendment was planned on Skype after a brief conversation over party leaders appointing inexperienced users as MPs.
    Surely the better solution is for a general uncodified liberalisation so such members can be checked even if the party in question objects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Since Labour, the Liberals and the Kippers do have lots of odd members as MP's from time to time i do see the benefit from a Tory prospective of self interest.

At the same time though, this unnecessary bureaucracy. If party leaders are too stupid not to dupe check people when they should be ridiculed and sacked by their own membership.

I'll abstain, mainly out of deference to Mobbsy.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll have to abstain on this one. I don't have an issue w/ this, apart from the fact that this is adding to the Speaker's workload. New members are dupe checked when they join a party, so I do think this may be quite pointless

ReputationRep:
    I'll likely vote nay as I do see it as unneeded, and simply creating work for the speaker for the sake of work to be done. If there is a legitimate concern I do believe the Speaker and party leaders should act on that concern, but otherwise I don't see the issue.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Nay
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This bill is in cessation.

ReputationRep:
    Division! Clear the lobbies!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2017
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.