Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Daughter was rejected from Oxford. I came home to this... Watch

• TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    While some people were elated this week with their decision from Oxford, some were left heartbroken.

Louisa Saunder's daughter had applied to Oxford, but had received a rejection letter. By the time Louisa had come home from work, her daughter had made this out of her rejection letter.

Personally I this is such a beautiful example of making lemonade out of lemons.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Interesting use of the letter...
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Plot twist: She applied to Oxford Brookes

ReputationRep:
    This would be a right kick in the teeth if she applied for Art

ReputationRep:
    I can see why she got rejected if she was applying for art.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    This is trending on twitter now! Such an amazing piece of art, who needs Oxford when you can open your own art exhibition :holmes:
    Or is it just a bunch of shapes intermixed with cut out pieces of letter

ReputationRep:
    It looks like something that a 5 year old would make

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Moon Man)
    It looks like something that a 5 year old would make
    Yeah, I can understand abstract art may not be everyone's cup of chai.

But at the risk of being presumptuous, you can see what she is trying to do. The change of colours is her roller coaster emotion while she was reading the words in her rejection letter. White is elation, yellow is hope, the bright red is the gravity of rejection sinking in, blue is gloom, and black is despair. Each strip is placed excellently between changing colours.

There are fields in psychology entirely dedicated to how humans can map meanings into things that don't seem directly associated. Colour (black) and mood (sadness), Feelings (love, anger) and taste (sweet, bitter). It's great someone young can intuitively bring it out in art.

So it's a bit more complex than a toddler's scribbles.

But if that's not very interesting, we can at least agree that it's a productive way to deal with rejection.

ReputationRep:
    Great way of dealing with rejection to be honest, it's like the people who frame their rejection letters on their walls. You tackle the rejection and move on.

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly what Beyoncé did :love:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    I really like this. I'm not a massive fan of abstract art, but I really like this. I wish I could take rejection in such a way

ReputationRep:
    I kept my Oxford rejection letter til I got an offer one from Cambridge 3 years later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    This is trending on twitter now! Such an amazing piece of art, who needs Oxford when you can open your own art exhibition :holmes:
    Amazing piece of art? are you serious? Are we looking at the same picture?....it looks crap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephenWond3rboy)
    Yeah, I can understand abstract art may not be everyone's cup of chai.

But at the risk of being presumptuous, you can see what she is trying to do. The change of colours is her roller coaster emotion while she was reading the words in her rejection letter. White is elation, yellow is hope, the bright red is the gravity of rejection sinking in, blue is gloom, and black is despair. Each strip is placed excellently between changing colours.

There are fields in psychology entirely dedicated to how humans can map meanings into things that don't seem directly associated. Colour (black) and mood (sadness), Feelings (love, anger) and taste (sweet, bitter). It's great someone young can intuitively bring it out in art.

So it's a bit more complex than a toddler's scribbles.

But if that's not very interesting, we can at least agree that it's a productive way to deal with rejection.
    With the patterns in the way the colors are laid out, is there any meaning or is it just what was intuitively aesthetic to the artist?
    No idea how this stuff works >.<

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me what the painting is depicting? cause it looks like random blocks of feelings to me.

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys even Modern Art?

ReputationRep:
    WOW Look at that brave girl that can paint like a 2 year old and use glue and scissors, these are clearly the people we wand going to oxford.
    I wish I was this talented.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    With the patterns in the way the colors are laid out, is there any meaning or is it just what was intuitively aesthetic to the artist?
    No idea how this stuff works >.<
    I am afraid I don't know the layout of an oxford rejection letter. But the strips seem to be in order and narrating the letter from start to end (more or less). So I suspect the colours are laid out following the roller coaster emotional pattern while going through the rejection letter.

But there's more to it than whatever general observations I made. I am sure there is a very good reason why the strips are placed in directions in which they are as well.

Anyway, I made my observations more from the view of someone who has been using his free time to read Jordan Peterson's works in psychology (maps of meaning) than an artist. So my sophistication and understanding are very limited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    I kept my Oxford rejection letter til I got an offer one from Cambridge 3 years later
    What did you do in those three years? and what did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    if there are no stained bedsheets it ain't art

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.