Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, my daughter now has her five offers - she know her first choice but is unsure what to put as insurance.

Her order of preference out of her offers is:

1. Oxford (Law) AAA - FIRM
    2. Durham (Law) A*AA
    3. Nottingham (Law) AAA (standard offer is A*AA)
    4. Lancaster (Law) AAA
    5. Lancaster (Law and Politiics) AAB

Now, the obvious one to insure is no.5 as that is a grade lower than her firm BUT that is her 5th preference.

Would there be merit in putting Nottingham or even Durham as her insurance, on the basis that they may be more lenient on the grades than Oxford (e.g. Say she got A*A*B)?

Couple of related questions...

1. Is there any advantage to having the insurance choice if you don't get their grades or are you in the same position as being in clearing then?

2. Is there anywhere where you can see what grades Durham and Nottingham actually accepted people with last year?

Thanks 😀

ReputationRep:
    With an Oxbridge Firm, they will be very strict in August. Other Universities may be more lenient.

If your daughter chooses Oxford as her Firm, and her next favourite course as her Insurance, that really is the best option. If she doesnt get the grades for Oxford, even if her Insurance are asking for the same grades, its possible (ie. if she is only one grade down) that her Insurance may still take her. If that is a course/Uni she'd still be very happy with, great. If for any reason, she doesn't get accepted for her Insurance choice then its worth taking a Gap Year to think about options, reapply, and maybe do retakes.That way she can apply again for 5 new choices, with known grades and therefore target her applications.

Clearing is never recommended as a strategy - there is no guarantee of any Uni or course being in Clearing, or that your daughter would be accepted. Its a recipe for stress and disappointment. This is only an option if she would be happy at 'any Uni offering Law' because for Law it will only be the 'lower' Unis in Clearing - RG Unis will not be

Info about last year will tell you nothing about this year's acceptances. It all depends on how many other people fulfil their offers, and obviously no-one can predict that. Then it depends on how many 'near misses' they decide to take (if any) and/or they decide to fill any spaces via Adjustment or Clearing with people who actually have the required grades.

Useful reading about 'How to choose a Firm & insurance' here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...urance-choices and more about 'What can happen on Results Day' here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...el-results-day Make sure your daughter reads it all. She doesn't have to make a definite decision for months - there is no need to panic into making a quick decision she then regrets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    With an Oxbridge Firm, they will be very strict in August. Other Universities may be more lenient.

If your daughter chooses Oxford as her Firm, and her next favourite course as her Insurance, that really is the best option. If she doesnt get the grades for Oxford, even if her Insurance are asking for the same grades, its possible (ie. if she is only one grade down) that her Insurance may still take her. If that is a course/Uni she'd still be very happy with, great. If for any reason, she doesn't get accepted for her Insurance choice then its worth taking a Gap Year to think about options, reapply, and maybe do retakes.That way she can apply again for 5 new choices, with known grades and therefore target her applications.

Clearing is never recommended as a strategy - there is no guarantee of any Uni or course being in Clearing, or that your daughter would be accepted. Its a recipe for stress and disappointment. This is only an option if she would be happy at 'any Uni offering Law' because for Law it will only be the 'lower' Unis in Clearing - RG Unis will not be

Info about last year will tell you nothing about this year's acceptances. It all depends on how many other people fulfil their offers, and obviously no-one can predict that. Then it depends on how many 'near misses' they decide to take (if any) and/or they decide to fill any spaces via Adjustment or Clearing with people who actually have the required grades.

Useful reading about 'How to choose a Firm & insurance' here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...urance-choices and more about 'What can happen on Results Day' here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...el-results-day Make sure your daughter reads it all. She doesn't have to make a definite decision for months - there is no need to panic into making a quick decision she then regrets.
    Thanks very much. I thought I had read of Oxbridge sometimes being a little lenient on the grades, as they regard the rest of their criteria as more important (the interviews, entrance tests, etc) but I may be mistaken.

She definitely won't go to "any university" just for the sake of it, she's very reluctant to get herself into debt without it being worth it at the end. I didn't realise that was the case with clearing, so thanks for that.

I will show her those links.

She should get the grades (predicted 3 A*) but you just never know...

ReputationRep:
    May I ask why she didn't apply for a place that she wouldn't mind going with lower grade requirements? Or is she completely set on these places? (Or perhaps just Oxford?)
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ6987)
    Thanks very much. I thought I had read of Oxbridge sometimes being a little lenient on the grades, as they regard the rest of their criteria as more important (the interviews, entrance tests, etc) but I may be mistaken.

She definitely won't go to "any university" just for the sake of it, she's very reluctant to get herself into debt without it being worth it at the end. I didn't realise that was the case with clearing, so thanks for that.

I will show her those links.

She should get the grades (predicted 3 A*) but you just never know...
    Just a warning: Durham have a track record of keeping near miss (and clearing) applicants in limbo for a week or more after results day. For the students on TSR a number were then rejected into clearing (at a point when their options were very limited).

If your daughter thinks she'd be happy at Durham and doesn't think that's true for any of her other choices then she should choose it for her insurance. Just make sure you're both mentally and emotionally prepared for a potential week of stress and phone calls followed by a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0xFFFFail)
    May I ask why she didn't apply for a place that she wouldn't mind going with lower grade requirements? Or is she completely set on these places? (Or perhaps just Oxford?)
    Good question. Long story...she's got Aspergers and ADHD and suffered a lot through secondary school with various depression, anxiety and related difficulties that I can't really go into here. The one bright spot in a largely poor school was the Deputy Head who helped her a lot and told her that she was ideal Oxbridge material. She laughed this off at the time and didn't even see herself being able to go to university at all. But she was always determined to do as well as possible and not let her difficulties beat her. She ended up getting the best GCSE results in her school and took lots of steps to build her confidence and stretch herself outside her (very limited) comfort zone, culminating in getting onto the UNIQ Summer School for Law last summer. She was very scared about going and even up until a few days before we had to talk her out of pulling out. But she went and ended up loving every minute of it - the academic side and, surprisingly, the social side. One of the Mentors told us when we went to collect her that she'd told her halfway through that "she didn't want to go home"! When she got home she was saying things like "there were other people like me there!!" After that she was focused on getting into Oxford and did everything she could to give herself the best chance.

So, mainly she wants to go there although she also really liked the idea of Durham when she went to their open day, because it seemed quite similar to Oxford, with the collegiate system, etc, and to a lesser extent Nottingham and Lancaster. We went to loads (and I mean loads) of Open Days and those were the only four she really liked (well, five if you include Cambridge)

She is also very aware of the money side of it. We can't afford to fund her so it means a lot of student debt - she is only willing to do that if she sees it as a good investment so she was also very focused on the league tables, reputation, etc. That's why I don't think she would go to a university just for the sake of going, she would probably do something else in that case, like an apprenticeship, even though I personally think that Uni would be a very good step for her independence, regardless of where it is.

Sorry, for the long answer to a straightforward question!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Just a warning: Durham have a track record of keeping near miss (and clearing) applicants in limbo for a week or more after results day. For the students on TSR a number were then rejected into clearing (at a point when their options were very limited).

If your daughter thinks she'd be happy at Durham and doesn't think that's true for any of her other choices then she should choose it for her insurance. Just make sure you're both mentally and emotionally prepared for a potential week of stress and phone calls followed by a gap year.
    Thanks. Before getting her decision from Oxford she had been talking about reapplying next year if she got rejected (she thought that the interviews didn't go that well) so I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up putting no insurance or putting Durham down as a "punt" which, as I said, she really liked the look of as well.

She's so competitive / perfectionist she was even looking at Harvard at one point (maybe half seriously) cos she read that it was above Oxford for Law, but then Oxford being named as number one in the World by THE put a stop to that .
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ6987)
    Thanks. Before getting her decision from Oxford she had been talking about reapplying next year if she got rejected (she thought that the interviews didn't go that well) so I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up putting no insurance or putting Durham down as a "punt" which, as I said, she really liked the look of as well.

She's so competitive / perfectionist she was even looking at Harvard at one point (maybe half seriously) cos she read that it was above Oxford for Law, but then Oxford being named as number one in the World by THE put a stop to that .
    That sounds like the perfect attitude to have.

With any university if she puts them as insurance but misses the grades then there's a chance they'd make an alternate offer for a different course (depending on demand and her A level subjects - Durham have done this before to applicants, I think it was offering Anthropology to History applicants but there's a chance they'd consider it for law).

So mainly an exercise between exams and results is to just imagine/make some possible plans for gap years or look into other subjects. It's unlikely to happen (because it sounds like your daughter *will* get those grades - she sounds very driven ) but it means that if things don't turn out as hoped any decisions can be a bit more informed/thought through and not just a panic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Not necessarily true, my cousin got ABB and got into Birmingham through clearing for Law. Law is a big, popular course and a lot of people don't make the grades to get in, thus they've got a lot of places that need to be filled. Law is usually always a course that is available through clearing at both mid and higher rated universities, including the Russel Group.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.