Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    Your teacher is correct and taught the topic well. So many teachers don't which is why we get so many students on TSR who think that e.g.

\displaystyle \int e^{x^2} \ dx = \frac{1}{2x} e^{x^2}+c
    Actually makes total sense when you think about it. I was trying to integrate e^(x^2) for like 30 minutes before looking it up and finding out it's impossible. Thing is that if you try do a reverse chain rule where the function inside the bracket is not linear, you're going to divide by another function of x. When you come to differentiate to check if you've got the same answer, you'll have another function to deal with that wouldn't have been there otherwise so not equal. I explained that really poorly but yeah.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    Ok so all of the integrals can be worked out without the need of having to use Substitution? So Integration by Parts is still in there etc?

I ask because I'm thinking of using it on...

\int 2x(x^2-3)^4 dx

You're not too confident with the pattern recognition / inspection methods of integration so you're going to find a lot of the integrals on that sheet very challenging. But actually these recognition/inspection methods aren't required that much in C4 exams. So don't make this the focus of your revision - keep doing as many past papers as you can.

If you can spot the pattern then that's the main thing since once you've spotted it you can either reverse the differentiation (the quickest method) or you can make a substitution for the function whose derivative you can also see in the expression.

E.g. \displaystyle \int 3x(4x^2+3)^5 \ dx

You need to notice that 3x is a constant away from the derivative of 4x^2+3 so that means you make a substitution for 4x^2+3. This works because in the substitution method you find the derivative of 4x^2+3 and this ends up "cancelling" with the 3x.

Or the quickest method is to consider the derivative of (4x^2+3)^6 but this takes a lot of practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Substitute u=\sin(3x-2)

Or recognise that it's almost in the form f'(x)[f(x)]^n
    Oh yes I'm still having trouble using f'(x)[f(x)]^n with these types e.g.  f(x) = sin^3 x \Rightarrow f'(x) = 3 cosx sin^2 x

So I managed to work out...
     \int cos(3x-2)sin^2(3x-2) dx

= \frac{1}{3} \int 3cos(3x-2)sin^2(3x-2) dx

= \frac{1}{9}sin^3 (3x-2) + c

Gonna attempt this by substitution now I will not be defeated!

Edit: RDKGames Ok, maybe I actually am still confused with the example above! How is  \int cos x sin^2 x classified as a f'(x)[f(x)]^n type if the derivative of  sin^2 x is  2cos x sinx ??

Wait... I think I see it now, it's cos  \int cos x sin^2 x can be re-written as  \int cos x (sinx)^2 so that fits the f'(x)[f(x)]^n criteria, right?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes I'm still having trouble using f'(x)[f(x)]^n with these types e.g.  f(x) = sin^3 x \Rightarrow f'(x) = 3 cosx sin^2 x

So I managed to work out...
     \int cos(3x-2)sin^2(3x-2) dx

= \frac{1}{3} \int 3cos(3x-2)sin^2(3x-2) dx

= \frac{1}{9}sin^3 (3x-2) + c

Gonna attempt this by substitution now I will not be defeated!

Edit: RDKGames Ok, maybe I actually am still confused with the example above! How is  \int cos x sin^2 x classified as a f'(x)[f(x)]^n type if the derivative of  sin^2 x is  2cos x sinx ??
    You pick \sin(x) not \sin^2(x)

ReputationRep:
    You pick \sin(x) not \sin^2(x)
    Wait... I think I see it now, it's cos  \int cos x sin^2 x can be re-written as  \int cos x (sinx)^2 so that fits the f'(x)[f(x)]^n criteria, right?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    I feel so stupid! I spent so long trying to figure this out over something that is actually so so so simple!! Thanks for clearing this up!

You're not too confident with the pattern recognition / inspection methods of integration so you're going to find a lot of the integrals on that sheet very challenging. But actually these recognition/inspection methods aren't required that much in C4 exams. So don't make this the focus of your revision - keep doing as many past papers as you can.

If you can spot the pattern then that's the main thing since once you've spotted it you can either reverse the differentiation (the quickest method) or you can make a substitution for the function whose derivative you can also see in the expression.

E.g. \displaystyle \int 3x(4x^2+3)^5 \ dx

You need to notice that 3x is a constant away from the derivative of 4x^2+3 so that means you make a substitution for 4x^2+3. This works because in the substitution method you find the derivative of 4x^2+3 and this ends up "cancelling" with the 3x.

Or the quickest method is to consider the derivative of (4x^2+3)^6 but this takes a lot of practice.
    Yeah I'm definitely still trying to get to grips with f'(x)[f(x)]^n = \frac{[f(x)]^{n+1}}{n+1} + c

It may take me a while
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm definitely still trying to get to grips with f'(x)[f(x)]^n = \frac{[f(x)]^{n+1}}{n+1} + c

It may take me a while
    This is what inspection is, in essence.

ReputationRep:
    This is what inspection is, in essence.
    Yeah I'm slowly getting the hang of it! I remember when I first came across inspection of  \int \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} types, I just didn't understand any of it, but I got there in the end

ReputationRep:
    So I just attempted Question 5 of Edexcel C4 January 2013 paper and came across a few silly little things I have forgotten such as the fact that  \frac{d(a^x)}{dx} = a^x ln a

But then I came across something that I can't recall ever seeing in my life!  \int a^x dx = \frac{a^x}{ln a}
    Why have I never come across this before?!!
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    So I just attempted Question 5 of Edexcel C4 January 2013 paper and came across a few silly little things I have forgotten such as the fact that  \frac{d(a^x)}{dx} = a^x ln a

But then I came across something that I can't recall ever seeing in my life!  \int a^x dx = \frac{a^x}{ln a}
    They don't come up often, and I think they're in the formula booklet, so it doesn't matter whether you know them or not. Have a go at deriving it yourself so you how it's true and be able to derive it yourself in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    They don't come up often, and I think they're in the formula booklet, so it doesn't matter whether you know them or not. Have a go at deriving it yourself so you how it's true and be able to derive it yourself in the exam.
    They're not in the formula book for Edexcel (unless I'm being stupid). I know how to prove  \frac{d(a^x)}{dx} = a^x ln a but I have no idea how to prove  \int a^x dx = \frac{a^x}{ln a}

Reality is starting to hit me that I'm not prepared for these exams over the next 2 months
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    They're not in the formula book for Edexcel (unless I'm being stupid). I know how to prove  \frac{d(a^x)}{dx} = a^x ln a but I have no idea how to prove  \int a^x dx = \frac{a^x}{ln a}

Reality is starting to hit me that I'm not prepared for these exams over the next 2 months
    Just try different methods. Have a go, see what happens.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

Yes when this integral came up it stumped a lot of students.

If you know that the derivative of a^x is a^x \ln a then you should be able to reverse this to find the integral of a^x since \ln a is just a constant.

Alternatively, you are given this result in the formula book:

a^x = e^{x\ln a}

You can use this to find both the derivative and integral of a^x. Let us know if you're not sure how.

But for the derivative of a^x it's worth also knowing the proof that involves taking logs of both sides / implicit differentiation since there's a small chance that it would be required in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Yes when this integral came up it stumped a lot of students.

If you know that the derivative of a^x is a^x \ln a then you should be able to reverse this to find the integral of a^x since \ln a is just a constant.

Alternatively, you are given this result in the formula book:

a^x = e^{x\ln a}

You can use this to find both the derivative and integral of a^x. Let us know if you're not sure how.

But for the derivative of a^x it's worth also knowing the proof that involves taking logs of both sides / implicit differentiation since there's a small chance that it would be required in the exam.
    SHOULD be able to but I don't think I understand how I can prove  \frac{d(a^x)}{dx} = a^x ln a but I don't know how to prove  \int a^x dx = \frac{a^x}{ln a} FML why is everything so difficult for me to get my head around? :/

Also I have no idea how a^x = e^{x\ln a} is linked to the above Seriously feel like giving up this close to the exams!
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    SHOULD be able to but I don't think I understand how I can prove  \frac{d(a^x)}{dx} = a^x ln a but I don't know how to prove  \int a^x dx = \frac{a^x}{ln a} FML why is everything so difficult for me to get my head around? :/

Also I have no idea how a^x = e^{x\ln a} is linked to the above Seriously feel like giving up this close to the exams!
    Well... you know how to integrate e^{ax} where a is a constant, so you already know how to integrate e^{x\ln(a)}

ReputationRep:
    Well... you know how to integrate e^{ax} where a is a constant, so you already know how to integrate e^{x\ln(a)}
    So if...
     \int e^{2x} = \frac{1}{2} e^{2x} + c

then...
     \int e^{xln(a)} = \frac{1}{ln(a)} e^{xln(a)} + c ??? Something tells me I did something wrong there!
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    So if...
     \int e^{2x} = \frac{1}{2} e^{2x}

then...
     \int e^{xln(a)} = \frac{1}{ln(a)} e^{xln(a)} ??? Something tells me I did something wrong there!
    Why do you think its wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think its wrong?
    Cos it's not the same format as  \int a^x dx = \frac{a^x}{ln a}

I actually have no idea what I'm talking about right now
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Cos it's not the same format as  \int a^x dx = \frac{a^x}{ln a}

I actually have no idea what I'm talking about right now
    Yes it is. Look at all the information, there is one equality that shows they're both the same.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.