The Student Room Group

pay £80 board - is it too much?

I've read loads of things with people saying that they pay £10 a week and parent who say we shouldn't get charged to live at home, so me paying £80 /week adds up.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Perfectly reasonable.

If you don't like it, you can leave.
How much do you earn? Your parents have probably lost that much in benefits they used to get for you.

As above - it's reasonable. You won't find anywhere cheaper with bills included.
Especially if that covers food/bills it's very reasonable. You can move out if you prefer.
Original post by ByronicHero
Perfectly reasonable.

This.

I'm not being funny but your parents have looked after you and provided for you since you were born. Now you are capable of looking after yourself and paying bills. I don't know your parents situation but maybe your parents need the money to pay bills. Alternatively you could look into moving out.
Perfectly reasonable.

Wow, I wouldn't want to be your child.

"Here son, here is the door"
Original post by Max_Walker

Children typically don't enjoy having to grow up, so I'm not surprised.

:console:
Seems quite reasonable it's less than renting a place especially if your parents have to pay council tax for you
Children typically don't enjoy having to grow up, so I'm not surprised.

:console:

Yes, but throwing them out at 18 won't do them any good. I don't mean to be racist (I probably will look like it now) but this is a typical white thing to do, no chinese, indian or arab family would dream of throwing their kids out at 18.

This is how kids end up on drugs/alcohol and/or the streets, you give them no support.

I think the government should pay child benefit to 21, call it support allowance after 18. Even throwing someone out at 21 is bad, people only really mature into the late twenties, early thirties.
Reply 9
Perfectly reasonable.

Original post by Tiger Rag
How much do you earn? Your parents have probably lost that much in benefits they used to get for you.

As above - it's reasonable. You won't find anywhere cheaper with bills included.

Original post by doodle_333
Especially if that covers food/bills it's very reasonable. You can move out if you prefer.

Original post by phunky_fresh
This.

I'm not being funny but your parents have looked after you and provided for you since you were born. Now you are capable of looking after yourself and paying bills. I don't know your parents situation but maybe your parents need the money to pay bills. Alternatively you could look into moving out.

Original post by claireestelle
Seems quite reasonable it's less than renting a place especially if your parents have to pay council tax for you

Yes, but throwing them out at 18 won't do them any good. I don't mean to be racist (I probably will look like it now) but this is a typical white thing to do, no chinese, indian or arab family would dream of throwing their kids out at 18.

This is how kids end up on drugs/alcohol and/or the streets, you give them no support.

I think the government should pay child benefit to 21, call it support allowance after 18. Even throwing someone out at 21 is bad, people only really mature into the late twenties, early thirties.

Thanks for your responses. Just to clarify I'm not 18 yet (hence why I'm asking) but I get that it's a good amount to pay with everything else being paid for.
Reply 10
Original post by Tiger Rag

I earn just under minimum wage so I get that. Thank you
Original post by AnonyMeAMA
Thanks for your responses. Just to clarify I'm not 18 yet (hence why I'm asking) but I get that it's a good amount to pay with everything else being paid for.

If you're working full time i d say being under 18 is a major difference in my mind, i offered my mum my ema at that age. They wont be paying council tax for you yet i think but that amount would be covering a third of household bills i recon and i bet you're good at budgeting now you pay for your keep:smile:
Reply 12
Original post by claireestelle
If you're working full time i d say being under 18 is a major difference in my mind, i offered my mum my ema at that age. They wont be paying council tax for you yet i think but that amount would be covering a third of household bills i recon and i bet you're good at budgeting now you pay for your keep:smile:

Ah right! I don't mind helping with bills and stuff and i like finding ways to save my money :smile:

I know various people from minority ethnic backgrounds who were thrown out by their parents. You are right that it is certainly far less common though. There is a big difference between asking them to leave, and creating very reasonable conditions of residence that they can choose to opt out of.

Asking for your child to make a contribution to their upkeep is entirely reasonable, even if you don't need the money. It teaches them something about responsibility. My child will be doing so as soon as they leave school. If I don't need the money, it will all go into an account they won't know about to be used as a mortgage deposit or whatever. The lesson is valuable.

If you have the money, you should help your parents. I moved out at 16 and have routinely helped my mum out with considerable amounts of money. It seems ridiculous to me that an adult would expect to be in a position to help and not offer to. Let alone waiting to be asked. I agree with you that people mature throughout their 20s, but delaying your child's adulthood for no good reason does them no favours.

I recognise that there are cultural differences, and respect a parents right to support their child for as long as they want. I also commend parents who don't want to let their progeny become overgrown toddlers.

Do you not find this reasonable?

but you work full time? if you've left education then your parents have lost the child support they used to get for you

£25 at least will be going on your food every week, possible more like £30 given they won't be shopping on a student budget

that leaves £50 which goes pretty quickly on bills, there'll be maybe £10-20 left for them to have just for rent
Reply 15
Original post by doodle_333
but you work full time? if you've left education then your parents have lost the child support they used to get for you

£25 at least will be going on your food every week, possible more like £30 given they won't be shopping on a student budget

that leaves £50 which goes pretty quickly on bills, there'll be maybe £10-20 left for them to have just for rent

Yeah I do and yeah I get that my parent has lost it for me but not the other kid.

They don't pay rent though, but I understand it's not a lot to contribute the £80
Doesn't really matter if it is reasonable or not. It is their house. They can name their price. If you don't like it, live elsewhere.
Reply 17
Original post by Sternumator
Doesn't really matter if it is reasonable or not. It is their house. They can name their price. If you don't like it, live elsewhere.

Fair enough. I was just curious to see how it compares to others'.
Reply 18
I earn just under minimum wage so I get that. Thank you

Unless the parents are in a difficult situation, I think that is quite heartless to make their child pay, especially if they're under 18.
Reply 19
Original post by Josb
Unless the parents are in a difficult situation, I think that is quite heartless to make their child pay, especially if they're under 18.

That's a reasonable way of looking at it, and I think I feel the same way but at the same time i think it's not as bad as if I fended for myself

Quick Reply

Latest