The Student Room Group

My Daughter was rejected from Oxford. I came home to this...

Scroll to see replies

That's great and very creative!
Anyone else find this creepy/dark...?
Her art is a bit simplistic.

In my opinion it would have been cool if she didn't rip up the rejection letter and used that piece of paper as her canvas. To create a self portrait, instead of creating a finger painting.
(edited 7 years ago)
my friend was disappointed with his degree... came home to this:

camdegreeblack.png
Is she angry, upset, relieved? I can't tell.
Original post by StephenWond3rboy
I am afraid I don't know the layout of an oxford rejection letter. But the strips seem to be in order and narrating the letter from start to end (more or less). So I suspect the colours are laid out following the roller coaster emotional pattern while going through the rejection letter.

But there's more to it than whatever general observations I made. I am sure there is a very good reason why the strips are placed in directions in which they are as well.

Anyway, I made my observations more from the view of someone who has been using his free time to read Jordan Peterson's works in psychology (maps of meaning) than an artist. So my sophistication and understanding are very limited.

Cheers for elucidating.
I couldn't find much on the 'maps of meaning', though.
Original post by knightchildish
It's not a subsidy then. It's a loan.

The government gives universities money to top up the £9k fees to cover the costs of providing STEM degrees. This is further supplemented within universities by redirecting funds from low cost, high price degrees (like business and humanities) to expensive lab based facilities, equipment and staff.

It's a subsidy. That money is not repayable in any way.
Original post by Overthinking
What did you do in those three years? and what did you apply for?

A degree. Maths and Stats.
Original post by AperfectBalance
WOW Look at that brave girl that can paint like a 2 year old and use glue and scissors, these are clearly the people we wand going to oxford.
I wish I was this talented.

Then do it and get rich.

Sold for over $2 million and looks much more like a drawing by a toddler than the one in the OP...
Original post by yudothis
Then do it and get rich.

Sold for over $2 million and looks much more like a drawing by a toddler than the one in the OP...

I really don't get the valuation on some abstract art. Like what sets this apart from art anyone else makes. Why can't I make a painting that's just a shade of red with a blue circle? What is the differentiating factor that makes some art successful/valuable and others not?
Original post by Stella Rubae
Amazing piece of art? are you serious? Are we looking at the same picture?....it looks crap

It's a shame when people are being told that the things they get enjoyment out of doing, the things they create, the way that they choose to respond to things, that neither affect nor harm any other person, are crap. I'm sure she wasn't looking for your approval on her seemingly spur of the moment piece of work anyway.

Do you have any hobbies that are useful to me?

I'm guessing she should have read the letter, posted on TSR about how disappointed she was, and then wasted the rest of the night online right?

It may not be productive, but you'll fit right into society!
Could have come home to something worse...

The thing about art is that it can be portrayed and expressed in any way the artists wants. Just because it looks like it was created by a 2 yr it doesn't mean it's bad.
Original post by IamJacksContempt
I really don't get the valuation on some abstract art. Like what sets this apart from art anyone else makes. Why can't I make a painting that's just a shade of red with a blue circle? What is the differentiating factor that makes some art successful/valuable and others not?

Most art (that is valued highly) has some meaning or story behind it. I mean, would I prefer a red circle painted by you, or one painted by Picasso? Probably the later.

A lot of famous artists also do something new. If your circle looks like somebody else's work, then it's not going to very unique, which is often what people are looking for. Nobody painted like Van Gogh before Van Gogh, Picasso before Picasso, Warhol before Warhol, etc. If you just wanna copy the style of these guys, then no matter how good you are, art will likely remain a hobby for you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reminds me of some of Piet Mondrian's work , perhaps she was inspired by him
Original post by Quixote.
Most art (that is valued highly) has some meaning or story behind it. I mean, would I prefer a red circle painted by you, or one painted by Picasso? Probably the later.

A lot of famous artists also do something new. If your circle looks like somebody else's work, then it's not going to very unique, which is often what people are looking for. Nobody painted like Van Gogh before Van Gogh, Picasso before Picasso, Warhol before Warhol, etc. If you just wanna copy the style of these guys, then no matter how good you are, art will likely remain a hobby for you.

But surely you can create something without intending any meaning behind it, but others will find meaning anyway through their own interpretation?

So it would basically just come down to being unique and reputable?
Original post by stereoashhh
I can't believe people are legitimately defending the picture lmao

Its beautiful
Hissy fit from a millennial.

Next.
Love the OP!

Goldsmiths next or the RCA or similar. :yep:

Horses for courses.

Quick Reply

Latest