Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonOfAGeek)
    Well my Dad built a model using FOI data on HAT scores by college, college 'import' percentages, # of places by college for a History (OUSU data). & a few other bits and predicts my most likely landing spots (if I get my grades) as 1. St. Hugh's 2. Somerville 3. LMH 4. Catz (under-wrote offer, would not be in top 10 otherwise) 5. St. Hilda's 6. Exeter 7. Mansfield 8. St. Anne's 9. Lincoln =10. Oriel/Hertford. He said he'd refine it if I can find more data but be interesting to compare this to what happens 😂
    That's so cool!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alvinvin7)
    I also asked for feedback since I just like to analyze data. I also can know if I really need to get the required offer (in case that I am in the borderline between getting in or not). I don't think Oxford would reverse an offer (except maybe from rejected to actually getting an offer e.g. someone called them and told them that s/he is not going). So hopefully we are fine (elainechan666)
    so glad to hear I'm not the lone feedback requester lmao

ReputationRep:
    Well my Dad built a model using FOI data on HAT scores by college, college 'import' percentages, # of places by college for a History (OUSU data). & a few other bits and predicts my most likely landing spots (if I get my grades) as 1. St. Hugh's 2. Somerville 3. LMH 4. Catz (under-wrote offer, would not be in top 10 otherwise) 5. St. Hilda's 6. Exeter 7. Mansfield 8. St. Anne's 9. Lincoln =10. Oriel/Hertford. He said he'd refine it if I can find more data but be interesting to compare this to what happens 😂
    wtf I agree thats so cool, I'm gonna make my dad do this for me now

ReputationRep:
    I did a similar, albeit not quite as efficient analysis and came up with the same Top 2 as you; St Hugh's & Somerville

ReputationRep:
    Roughly 1 of 3 applicants receives an open offer. So there's a lot of us .
    Ahh alright, that's reassuring- no one I know has one so I was curious

ReputationRep:
    It's nice to find this thread! I got an open offer by Exeter for maths&cs.

ReputationRep:
    Roughly 1 of 3 applicants receives an open offer. So there's a lot of us .
    Not sure that is correct. About 30% applicants go to a college other than their preference but that includes reallocations, pooled interviews/second interviews, open offers etc.

@BrasenoseAdm might be able to shed more light but I would guess(!) 5-10% per subject possibly depending on the typical levels of dropout/failure to meet offers of direct applicants.

Perhaps (surmise/question not fact) open offers are more common for people who made open applications or got reallocated for first interview or subsequently pooled?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 66mhnldn)
    Not sure that is correct. About 30% applicants go to a college other than their preference but that includes reallocations, pooled interviews/second interviews, open offers etc.

@BrasenoseAdm might be able to shed more light but I would guess(!) 5-10% per subject possibly depending on the typical levels of dropout/failure to meet offers of direct applicants.

Perhaps (surmise/question not fact) open offers are more common for people who made open applications or got reallocated for first interview or subsequently pooled?
    Over the past three years, just under 1 in 5 of our offers have been Opens.

We are not sure what the overall position is across Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Brasenose typically has very strong applicants so guess it will vary a lot by college but it seems there is quite a few of us which is good.

ReputationRep:
    Might as well post in here.

I'm holding an open offer for Physics underwritten by Mansfield (which was the college I stayed at as well).

ReputationRep:
    Open Offer from St. Peter's! (IB 39 w/ 7-6-6 for Chem HL/Bio HL/Maths SL)

I guess it's a bit reassuring to hear that I'm not "the least highest ranked successful candidates" so perhaps this is a blessing in disguise!

Feel free to reply w/ questions/comments!

ReputationRep:
    History open offer. Christ Church.

ReputationRep:
    Hi im gonna hopefully do physics at queens college, anyone else going there?

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I'm holding an open offer for Law, underwritten by St. Hilda's! Was way too excited and over the moon when I first got the news of my offer to actually wonder too much about what an open offer meant, but now that the initial euphoria's slowly dying down, have been quite curious about what kind of candidate I was to get an open offer.

Good to know, based on what other people in this thread have said, that we aren't borderline candidates! (Not that it would actually matter too much to me if I was one; one way or another I got in!)

Can't wait for October!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 66mhnldn)

Sorry for the wrong information. Although, Kellyanne Conway would argue that it's Alternative Facts .

From my own subject feedback that is available at:
    https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-her...dmissions-test

Turns out "26% (27% in 2015) are either open offers or made by a college other than the first college considering the applicant."

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Open Offer Holders: if you get your grades/have an unconditional do you hope to go to the college that underwrote your offer, actively prefer one or more other colleges or have any colleges you would rather not get allocated to if possible?

Ultimately all we can do is get our grades and hope. I know I would be fine if Catz keep me. I'd be quite chuffed with a historic, centrally located college. I do have some reservations about landing in a PPH but I don't really have strong preferences. Oxford is Oxford and all that. What about you all?

ReputationRep:
    Open Offer Holders: if you get your grades/have an unconditional do you hope to go to the college that underwrote your offer, actively prefer one or more other colleges or have any colleges you would rather not get allocated to if possible?

Ultimately all we can do is get our grades and hope. I know I would be fine if Catz keep me. I'd be quite chuffed with a historic, centrally located college. I do have some reservations about landing in a PPH but I don't really have strong preferences. Oxford is Oxford and all that. What about you all?
    thats a really good question, my offer was underwritten by St. Anne's, I wouldn't mind too much to end up there but I know that I would much rather go to an older, bigger, more centrally located college with more history and architecture. Then again we're all aware of the saying that colleges are more similar then they are different, but subjectively I still have a preference. I'm actually not worried about ending up in a PPH because they don't offer my course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elainechan666)
    thats a really good question, my offer was underwritten by St. Anne's, I wouldn't mind too much to end up there but I know that I would much rather go to an older, bigger, more centrally located college with more history and architecture. Then again we're all aware of the saying that colleges are more similar then they are different, but subjectively I still have a preference. I'm actually not worried about ending up in a PPH because they don't offer my course
    I think that's a fair assessment, which course was your offer for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Constantinople)
    I think that's a fair assessment, which course was your offer for?
    psychology and philosophy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elainechan666)
    psychology and philosophy
    A couple of PPHs offer history so it is a risk for me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.