Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is 5 hours revision a day enough to get BBC at a-level? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hey
    i am studying french, psychology and sociology at a level. (and epq). i need to get BBC for my dream uni. i got CDE at as level but none of those count to my overall grade. i didn't revise a lot for those. if i start now, and revise 5 hours a day until may/june, will that be enough to get me the grades? any advice is really appreciated, thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliceronson)
    hey
    i am studying french, psychology and sociology at a level. (and epq). i need to get BBC for my dream uni. i got CDE at as level but none of those count to my overall grade. i didn't revise a lot for those. if i start now, and revise 5 hours a day until may/june, will that be enough to get me the grades? any advice is really appreciated, thanks!!
    Yes. You don't need to study that HARD, but rather study smarter so that you are spending time more efficiently. Plan out your revision carefully, and also ensure you're taking breaks and do LOTS of past papers.

ReputationRep:
    Overkill

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    don't study hard.. study smart.. look at your weaknesses. in french for example, is it vocab, grammar essay writing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lay-Z)
    Yes, however depending on your IQ (seems yours might be on the low side) you may/may not need to do more
    what gives you the idea i have a low IQ? thanks for the compliment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hassan2578)
    don't study hard.. study smart.. look at your weaknesses. in french for example, is it vocab, grammar essay writing?
    yes i really need to look more on what i score lowest in and work on that. thank you!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I revised like from 2-7 days for 4 AS/A2 modules for maths and got 90+ UMS in nearly all of them. This is maths, but my point is, you should study smart not long. I'm an advocate of focusing 100% in class and doing the minimum amount of work that will get me understanding the topic at hand.

This means for me - not studying 5 hours after school every day, however if you NEED to study that long in order to understand the topic fully, feel free to. Honestly, I'm going to work a lot harder this year for Y13, but I know realistically that if I want an A in a specific subject, it won't be too difficult - it's the A*'s that you need in a SPECIFIC subject that you really have to work hard on.

Edit: Have you not factored in burnout? The law of diminishing returns (i.e. productivity in this case) applies to studying also. Break it into small chunks and you will gain more productivity for a lower amount of time. This about it like this graph:

http://i68.tinypic.com/2lk2ve1.jpg

You ideally want the first section of the graph multiplied many times, so doing 5 hours is quite unrealistic with the full school day.

I hope I helped you! PM me if you need any more tips

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hassan2578)
    Hey buddy that's my saying!.. I'm glad you're promoting it

With 5 hours revision most days for 5 months I wouldn't expect BBC, I'd expect AAA. You need to understand how you enjoy learning, do you like visualising (linking stuff with pictures)? Do you feel that simplifying something makes it easier to remember the expanded information? Is there anything you struggle with in particular? Have you created an effective timetable?...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lay-Z)
    Well no offense, but you got low grades in pretty mediocre subjects. Your revision time should be based on how you think your doing with the material. If your struggling with french for example you might want to spend 2 hrs a night on that but only 30 min on sociology which is easier
    i understand my grades weren't great, but i hardly revised. i completely agree that sociology is pretty mediocre, yet have you tried french or psychology a-level? they really aren't easy, especially the new spec for psychology. learning a new language is very difficult, especially with the different tenses and grammar. thanks for the advice though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    Hey buddy that's my saying!.. I'm glad you're promoting it

With 5 hours revision most days for 5 months I wouldn't expect BBC, I'd expect AAA. You need to understand how you enjoy learning, do you like visualising (linking stuff with pictures)? Do you feel that simplifying something makes it easier to remember the expanded information? Is there anything you struggle with in particular? Have you created an effective timetable?...
    do you recommend a timetable? i was thinking to just do 5 hours a day going through each subtopic gradually.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.