Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've run into a bit of an issue.

I need a residential parking permit as I have my car at university. I'm a first year student renting a flat and the only way to park my car is with an on street permit. However, my car is registered to my home address in Oxfordshire, same with my license and insurance, the council gave me a new residents permit which has lasted me the three months and it's close to expiring and to get a new permit I'd need to change my address to my term-time address on my V5 which I'm kind of reluctant to do, however it's kind of necessary as they won't give me a permit without having the V5 addressed to my term time address.

My only other option is that I have a car park with an ANPR camera across the road which gives out permits but they want £195 per month which is ridiculous.

- How do I deal with this? Is it okay to change the address on my V5 document and have it be different on my insurance and license?
    - Is there any chance of the council giving me the permit without changing my V5? I have multiple ways of proof to show that I'm living at the address. (Even previous parking tickets given to me at the same place my car is parked now.)

I kind of already renewed my insurance and it's still insured to my house in Oxfordshire as it's way cheaper (I go to uni in Kingston). I have my occupation set to Student - Living away so that's fine and Tesco are chill with their black box so I'm not bothered about them and haven't been for the year.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. Don't say "don't bring your car to university" because a) I won't listen and b) I do my shopping in Tesco which is a 15 minute drive so yeah. I despise shopping in Sainsburys and Asda which are in town and I normally buy a lot of **** when I go shopping so it's easy to haul stuff, also much easier and cheaper to get back home.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Changing the V5 address shouldn't affect your insurance if they're already aware of your term-time address, however you should probably contact them and explain it to check you won't need to pay an additional premium. I don't imagine the council will budge on the requirement, but again you can just ask them, nothing to lose by double checking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Changing the V5 address shouldn't affect your insurance if they're already aware of your term-time address, however you should probably contact them and explain it to check you won't need to pay an additional premium. I don't imagine the council will budge on the requirement, but again you can just ask them, nothing to lose by double checking.
    What about my license address I read that the V5 address has to be the same as the insurance and license address. I've set my insurance to Student - Living Away but they never asked where I'm living so does that make a difference?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipG1)
    What about my license address I read that the V5 address has to be the same as the insurance and license address. I've set my insurance to Student - Living Away but they never asked where I'm living so does that make a difference?
    Looks like you're right about your licence address. Your insurance address might be okay still being at your parent's home, however it might be a bit tricky to explain it all if you're involved in an accident or the car gets stolen. If the car is being kept at your term-time address for the majority of the time, you should probably have it insured for that location.

Also as another note, it typically takes a over a month for a new V5 to arrive, so if you need to renew your permit anytime soon, you might be out of luck for a few weeks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's does not have to be the same at all. Just change your logbook address and be done with it; no need to change anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    It's does not have to be the same at all. Just change your logbook address and be done with it; no need to change anything else.
    Really? I've read so many times that the two must be the same
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Really? I've read so many times that the two must be the same
    Dunno what you've been reading but that's absolutely nonsense. You don't even have to be the person named on the logbook so why would it need to match a license. Don't worry about it as long as you still fulfil your duties as registered keeper lmfao

ReputationRep:
    Dunno what you've been reading but that's absolutely nonsense. You don't even have to be the person named on the logbook so why would it need to match a license. Don't worry about it as long as you still fulfil your duties as registered keeper lmfao
    It says on gov.uk that license address must be changed though
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It says on gov.uk that license address must be changed though
    In theory, your term time address isn't permanent - your home address is still your address. The DVLA do not mind; they are used to students having temporary addresses. If you prefer, you can ring their helpline and ask for advice, but from what I remember from a previous thread, they said not to bother.

ReputationRep:
    In theory, your term time address isn't permanent - your home address is still your address. The DVLA do not mind; they are used to students having temporary addresses. If you prefer, you can ring their helpline and ask for advice, but from what I remember from a previous thread, they said not to bother.
    I called the council and they said you didn't have to change your V5 address which is completely different from what they told me 3 months ago, all I have to do is send the standard proof of living at the address with my current V5 and my student ID. Soooo happy days
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I called the council and they said you didn't have to change your V5 address which is completely different from what they told me 3 months ago, all I have to do is send the standard proof of living at the address with my current V5 and my student ID. Soooo happy days
    That sounds much more logical! Glad you got it sorted :^)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.