Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I would. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    The Swiss Criminal code seems to define the term as "any person who forces a person of the female sex by threats or
    violence, psychological pressure or by being made incapable of resistance to submit to sexual intercourse is liable to a custodial sentence of from one to ten years" (source). By this definition, no, it should not have been considered rape.

The prosecution mounted the case around the idea that she was incapable of resistance because she was unaware of the condom not being on. I do think that such an argument won't hold during an appeal process, even though a male's rights are more or less ignored during a rape case.

ReputationRep:
    Wtf. How do you even not notice if someone removes the condom in front of you? It's your fault (to trust a stranger, anyway).

Not rape. The sexual intercourse took place willingly, the circumstances in this case doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone actually read the details of this?

I doubt there's much congruency with England. This happened in Switzerland, and the man received a 12-month suspended sentence. It's entirely possible he was convicted of an offence which wouldn't be "rape" here. Possibly some related sexual offence here to do with causing sexual activity without consent or something.

My own feeling is that would be the right decision here, too. I don't see that the act is substantially altered, and there's no such thing as completely risk free sex. If that happened here, I would be ok with someone being convicted of a lower offence.

As for the reverse case - a woman not being on the pill. I don't see why it shouldn't be the same offence, but in practical terms, I see almost no situation where a conviction would occur. You can be obviously wearing a condom, but not obviously on the pill. The only situation I see a man making a criminal complaint is if a pregnancy results - in which case, the woman can still have the baby (if she wants to), a custodial sentence is almost impossible to contemplate, and he would still be financially liable. He could sue her, for damages, but if she has no means anyway, what exactly is the point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mischeivous)
    Wtf. How do you even not notice if someone removes the condom in front of you? It's your fault (to trust a stranger, anyway).

Not rape. The sexual intercourse took place willingly, the circumstances in this case doesn't matter.
    :facepalm:

Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    :facepalm:

Oh dear.
    what up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    So because you (somewhat rightly so) believe the line is hard to draw, you think no line should be drawn (other than sex yes or no, i.e. any other circumstances don't matter)?

Would you want it to be illegal to lie to someone about being on the pill?
    I've not given it any thought, I'm just prompting people to think about things a little further

Interesting ethical questions here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    Here are some articles to acknowledge -

http://www.newstalk.com/Man-in-Switz...om-during-sex-

http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/11/man-gu...woman-6375798/

https://sputniknews.com/europe/20170...ng-condom-sex/

If you didn't get that, a man and women met on Tinder which eventually lead to intercourse. The man decides to take off the condom during the act unbeknownst to the woman. I presume the woman took it to court asserting that she wouldn't have had sex with him without protection. What's your take on it?
    No it's not rape. Women lie about being on contraception all the time, and no one ever takes them to court.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    If it's judged to be rape, it could set a risky precedent. Condoms can often fall off during sex. When this happens, you'd become an accidental rapist.
    Unless you do something without clear consent, reasonably believing that no consent has been given, it isn't rape.

ReputationRep:
    Yes its rape.

Think about it people, she consented to sexual intercourse with a condom, she didn't consent to sexual intercourse without...

If he had HIV or something, would people still be battling his corner ffs????

Would we be having this discussion if he pulled out and decided to go up the 'other' way without her permission? I don't think consenting to sexual intercourse is the same as consenting to anything/everything.

However with all this said, I think it would have to be 100000% sure that he did any of this against her will to warrant police action, too many people are willing to tell lies nowadays without a second thought of the potential to ruining someone elses life.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loooopppyyy)
    Yes its rape.

Think about it people, she consented to sexual intercourse with a condom, she didn't consent to sexual intercourse without...

If he had HIV or something, would people still be battling his corner ffs????

Would we be having this discussion if he pulled out and decided to go up the 'other' way without her permission? I don't think consenting to sexual intercourse is the same as consenting to anything/everything.

However with all this said, I think it would have to be 100000% sure that he did any of this against her will to warrant police action, too many people are willing to tell lies nowadays without a second thought of the potential to ruining someone elses life.
    I saw some news article, a few weeks ago, about a rape where the rapist contracted HIV, and people were like 'The victim should have told him'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    No it's not rape. Women lie about being on contraception all the time, and no one ever takes them to court.
    Both circumstances are quite different. Lack of condom means exposure to potential STIs and HIV. This obviously does not apply to the pill.

ReputationRep:
    Not rape but should still be an offence. It's a disgusting thing to do and could put the woman's health at risk from potential stds, not to mention unwanted pregnancy. If someone did that to me I would go to the police.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ella-keturah)
    Not rape but should still be an offence. It's a disgusting thing to do and could put the woman's health at risk from potential stds, not to mention unwanted pregnancy. If someone did that to me I would go to the police.
    Not to mention some people are DEAD SET against abortion (myself included), I'm a 31 year old with a 5 year old daughter that lives with me full-time, so know how much work (rewarding work should I say ) raising a child can be, its unfair to put someone in that position 'unwillingly'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habeas.corpus)
    Both circumstances are quite different. Lack of condom means exposure to potential STIs and HIV. This obviously does not apply to the pill.
    True, but bottom line is that she wasn't raped. If she got pregnant or got an STD then I'd maybe understand a lawsuit but then again, if she didn't want to risk either then she had no business having sex in the first place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loooopppyyy)
    Not to mention some people are DEAD SET against abortion (myself included), I'm a 31 year old with a 5 year old daughter that lives with me full-time, so know how much work (rewarding work should I say ) raising a child can be, its unfair to put someone in that position 'unwillingly'.
    Exactly. It's just someone being selfish by removing the condom without consent, so there should be consequences if they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    She was willingly having sex with him, though. It's just the removal of the condom that's the issue. Hmm, doesn't really sound like rape to me.

If it's judged to be rape, it could set a risky precedent. Condoms can often fall off during sex. When this happens, you'd become an accidental rapist.

Even if it was agreed upon beforehand, I'm still not entirely sure. She continued having sex with him and didn't notice? Okay, maybe. But that makes things trickier in court, and could again set some risky precedents concerning things agreed upon before having sex. Could this be a slippery slope? Would it be rape if a woman told me she'd only have sex with me with my socks off, but unbeknownst to her I leave them on?
    There was another thread the other day about a very similar case in the UK in which a man did not pull out before ejaculation, as he had previously agreed to do. The judges ruled it would be rape if those facts were true and that the case could go to trial, over-ruling the CPS decision.

If this man agreed that sex would be protected and he removed the condom secretly then it would be rape (in the UK).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ella-keturah)
    Exactly. It's just someone being selfish by removing the condom without consent, so there should be consequences if they do.
    Should there be consequences for women who lie about being on contraception? Should they have to raise the child on their own?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aerospengie)
    I've not given it any thought, I'm just prompting people to think about things a little further

Interesting ethical questions here
    Well that's fair enough. And most often the right thing to do. People tend to have a very black and white view and don't think beyond that constraint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Should there be consequences for women who lie about being on contraception? Should they have to raise the child on their own?
    Yes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.