Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    I think it was just that in year 9 I had far fewer distractions. For my GCSEs I did no revision, which was really stupid, and I wish I had have done. At the same time though, I went out with my mates, had a laugh, and think I reached a pretty good balance. In my mind, GCSEs are only a means to an end anyway, they allowed me to do my AS levels in the subjects I wanted to where I wanted to, and don't stop me applying to any university (even if they are only 'average' compared to other applicants). Fingers crossed to make my predictions though eh
    Distractions are definitely more apparent in sixth form. Sometimes it is really difficult to say no to going out wiv mates on a saturday night but i fink in year 13 the fun has got to lessen coz i gotta become a doctor, i got to. Ive also got so much work experience sorted out. Im gonna b working in GP's and operating theoatres in a few weeks so going out aint really gonna b an option.

ReputationRep:
    I think it was just that in year 9 I had far fewer distractions. For my GCSEs I did no revision, which was really stupid, and I wish I had have done. At the same time though, I went out with my mates, had a laugh, and think I reached a pretty good balance. In my mind, GCSEs are only a means to an end anyway, they allowed me to do my AS levels in the subjects I wanted to where I wanted to, and don't stop me applying to any university (even if they are only 'average' compared to other applicants). Fingers crossed to make my predictions though eh
    Ahh ok, if you felt you didn't put as much effort into your GCSE's as perhaps on hindsight you should have done, then at least you're being honest.

"they allowed me to do my AS levels in the subjects I wanted to where I wanted to, and don't stop me applying to any university" - Yes that's understandable, but with that attitude you do seem really keen on doing well at A-Level to go to university, which is what matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Ahh ok, if you felt you didn't put as much effort into your GCSE's as perhaps on hindsight you should have done, then at least you're being honest.

"they allowed me to do my AS levels in the subjects I wanted to where I wanted to, and don't stop me applying to any university" - Yes that's understandable, but with that attitude you do seem really keen on doing well at A-Level to go to university, which is what matters.
    Well I revised for my AS levels, which was a step in the right direction! I'm sure it'll all be ok, I'm just not sure what I'll do if it isn't! I guess I'l cross that bridge when I come to it!

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone here do AS AQA B Biology and AQA Chemistry? What did everyone think about the papers?

FYI: My Chemistry teacher has informed me that the mark scheme for paper 2 has had to be changed quite significantly because, if you didn't do the paper this won't mean anything, for section b, part (a) you were meant to include the process by which steel is made. However, the question only referred to removal of a elemental impurity. Therefore loads of people were scoring only 3-4 marks, so they've had to adds loads of early marking points, and add some to the aluminium question (which has also been really badly answered as it is the first time it has really come up on the new spec).

ReputationRep:
    Well I revised for my AS levels, which was a step in the right direction! I'm sure it'll all be ok, I'm just not sure what I'll do if it isn't! I guess I'l cross that bridge when I come to it!
    Well that's good then; it sounds like you put a lot of effort in this year, you shouldn't sound too dispondant! (sp)

Be more confident Ellie! (till the day before anyway )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomcoolinguk)
    Did anyone here do AS AQA B Biology and AQA Chemistry? What did everyone think about the papers?

FYI: My Chemistry teacher has informed me that the mark scheme for paper 2 has had to be changed quite significantly because, if you didn't do the paper this won't mean anything, for section b, part (a) you were meant to include the process by which steel is made. However, the question only referred to removal of a elemental impurity. Therefore loads of people were scoring only 3-4 marks, so they've had to adds loads of early marking points, and add some to the aluminium question (which has also been really badly answered as it is the first time it has really come up on the new spec).
    sorry mate i did OCR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Well that's good then; it sounds like you put a lot of effort in this year, you shouldn't sound too dispondant! (sp)

Be more confident Ellie! (till the day before anyway )
    Hehe. I'm going to try not to think about it. I go on holiday on Wednesday for a week, and refuse to let these results ruin it! Anyhow, I'm off to snuggle up in bed now, I'm a sleepy Ellie. Night all *mwah* x x

ReputationRep:
    Hehe. I'm going to try not to think about it. I go on holiday on Wednesday for a week, and refuse to let these results ruin it! Anyhow, I'm off to snuggle up in bed now, I'm a sleepy Ellie. Night all *mwah* x x
    have a gud one. I hope u get the results u deserve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Ed)
    Please tell me your prediction especially if they r for AS Level Biology, Chemistry, Maths or History. Cheers!!
    I did OCR AS Biology and i think i have got a B or C.

ReputationRep:
    Meh i don't know really, i think for biology i'd get a B, but if i'm unlucky i could get a C (due to that stupid coursework).
    Chemistry i think i'll get a C, but its kinda vital i get a B in it Oh well retakes are an option. Don't know my open book paper mark.
    Just going to have to wait and find out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Ed)
    sorry mate i did OCR.
    I did OCR AS Chemistry and Biology last year-in fact I continued with both of these to A2. I thought I did terrible in Biology but was really surprised so don't worry too much.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark123)
    I did OCR AS Chemistry and Biology last year-in fact I continued with both of these to A2. I thought I did terrible in Biology but was really surprised so don't worry too much.
    Good luck!
    What did you get for biology and what did you think you got after the exams? I got an A (77/90) in Foundation in January but i found the June exams (especially HH&D) really weird. Biology A2 looks really, really difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Foundation biology I got 80/90
    Human health and disease I got 90/90
    Transport+coursework I got 116/120

I thought I would get A/B in HHD so was really surprised. The transport paper was really easy so wasn't surprised about that.

Word of warning, A2 Biology modules are a lot tougher than the AS ones. I had to work really hard for central concepts. The text book for the A2 Biology one is like 120 pages and thats just for one module (central concepts).

Normally the raw mark for an A is about 45/60 and can be lower. For A2 modules, its about 60/90 for an A

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark123)
    Foundation biology I got 80/90
    Human health and disease I got 90/90
    Transport+coursework I got 116/120

Word of warning, A2 Biology modules are a lot tougher than the AS ones. I had to work really hard for central concepts. The text book for the A2 Biology one is like 120 pages and thats just for one module (central concepts).

Good luck!
    I was looking through the Biology 2 (c/c) textbook last night and it looks seriously hard! I am 90% sure of dropping it. Well done on your module marks, if i get above 65 for HH&D i will be so shocked, and i reckon i probably got around 80/120 for Transport because i had ok-ish coursework. So that adds up to (80+77+65) 222 max, which is a B isn't it? I'd be pleased with that.

ReputationRep:
    what do you think you'll get in Foundation?

HHD is actually a really hard module-you have to know about social, economic etc about all the diseases and there's a lot of learning involved.

There's even more learning for Central concepts!

I also found CC really hard when I first looked at the text book (especially Krebs cycle) but if you go over the stuff again and use the Heinemann revsion book, its not too bad. Trouble was, I was finding CC really boring.

ReputationRep:
    *Thinks OCR sounds hard*

ReputationRep:
    I got 77/90 (January)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    I got 77/90 (January)
    *Clap clap*

ReputationRep:
    *Thinks OCR sounds hard*
    OCR is hard for Biology but IMHO, OCR Chemistry is one of the easiest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    I got 77/90 (January)
    Brilliant, well done.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.