Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Daughter was rejected from Oxford. I came home to this... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Love the OP!

Goldsmiths next or the RCA or similar. :yep:

Horses for courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    I really don't get the valuation on some abstract art. Like what sets this apart from art anyone else makes. Why can't I make a painting that's just a shade of red with a blue circle? What is the differentiating factor that makes some art successful/valuable and others not?
    It's about originality, aesthetics and the ideas that go into it and what it does to the observer.

That said, a lot of contemporary art pricing is disconnected from the underlying quality and is more about what certain art buyers (especially very rich and influential ones like Charles Saatchi) spend their money on and choose rather than a more widespread acclaim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stereoashhh)
    I can't believe people are legitimately defending the picture lmao
    I can't believe that what you wrote had absolutely no relevance to what I wrote.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't get the valuation on some abstract art. Like what sets this apart from art anyone else makes. Why can't I make a painting that's just a shade of red with a blue circle? What is the differentiating factor that makes some art successful/valuable and others not?
    I think the artists of those valuable painting need to make a name for themselves first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stereoashhh)
    I can't believe people are legitimately defending the picture lmao
    Its crazy, modern abstract art is just a pile of junk

ReputationRep:
    I think the artists of those valuable painting need to make a name for themselves first.
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by AperfectBalance)
    Its crazy, modern abstract art is just a pile of junk
    I agree.
    Art is skill or a talent, that is what makes artwork unique and special is the fact that most people couldn't produce it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Why are people so desperate to hate on stuff that doesn't even remotely affect them...
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Why are people so desperate to hate on stuff that doesn't even remotely affect them...
    IT MAKES ME FEEL MORE IMPORTANT IF I INSULT THE THINGS OTHER PEOPLE LIKE!!!

Or something.

ReputationRep:
    It's just for the sake of discussion, I guess. Wouldn't be much point in a thread if nobody played the Devils Advocate.

My worry is that people are hating on something they don't understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny Dorito)
    While some people were elated this week with their decision from Oxford, some were left heartbroken.

Louisa Saunder's daughter had applied to Oxford, but had received a rejection letter. By the time Louisa had come home from work, her daughter had made this out of her rejection letter.

Personally I this is such a beautiful example of making lemonade out of lemons.
    Pure emotions... pure art ~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    I agree.
    Art is skill or a talent, that is what makes artwork unique and special is the fact that most people couldn't produce it.
    Exactly, there are a lot of things that are subjective such as music and obviously art, I dont really like graffiti art especially if it is against the law, but I understand why people like it and that it takes skill. But I am quite happy to say that most "modern" """""""""art"""""""""" is talentless and pure stupidity, and anyone claiming that a line or a few stripes has some extremely deep meaning is pretentious and stupid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    Exactly, there are a lot of things that are subjective such as music and obviously art, I dont really like graffiti art especially if it is against the law, but I understand why people like it and that it takes skill. But I am quite happy to say that most "modern" """""""""art"""""""""" is talentless and pure stupidity, and anyone claiming that a line or a few stripes has some extremely deep meaning is pretentious and stupid
    I dont really think you can say its talentless.

If you can make a **** ton of money from doing something so apparently mindless and simple..

Is it really talentless?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    Hating on the OP is wrong as a) least she attempted to get in which takes courage and b) idc what people do as long as it doesn't affect others.
    When it comes to modern art tho people have every right to criticise it as it is in the public domain and art should be talked about and debated as it is subjective, some things can be clever and i understand the concepts behind them but as someone doing art it annoys me that i have had to work my guts out just to produce stuff that an examiner would deem an A* whereas ostensibly some 'artist' can slap some paint on a canvas and call it art. Im not stupid ik there is a lot of thought process behind it and they have often qualified from institutes that do advocate more skilled art but just a thought.
    I saw this in the Tate Modern
    I love the deep meaning behind it
    Modern art 😩👌

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    I dont really think you can say its talentless.

If you can make a **** ton of money from doing something so apparently mindless and simple..

Is it really talentless?
    If you can convince a idiot that this is art and worth a lot of money then yes you have a bit of skill, but if you make this and belive it is art then yes it is talentless.

ReputationRep:
    Because we have a generation of over-pampered middle class snowflakes who fail to deal with issues a mature person would have brushed off in a day.

ReputationRep:
    Not art ~ ?

http://www.theartstory.org/artist-mondrian-piet.htm
    • Welcome Squad

Having studied this artist some would argue yes, the reason being when he did it it was revolutionary and nobody had done it before, think the Damien Hurst stuff etc
    even though i dont particularly like these pieces, especially Hurst's stuff you do have to appreciate that they were bucking the status quo of the art establishment which is quite admirable
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Thread unlocked

ReputationRep:
    Please do not delete the threat. or anything.. The purpose of art is to provoke awe... provoke reaction or feeling.. good or bad.. it is these reactions that make a masterpiece... a masterpiece ~

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.