Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Well done Students !! Watch

ReputationRep:
    It was wonderful to read that 24% of students are getting Firsts now, compared to a paltry 8% in the 1990s.
    Those 1990s wastemen/wastewomen should be hiding their heads in shame.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-35362762.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...-students.html
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Wait, so 76% of students don't get Firsts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Wait, so 76% of students don't get Firsts?

tbh i always thought Firsts were a bit pushy... "ooh look at me and my enormous brain. "

ReputationRep:
    Is this really a good thing though..?
    Does it show a drop in standards (grade inflation)?
    Potentially caused by new-modern Mickey Mouse courses (won't name names)?

ReputationRep:
    Damn... I think I'll have to put my 100 m swimming certificate on my CV to help me stand out from the crowd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    Anything ending in "Studies"

ReputationRep:
    Let's be honest, this is down to one factor and one factor only. The internet. Google & wikipedia have by themselves have made university a million times easier. Don't even get started on moodle. Without the internet, I would have failed undergrad for sure. I can't even imagine what it would have been like having to actually be in a library to do an assignment and look through a dozen books for a citation.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Does it equate to the rise in fees?

Now that students are paying at least £9k a year, are they more inclined to 'make it worth it' and get the best grade that they can possibly get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    Anything ending in "Studies"
    Generally I'd agree with that, the only exception I can think of is "Business studies" - yet that course is a watered down version of "Business & Management".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roving Fish)
    Does it equate to the rise in fees?

Now that students are paying at least £9k a year, are they more inclined to 'make it worth it' and get the best grade that they can possibly get?
    That's a very very good point I forgot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Let's be honest, this is down to one factor and one factor only. The internet. Google & wikipedia have by themselves have made university a million times easier. Don't even get started on moodle. Without the internet, I would have failed undergrad for sure. I can't even imagine what it would have been like having to actually be in a library to do an assignment and look through a dozen books for a citation.
    Wouldn't this only mainly apply to BA courses?

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't this only mainly apply to BA courses?
    Yes you're right. You don't need libraries or citations in science degrees. How could I have forgotten?

ReputationRep:
    Yes you're right. You don't need libraries or citations in science degrees. How could I have forgotten?
    "Wouldn't this only mainly apply to BA courses"

Of course the sciences need libraries and citations, but citations are a lot less important than in a BA course...

ReputationRep:
    "Wouldn't this only mainly apply to BA courses"

Of course the sciences need libraries and citations, but citations are a lot less important than in a BA course...
    Yes, avoiding plagiarism is much less of a problem on science courses.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, avoiding plagiarism is much less of a problem on science courses.
    Well, yes it is... BSc courses are usually tested through MCQ / Closed-Book Essays / Practicals. Even when tested with a lab report, referencing is only needed when the science you write to explain something matches the difficulty of your course year/level. (So no need to reference A Level and below science). It's not as if you have to reference every single sentence as you would if you were doing, say, history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR_is_crap)
    How did you get into University with an E in Chemistry?
    Because I was set to get a B, but my grandad (who was a father to me as I've been estranged from my father since childhood) died a day before my first A2 Chemistry exam which then caused me to have an Ulcerative Colitis flare up.
    They saw my past grades and A Level Biology (A) and accepted that my performance was affected by those things.

ReputationRep:
    Because I was set to get a B, but my grandad (who was a father to me as I've been estranged from my father since childhood) died a day before my first A2 Chemistry exam which then caused me to have an Ulcerative Colitis flare up.
    They saw my past grades and A Level Biology (A) and accepted that my performance was affected by those things.
    But Chemistry is a hard A Level and you had a C at AS Level.....Hmmmmmm.

I would have dropped the Chemistry from AS Level, I guess you still want to do Medicine? Right?

ReputationRep:
    But Chemistry is a hard A Level and you had a C at AS Level.....Hmmmmmm.

I would have dropped the Chemistry from AS Level, I guess you still want to do Medicine? Right?
    Yeah? I was 2 UMS of a B at AS Level and got a B in the A2 Mocks. Unfortunately not everyone that does A Levels lives in a perfect world of being able to have a tutor, go to a grammar school, have state of the art teachers and be exempt from the upset of death and illness.

It baffles me as to why people think that I want to do Medicine. I have never wanted, do not want, and never will want to study Medicine. I'm far far more interested in the science behind disease - I want to be a Biomedical Scientist and work well away from the sort of people that doctors encounter every day. I'm not a very sociable person and my empathy isn't the greatest in the world (Autism) so it's best I stay behind the scenes.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah? I was 2 UMS of a B at AS Level and got a B in the A2 Mocks. Unfortunately not everyone that does A Levels lives in a perfect world of being able to have a tutor, go to a grammar school, have state of the art teachers and be exempt from the upset of death and illness.

It baffles me as to why people think that I want to do Medicine. I have never wanted, do not want, and never will want to study Medicine. I'm far far more interested in the science behind disease - I want to be a Biomedical Scientist and work well away from the sort of people that doctors encounter every day. I'm not a very sociable person and my empathy isn't the greatest in the world (Autism) so it's best I stay behind the scenes.
    Tutors don't help if you don't put the work in/ or are thick. Grammar schools are not the be all and end all, I went to one and the teaching was terrible most of the time. Illness and death is a part of life, I gave my 11+ exam with a fever and got in. Putting all that aside, where do you study OP, Biomed is usually taken by people who want another shot at Medicine. Though a lot who don't get into Medicine at the second attempt go into lab work/ big pharma.

ReputationRep:
    Tutors don't help if you don't put the work in/ or are thick. Grammar schools are not the be all and end all, I went to one and the teaching was terrible most of the time. Illness and death is a part of life, I gave my 11+ exam with a fever and got in. Putting all that aside, where do you study OP, Biomed is usually taken by people who want another shot at Medicine. Though a lot who don't get into Medicine at the second attempt go into lab work/ big pharma.
    You did all that and here you are, posting on TSR at 11AM on a week day. Just like the rest of us

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.