Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got offers for ChemEng from both Imperial and Birmingham, and I really need some advice choosing which one to go for. I like the Birmingham atmosphere a lot more, however I am really looking for good job prospects and employability after my degree, so am thinking Imperial. The big issue is that my offer for Birmingham is A*AA whereas my Imperial offer is 3A*s and an A, which in my predicted grades I'm capable of but in reality I'm not so sure.

I would put Imperial as my firm choice with Birmingham as my insurance, but as with most uni's Birmingham only guarantees accommodation if it's the firm choice, and I know I'll probably get accommodation even if I put it as insurance, but I'm pretty picky with accommodation and desperately want to avoid shared bathrooms as much as possible, so am not sure if I'm willing to take the risk.

Alternatively, I'm not even sure if I want to go to Imperial even if I did get the grades, as my work ethic isn't particularly good, even if I'm pretty smart I'm not sure I'd have the motivation to keep up at Imperial.

I know Birmingham is currently 4th for Chemical Engineering, but it isn't that renowned as a university on a whole. I know it shouldn't really be a deciding criteria, but I do want people to be impressed by where I go, and I just feel like Imperial sounds more impressive than Birmingham? I don't say that to cause offence to anyone who goes to Birmingham as I personally think it's a great University, but I'm not sure if other people think the same (I've seen a lot of negativity towards it here on TSR)

If anyone could give me any advice at all, that would be swell!! Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    Which course do you prefer?

This is far more important than things like accommodation, social life or something as nebulous as 'career prospects'.

Read the course descriptions in details, think about which optional units you would actually choose, look at extras like Study Abroad, work placements etc. Rankings and other League Table nonsense are no way to choose a Uni - despite what school leavers believe, employers dont use 'which Uni' as an application sift.

Lots of TSR advice here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...urance-choices

ReputationRep:
    Firm Imperial. Put Birmingham as your insurance. Imperial has way better prospects, as it's seen as one of the best engineering universities in the world, which Birmingham (although very good) simply can't match. In terms of job prospects and employability Imperial is probably one of the best universities in the country.

Of course, it's ultimately up to you, but if employability is your main concern Imperial is undisputably better than Birmingham. I don't know what you'd like to do after engineering, but alongside engineering jobs themselves its a target for IB and consultancy firms and will offer a lot in terms of relevant internships within the City.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    You really need to look at which course and location you'd prefer. Engineering courses are generally quite similar, but there can be differences between them that may sway you; e.g. maybe one has more design projects, or one offers a year in industry.

Ignore Birmingham's ranking. It varies between which table you use - there are going to be some where it's not 4th, and they change every year.

The thing is, universities don't actually do that much for your employability. They award you a certificate at the end of your studies for the hard work you have put in, but that certificate isn't necessarily the key to employment. Securing a job is so much more about your own skills, knowledge and experience than it is about where your certificate was awarded from. And, to be honest, there is a somewhat pervading view in industry that degrees generally don't prepare students that well for engineering careers in industry. Hence why things like a year in industry or summer placements are so highly valued - because they give you an opportunity to work in an engineering environment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    You really need to look at which course and location you'd prefer. Engineering courses are generally quite similar, but there can be differences between them that may sway you; e.g. maybe one has more design projects, or one offers a year in industry.

Ignore Birmingham's ranking. It varies between which table you use - there are going to be some where it's not 4th, and they change every year.

The thing is, universities don't actually do that much for your employability. They award you a certificate at the end of your studies for the hard work you have put in, but that certificate isn't necessarily the key to employment. Securing a job is so much more about your own skills, knowledge and experience than it is about where your certificate was awarded from. And, to be honest, there is a somewhat pervading view in industry that degrees generally don't prepare students that well for engineering careers in industry. Hence why things like a year in industry or summer placements are so highly valued - because they give you an opportunity to work in an engineering environment.
    Of course, OP might not actually want to enter engineering in the future and in that case, Imperial would be much better for prospects.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I'm currently studying at Imperial ChemEng and I'm graduating this summer. Its a great university with great prospects in terms of employment. you will also be surrounded with very intelligent people. However, overall it is a quite dull environment in terms of personalities and finding outgoing people. Perhaps this is only an engineering/physics thing as medics are actually quite easy to get along with!!!

If you need any questions answering don't hesitate

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.