Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

should a parent support a young child's wish to be a different gender? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Yes, but they should only go as far as letting the child choose a different name, how they dress and how they want their hair styled. Nothing invasive.
    Almost this, I would say hormone blockers are acceptable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Almost this, I would say hormone blockers are acceptable
    For young children? There's not really much going on in their bodies that would require hormone blockers. Having said that, if I a 10 year old daughter who had started her period, I wouldn't allow for her to get hormone blockers. I wouldn't want to jeopardise her fertility at such a young age

ReputationRep:
    should a parent support a young child's wish to be a different gender??

As much as a parent should support a child who wants to be a space rocket to become one.

ReputationRep:
    For young children? There's not really much going on in their bodies that would require hormone blockers. Having said that, if I a 10 year old daughter who had started her period, I wouldn't allow for her to get hormone blockers. I wouldn't want to jeopardise her fertility at such a young age
    What age do you class as young?
    I would say before puberty starts.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Parents should always support their children as best they can, so long as what their children are saying/doing isn't causing harm to others. In the case of gender, I think that young children should be allowed to experiment. At a young age, it's hard to know whether a child is just playing and imagining or whether they are genuinely experiencing gender dysphoria. As they get older, it's important to engage in serious conversation with them about it. If they continue to express a desire to be viewed as a gender less commonly associated with their biological sex, their parents should support this. However, I don't think that children should be given HRT or gender reassignment surgery. As people grow up and mature, they often come to better understand themselves and the way they feel. I've known people who have believed they were trans for several years before realising that, actually, they just aren't as traditionally 'feminine' as they were expected to be as a small child, and that they misunderstood themselves. I also known someone who thought she was trans because she was quite 'masculine' and was attracted to women, but later realised that she was just gay.

ReputationRep:
    I will support my child to be the gender that they are born to be; either female or male.

ReputationRep:
    of course not. little children say all kinds of things like "Mommy i want to be a Dinosaur"... should the parents be obliged to take the offspring to have a tail and claws fitted ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovebigcocker)
    Are you actually dumb? No wonder Donald Trump won...
    What does that have to do with Trump? I never mentioned politics, and I'm far from a Trump supporter.

I've known people who are so uncomfortable being viewed as the gender that matches their biological sex that it has made them physically sick.

I probably am dumb, to be honest. Though I'm not sure how relevant my intellect is to whether or not I can state my opinion. I would prefer cohesive arguments when people respond against my opinions, though, rather than blanket statements about my intelligence and political alignment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    What age do you class as young?
    I would say before puberty starts.
    Yeah, but on average, girls hit puberty earlier than boys. Some girls start their period at age 9

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    of course not. little children say all kinds of things like "Mommy i want to be a Dinosaur"... should the parents be obliged to take the offspring to have a tail and claws fitted ?
    That's why dinosaur costumes exist. Let them dress up and pretend to be a dinosaur and if they want to be a dinosaur at age 18, they can go and get surgery done tbh

ReputationRep:
    That's why dinosaur costumes exist. Let them dress up and pretend to be a dinosaur and if they want to be a dinosaur at age 18, they can go and get surgery done tbh
    I honestly agree with this so much. Some people don't seem to understand that letting a child dress as the gender they want to be seen as and supporting this is not the same as letting a four year old get gender reassignment surgery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PotassiumIodide3)
    What does that have to do with Trump? I never mentioned politics, and I'm far from a Trump supporter.

I've known people who are so uncomfortable being viewed as the gender that matches their biological sex that it has made them physically sick.

I probably am dumb, to be honest. Though I'm not sure how relevant my intellect is to whether or not I can state my opinion. I would prefer cohesive arguments when people respond against my opinions, though, rather than blanket statements about my intelligence and political alignment.
    Encouraging children to doubt their gender is wrong. Promoting such activities is wrong too.

ReputationRep:
    There's no evidence to suggest hormone blockers jeopardise fertility They've already been used quite often in girls who start puberty at an uncomfortably early age (those who get their periods as six or seven year olds) without any ill affect. Your daughter would simply start/resume having her periods and go through puberty when and if she chose to stop taking the blockers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    There's no evidence to suggest hormone blockers jeopardise fertility They've already been used quite often in girls who start puberty at an uncomfortably early age (those who get their periods as six or seven year olds) without any ill affect. Your daughter would simply start/resume having her periods and go through puberty when and if she chose to stop taking the blockers.
    Even so, I wouldn't be comfortable with that for a young child. Maybe when they're older

ReputationRep:
    Even so, I wouldn't be comfortable with that for a young child. Maybe when they're older
    I think it depends on the situation. I entirely get being uncomfortable with it but if your child's transgender (or even to a lesser extent if they just think they might be, rightly or wrongly) then puberty is normally an absolutely horrible experience for them and leads to body dysphoria, social ostracisation and mental health issues - in those cases delaying their puberty and giving them room to experiment, even if they may not eventually want to transition when they're older, is at the very least the lesser evil in my mind.

ReputationRep:
    I think that kids need to have some understanding of what gender is before they can classify themselves as transgender. Let them mature and learn before they make any serious decisions.

A parents job should be to guide, educate, and support. Guide them by teaching them right from wrong, educate by explaining why something is right or wrong, and support them before, during, and after they have to make decisions for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    I think it depends on the situation. I entirely get being uncomfortable with it but if your child's transgender (or even to a lesser extent if they just think they might be, rightly or wrongly) then puberty is normally an absolutely horrible experience for them and leads to body dysphoria, social ostracisation and mental health issues - in those cases delaying their puberty and giving them room to experiment, even if they may not eventually want to transition when they're older, is at the very least the lesser evil in my mind.
    I think it depends on their age and how long they've been feeling like the opposite gender. It would definitely be a gradual transition though. Young children have the tendency to change their mind a lot

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on their age and how long they've been feeling like the opposite gender. It would definitely be a gradual transition though. Young children have the tendency to change their mind a lot
    Oh yeah, I don't think any medical professional would even contemplate prescribing hormone blockers because your daughter turned around one day and said "I think I'm a boy". The guidelines only recommend it if the child and had severe and consistently expressed gender identity issues - normally cases where they've already been presenting as the opposite gender in terms of their name/pronouns/appearance and are the happier for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fadel)
    Encouraging children to doubt their gender is wrong. Promoting such activities is wrong too.
    I never said anything about encouraging them to doubt their gender. The point I was making was that they should be supported by their parents as they try to understand the way they feel. I would never dream of trying to make my child doubt themselves, but I would always do my best to ensure that they are able to feel comfortable with the way they are, regardless of whether or not they experience gender dysphoria.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so.

A person may be interested in the idea of belonging to a different sex, race, species or other group, but what they are is what they are. I don't think doubts or dissatisfaction over identity should be actively propped up by parents, nor should a big deal be made of the curiosities that any child may experience. It risks leading perfectly normal, healthy children into firmly believing that something is wrong with them, even when there isn't.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.