Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Obama's Presidency Vote Watch

• View Poll Results: How has Barack Obama performed as POTUS?
    Very Well
    40.62%
    Moderately Well
    31.86%
    Neither Well nor Poorly / Don't Know
    13.03%
    Moderately Poorly
    7.30%
    Poorly
    7.19%

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    The unemployment rate is pretty good now. Obamacare, while getting stripped, will remain in key parts and that is a huge step for the future to build on. People say foreign relations are bad but he is the most popular US president in a long time.
    It's worth noting that on the whole whether a president is seen as good or bad at the end of the term isn't based on the performance of the president but the economic condition. Whether due to the president or not if the economy is seen as strong they're good, if seen as bad they're bad.

ACA is being more than gutted, it's no lasting legacy, and unemployment is pretty much where it should be expected to be more or less regardless of government.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viddy9)
    Overall, I'd say he's done moderately well. His approval ratings are at an unprecedented high for a President at the end of his second term.

Positives:

By avoiding growth-killing austerity, Obama managed to preside over a strong economic recovery, given that it was the worst recession since the Great Depression. He should have increased government spending even further, ideally.
    I realise this won't change your mind on anything, but the US government expenditure has never been higher than the New Deal under FDR. It was also the slowest and most painful economic recovery in American history. For 150 years prior the government just let the economy inflate and contract unimpeded and we never had that sort of disaster.

Gay marriage.
    Obama had nothing to do with this, and was in fact actively opposed until it became capricious for him to virtue signal about it. I deserve as much credit for the Supreme Court decision that brought gay marriage about as Obama does.

Being critical of identity politics.
    This one just isn't true. Anybody who promotes the "blacks are an oppressed class and police are racist" narrative isn't above identity politics, especially someone committed to it enough to attend a funeral for murdered cops and roundaboutly imply they were racist.

Negatives

The Libyan intervention, which was mainly the fault of the UK and France, and which surprisingly for a sitting US President he has said he regrets.
    The Libya fiasco was the personal project of Hillary Clinton, and as the leaked emails show she was very eager to take credit for it all before she realised how badly she'd screwed it all up. Obama just didn't care enough about foreign relations (beyond photo ops) to rein her in.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chichaldo)
    "Negatives
    * Foreign Policy ineptitude led to more instability in the Arab World
    * Race relations deteriorated and political polarization rose
    * Slowest economic recovery since 1930s.
    * Numerous incidents of government malpractice"

They outweigh killing a terrorist that was largely out of action who was easily replaced as well as breaking international law in doing so (unarmed person)

Guantanamo Bay to be closed... hmm...

Guns left, right and centre... hmm...

Memes and 'cool guy' sentiments don't make a good President.

Verdict 'poorly'
    Bin Laden was not "easily replaced" - he was a hugely influential figure among the Al Qaeda ranks. In fact, I would even go as far as saying he WAS Al Qaeda. The reason for breaking international law was obvious, I can't imagine the Pakistani's would've cooperated.

And everything he tried to do on guns was vetoed so....

ReputationRep:
    He's done alright, legalised weed and gay marriage, ended a few wars, started a few other wars, he's basically a slightly more liberal Bush. Total non-president.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chichaldo)

Memes and 'cool guy' sentiments don't make a good President.
    This is why seeing Trump win was so pleasurable, Obama basically acted like a non-racist Trump with his nonsense one liners and use of emotion and inspiration over substance. Trump is doing the exact same thing with identity politics and meming and the left just can't handle it.

Obama implied that Sarah Palin was a pig in lipstick which is a Trump-tier move to pull yet he's seen as the tolerant thinking man's president, but it's all a lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    Well he's almost out, and unless he does something really good or astonishingly bad with pardons the Obama administration has effectively come to a close.

How do we think he's done?

Plus points:
    * The passage of the Affordable Care Act
    * Left Iraq
    * Bin Laden dead
    * Lack of high-profile scandals

Negatives
    * Numerous incidents of government malpractice (ie Fast and Furious)

Not many there, I'm sure you know of more, but I'm trying to be as impartial as I can. Vote on your cellphones now.
    Binladen was already dead hence no evidence from US...they haven't actually left Iraq

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    Well he's almost out, and unless he does something really good or astonishingly bad with pardons the Obama administration has effectively come to a close.

Plus points:
    * Left Iraq
    * Bin Laden dead

Negatives

Not many there, I'm sure you know of more, but I'm trying to be as impartial as I can. Vote on your cellphones now.
    You do realise that the majority of American's consider Obama to have been a disaster, and for their country to have slipped back a long way, over this period he has been in office. Not that this is an entirely fair appraisal, but i get their point tbh...

ReputationRep:
    When you remember the immense hope aroused by his election, and see how little he has done, you cannot give him a positive rating.

I acknowledge that Obama is a good man, much better than his obnoxious successor, but being nice doesn't give good results in politics. He should have been ruthless in the first two years of his presidency, when he almost had a supermajority in both chambers. Instead, he kept trying to reach an agreement with the Republicans who hated him and did everything they could to sabotage his policies.

His foreign policy is a disaster. I don't need to expand.

His only real achievement was his election. Everybody will remember who he was, but few will know what he actually did.

Moderately Poorly

ReputationRep:
    Obama has done exceedingly well. As he didn't sign up as the Dictator of America, it's was predictable some of his campaign promises would remain unfulfilled given the republican's hostility and, frankly, idiocy.

His only blatant mistake I can think of one was endorsing the scandalously-ridden democratic nominee ahead of the visionary and determined Bernie Sanders.

His perseverance, patience and discipline is something everyone should admire about. I would probably lose it if someone demanded I had to present my birth certificate to prove a point or be called something like a closet muslium for whatever nonsense. Instead the man responded with poise and grace. Hats ****ing off!

And note Obama at least partially delivered 70% of his campaign promises
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ises/obameter/

To say he did anything less than good is sour grapes.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaintedLight)
    Obama has done exceedingly well. As he didn't sign up as the Dictator of America, it's was predictable some of his campaign promises would remain unfulfilled given the republican's hostility and, frankly, idiocy.

His only blatant mistake I can think of one was endorsing the scandalously-ridden democratic nominee ahead of the visionary and determined Bernie Sanders.

His perseverance, patience and discipline is something everyone should admire about. I would probably lose it if someone demanded I had to present my birth certificate to prove a point or be called something like a closet muslium for whatever nonsense. Instead the man responded with poise and grace. Hats ****ing off!

And note Obama at least partially delivered 70% of his campaign promises
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ises/obameter/

To say he did anything less than good is sour grapes.
    You mean the **** up after **** up in the middle easy isn't a blatant mistake?

And how partial is partially?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    You do realise that the majority of American's consider Obama to have been a disaster, and for their country to have slipped back a long way, over this period he has been in office. Not that this is an entirely fair appraisal, but i get their point tbh...
    I'm not an Obama fan at all, I voted poorly. Just wanted to keep the top post in the thread relatively neutral.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Whoever said he's super popular, it's worth noting of all the presidents back to FDR he has a very average mean approval

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    When you remember the immense hope aroused by his election, and see how little he has done, you cannot give him a positive rating.

I acknowledge that Obama is a good man, much better than his obnoxious successor, but being nice doesn't give good results in politics. He should have been ruthless in the first two years of his presidency, when he almost had a supermajority in both chambers. Instead, he kept trying to reach an agreement with the Republicans who hated him and did everything they could to sabotage his policies.

His foreign policy is a disaster. I don't need to expand.

His only real achievement was his election. Everybody will remember who he was, but few will know what he actually did.

Moderately Poorly
    Pretty much this. He delivered on very little of what he promised before entering office, but he managed to maintain great public relations and appeal to people with his charisma.

People will look back on him with rosey retrospection, even though he was actually a very average president who didn't "change" much for the US at all.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    Pretty much this. He delivered on very little of what he promised before entering office, but he managed to maintain great public relations and appeal to people with his charisma.

People will look back on him with rosey retrospection, even though he was actually a very average president who didn't "change" much for the US at all.
    And the main bit of the little change is already well on the way to being undone by the very same mechanism that brought it in

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)

Plus points:
    * Left Iraq
    * Bin Laden dead

Negatives

The ACA is terrible lol
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    The ACA is terrible lol
    Not for much longer though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Bin Laden was not "easily replaced" - he was a hugely influential figure among the Al Qaeda ranks. In fact, I would even go as far as saying he WAS Al Qaeda. The reason for breaking international law was obvious, I can't imagine the Pakistani's would've cooperated.

And everything he tried to do on guns was vetoed so....
    Ayman al-Zawahiri replaced him within months and vetoed meant no change so isn't really a defence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'etranger)
    This is why seeing Trump win was so pleasurable, Obama basically acted like a non-racist Trump with his nonsense one liners and use of emotion and inspiration over substance. Trump is doing the exact same thing with identity politics and meming and the left just can't handle it.

Obama implied that Sarah Palin was a pig in lipstick which is a Trump-tier move to pull yet he's seen as the tolerant thinking man's president, but it's all a lie.
    I'm no fan of Trump but the speeches made against him and in the manner in which he was targeted didn't make Obama and co. much better, instead of showcasing a 'better alternative' they tried to denounce him which just ended up with a 'lesser of two evils' type vote for many.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Also more and more people were losing hope during his presidency and it lead to the highest suicide rate for 30 years
    Usually when people commit suicide it's more personal issues rather than them going "this president is ****, time to end it"

ReputationRep:
    Good.

When the Prime Minister David Cameron called, he responded immediately to come to his rescue.

He married First Lady Michelle Obama, the most influential first lady of all-time, and in the world only behind Her Imperial Majesty The Empress Dowager, Her Majesty The Queen Mother (PBUH), and His Royal Highness The Prince Albert, Consort of the Queen-Empress.

Gave Harvard its eighth American president.

Led to the "red man lives in red house, who lives in the White House" joke.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.