Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    I pay a grand total of £0
    How come?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMeAMA)
    What about if they're under 16 like in my case? I think the account is a good idea but I know my rent wouldn't go into one of those
    ah, I'm not in a position to answer. I know nothing about you or your family and your relationship. Plus I come from a background and culture that people never ever ever charge their children for living at home, quite the opposite, they encourage them to do so even when they are forty. If the child gets married then the father builds a house on top of their house so the daughter with the husband can live in. Which can be equally bad to paying rent as it does not cost you anything in money but it does in guilt and feelings of being trapped.

ReputationRep:
    How come?
    I'm Indian, it's not an Asian thing to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    I think if you're earning money and have a stable job then it's perfectly reasonable for parents to charge you rent, and £80 is less than you would pay elsewhere Otherwise you'd end up like my cousins, who are living at home (for free) into their late 20s/ 30s... Paying rent makes you appreciate what you earn more, become more responsible with your money, and give something back to the parents who have spent the last however many years paying for your food, board, education, holidays, toys, etc.

For students in full-time education it would be different, charging rent would encourage you to do more part-time work and thus detract from your studies.
    It's pretty stable, though I've not even been at it 6 months. I agree that I'll appreciate it more as I know a lot of people who don't pay anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CTLevers)
    £7.50 - 25+
    £7.05 - 21- 24
    £5.60 - 18-20
    £4.05 - Under 18
    £3.50 - Apprentice
    This is the minimum wage for 2017. So are you earning less than £5.60p/h?
    I'm earning just about that figure

ReputationRep:
    I'm earning just about that figure
    Then you are earning the minimum wage XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CTLevers)
    Then you are earning the minimum wage XD
    Yup just realised I've been looking at wrong figures

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elekro)
    ah, I'm not in a position to answer. I know nothing about you or your family and your relationship. Plus I come from a background and culture that people never ever ever charge their children for living at home, quite the opposite, they encourage them to do so even when they are forty. If the child gets married then the father builds a house on top of their house so the daughter with the husband can live in. Which can be equally bad to paying rent as it does not cost you anything in money but it does in guilt and feelings of being trapped.
    I see! It's interesting to hear how different other cultures view staying at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    I'm Indian, it's not an Asian thing to do!
    Right! makes sense

ReputationRep:
    I don't balance my work with education, just to clarify, and i'm going off adult minimum wage not the under 18/19 one. The percentage idea sounds good but I don't really have anything else I need to spend my wage on so I don't mind contributing.
    Fair enough, I made that assumption since that's what most people would be doing. In that case assuming work is primary and you're doing more than basic part time hours I'd say £80 per week is a fair rate. People that pay £10 per week are more likely students with a light part time job. Charging £80 to someone who's only working part time and in education would be quite unfair but if you are in full time work or have the option to go full time then I don't think it's an issue. That's a fairly normal rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Fair enough, I made that assumption since that's what most people would be doing. In that case assuming work is primary and you're doing more than basic part time hours I'd say £80 per week is a fair rate. People that pay £10 per week are more likely students with a light part time job. Charging £80 to someone who's only working part time and in education would be quite unfair but if you are in full time work or have the option to go full time then I don't think it's an issue. That's a fairly normal rate.
    Yes I can understand that. And thanks for your responses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikachū)
    What the **** is up white people taking rent from their own children :rofl:
    Different cultures and views on staying at home I guess

ReputationRep:
    I earn around £1000 a month and pay £110 in board a month

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ulik Mcghee)
    I earn around £1000 a month and pay £110 in board a month
    That's interesting thanks for sharing

ReputationRep:
    I've read loads of things with people saying that they pay £10 a week and parent who say we shouldn't get charged to live at home, so me paying £80 /week adds up.
    its not completely unreasonable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontWanna)
    its not completely unreasonable
    Okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    What's anyone else think?
    Are you in England? If so then:

"You must then do one of the following until you’re 18:
    • stay in full-time education, for example at a college
    • start an apprenticeship or traineeship
    • spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering, while in part-time education or training"

https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Are you in England? If so then:

"You must then do one of the following until you’re 18:
    • stay in full-time education, for example at a college
    • start an apprenticeship or traineeship
    • spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering, while in part-time education or training"

https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school
    Yeah I do :-)

ReputationRep:
    It' sa bit steep. It's The same as child maintainence If you then have to pay your own Food And stuff. If youre getting kept And have use of a car then no but i Knie of mothers / parents who are So greedy I'm sure they have no issue taking just because. Make sure it's fair plus If anyone else is in the house because youre not there to keep them...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I do :-)
    So which of those options are you doing?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.