Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Daughter was rejected from Oxford. I came home to this... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisamess)
    Just saying but I'm fairly sure she made this as a joke not something to hang in the Tate, and most of her other artwork is figurative, not abstract.
    Yeah she'd have smeared it with excrement and nailed it to a pickled hedgehog if she was trying to get into the Tate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Yeah she'd have smeared it with excrement and nailed it to a pickled hedgehog if she was trying to get into the Tate
    There was a modern performance art exhibition in Canada..... I won't tell the details, you can probably extrapolate from there xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    I kept my Oxford rejection letter til I got an offer one from Cambridge 3 years later
    Did you apply to Cambridge as a graduate?

ReputationRep:
    I kept my Oxford rejection letter til I got an offer one from Cambridge 3 years later
    Was the offer for postgraduate studies

ReputationRep:
    Why have so many people responded to this with snark and elevated self-importance? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheExtrovertGod)
    Is that blood? :rofl:

Scary
    No, it's just a bunch of red, brown, white and black paint

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    Why have so many people responded to this with snark and elevated self-importance? :/
    Because nowadays people feel the need to be cynical about everything I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebelljar98)
    Did you apply to Cambridge as a graduate?

(Original post by STRANGER2)
    Was the offer for postgraduate studies
    Yup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'etranger)
    Because we have a generation of over-pampered middle class snowflakes who fail to deal with issues a mature person would have brushed off in a day.

Dealing with it in a mature way is precisely what she’s doing, and this is the same day, so it sounds like she is brushing it off in a day. You know nothing about her, what a pathetic strawman. Nothing more tiresome than millennials complaining about millennials.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Why are people so desperate to hate on stuff that doesn't even remotely affect them...
    Art is made to be talked about. An unpopular song by Justin Bieber doesn't really affect people's lives if they just don't listen to it, but people still talk smack. Art is controversial and everyone has their taste, and it's their right to showcase their taste, it's perfectly normal to criticise art because if we didn't , there would be no standards in the art industry

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    It looks great...If dookie looked great.

ReputationRep:
    Yup.
    I'm thinking of doing the same. Can you apply to both Oxford and Cambridge as a grad?

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how much this piece is worth now?

I am reminded of the episode of One Foot in the Grave where Meldrew takes the old shed roof from an artist's garden.

Seems to me that the controversy of modern art is part of its appeal.

FWIW, I do quite like the piece. I doubt that it's the first time it's been done, but even so.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of doing the same. Can you apply to both Oxford and Cambridge as a grad?
    Yes but remember the emphasis with graduate is more on 'does this place have the right supervisor for my project', not the prestige factor of undergrad so much.

ReputationRep:
    i think it's brilliant, particularly the 'sorry to have to inform you' line. the dark paint makes it quite heartbreaking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    :facepalm:
    I think that art should be unique, otherwise it's just design.
    Like David's Napoleon Crossing the Alps

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napole...ssing_the_Alps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Like David's Napoleon Crossing the Alps

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napole...ssing_the_Alps
    Each version is clearly unique. It is possible to tell the version just by looking at them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Each version is clearly unique. It is possible to tell the version just by looking at them.
    As it is the different colours of Koon's Balloon Dog. There is no artistic significance other than to make the statement that these are different objects.

Rodin's bronzes are a case of works that are exactly identical and indeed several Burghers of Calais are posthumous

ReputationRep:
    Of course!

ReputationRep:
    Dear everyone on here who is slating 'modern' art without knowing about it. I think I need to help you out a little.

1) The "Modern art" you refer to doesn't mean much really. Contemporary art is art that is recent and happening now; Modernist art is a movement that started with artists such as Rembrandt, Van Gogh, Edvard Munch (and is thought to have ended around the 50s.) Using the term Modern art confuses things because it makes people think of Modernist art.

2) Modernist art is art that, long story short, prioritised human expression and revolted against traditional bourgeois ideals to produce an art that was more feeling and democratic, and less institutional.After this came Post-modernism

3) Within the Modernist and Post-Modernist framework, obviously there came a lot of freedom. Human beings can be success, power and money-hungry. It is in their nature. Obviously once the baby was thrown out of the window with the bath water, and there were fewer rules, certain people tried and try to exploit art (which should innately be something pure, as was and is the ideal of any sincere modernist). This does not apply to everyone and it's usually pretty clear which art is sincere and insincere, you just need to dig a little.

4)To undermine the entire work of more than a century of post-traditional artists, and to reject the opportunity to even try to understand the enormous breadth and richness of post-traditional art because you view it to be '********' is not only foolish, but it also makes you as arrogant, condescending and pretentious as those you so much despise and ridicule. Think about it.

5) Whilst every one is entitled to their own opinions, dismissing the entirety of post-traditional art because it doesn't look like something is like saying only classical music is good. It's backwards, it's narrow-minded and it's simply not true. If you find you prefer certain kinds of art and others don't suit your tastes, well that's fair enough, but generalising the whole of art that doesn't realistically copy something is so narrow-minded and laughable.

6) Saying that a six year old could do something isn't a valid reason to criticise anything. It's actually very hard, particularly in our culture, for an adult to reach the point where they can free themselves up to the point where what they make looks child like. It's actually very hard to be entirely free in art at all. That's a skill in itself.

7) If 'even you could do it' - why don't you go ahead and do it then? You never know you might enjoy it and stop hating art (and presumably yourselves from the sound of things)

8) The basic rule of being ignorant is judging something you haven't even tried to understand - just don't do it.

9)If any of you would like to see skilled and impressive examples of modernist and post-modernist art then I'd be more than happy to oblige and help open up your minds, and you can try and do copies of them yourselves, because you're all so capable of doing that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.