Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was this rude of me? Watch

ReputationRep:
    'Yeah, it's to a friend -- sorry, it's kind of personal'. There. You've just told him to stop asking about it and been polite at the same time. Even if he shouldn't have been asking, I personally find it really grating when people just don't answer rather than coming out and saying they don't want to talk right now/ don't want to discuss something in particular. Also, if you actually say expressly that it's not up for discussion, he can't really come back the next day and ask you about it. Or if he does, then you are justified in just telling him to mind his own business.

Personally if I have an intensely private matter to deal with I don't do it in public where everyone can see my screen. That way no-one asks me about it.

[QUOTE=Amazon_Lover;69571346]
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Eventually our convo goes something like this:
    Him: is that an email you're typing?
    Me: yeah...
    Him: that is a long email. Is it to a friend?
    Me: yeah...
    (At this point he probably wanted me to expand but as I said it was a private matter so didn't really know what else to say)
    Him: I'm guessing your friend lives abroad?
    Me: yeah they do.

Depends on the tone of voice u used!
    Just normal tone. But like each time expecting the convo to stop so there were awkward pauses where he was waiting for me to say more. I didn't. So he had to ask another q. Rinse and repeat.

(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    'Yeah, it's to a friend -- sorry, it's kind of personal'. There. You've just told him to stop asking about it and been polite at the same time. Even if he shouldn't have been asking, I personally find it really grating when people just don't answer rather than coming out and saying they don't want to talk right now/ don't want to discuss something in particular. Also, if you actually say expressly that it's not up for discussion, he can't really come back the next day and ask you about it. Or if he does, then you are justified in just telling him to mind his own business.

Personally if I have an intensely private matter to deal with I don't do it in public where everyone can see my screen. That way no-one asks me about it.
    I know. I was going to a coffee shop to write it initially but been having *****y weather recently and been bringing my own lunch so was just easier to be at my desk. I'll take ur approach next time. Atleast like u said it doesn't give a chance for the other person to come back. In all honesty I always mind my own business so just assumed it would be the same the other way round. Like I'd only have to expected him to ask if I'd offered something first like "oh this email is taking so long" etc

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.