Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Daughter was rejected from Oxford. I came home to this... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by despairpoet)
    Dear everyone on here who is slating 'modern' art without knowing about it. I think I need to help you out a little.

1) The "Modern art" you refer to doesn't mean much really. Contemporary art is art that is recent and happening now; Modernist art is a movement that started with artists such as Rembrandt, Van Gogh, Edvard Munch (and is thought to have ended around the 50s.) Using the term Modern art confuses things because it makes people think of Modernist art.

2) Modernist art is art that, long story short, prioritised human expression and revolted against traditional bourgeois ideals to produce an art that was more feeling and democratic, and less institutional.After this came Post-modernism
    Rembrandt?

How can a man who spent his career painting his fellow burghers not be bourgeois?

ReputationRep:
    I gather UCL/Imperial/LSE have quite a few courses which are more highly rated than Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Rembrandt?

How can a man who spent his career painting his fellow burghers not be bourgeois?

Attachment 611868

Rembrandt is considered by many the first modernist because towards the end of his life, in his portraits, he stopped embellishing himself and his subjects, often depicting them as haggard and showing their debilitating age and moles when he painted. He also depicted a lot of sorrow in his portraits, which was real - not something the ostentatious Bourgeois would want to show off.
    In this way he was not interested in bourgeois ideals of perfection and embellishment, but rather revealing the gritty reality of life.
    If you want a precise term it's verisimilitude. Goya is also considered one of the first modernists because his gruesome depictions of war showed what life was really like. He expressed what he saw.

ReputationRep:
    Oh look, this is now on BBC.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-38629172

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    WOW Look at that brave girl that can paint like a 2 year old and use glue and scissors, these are clearly the people we wand going to oxford.
    I wish I was this talented.
    Oh, lay off her will you.
    She's obviously upset about it, so chose to destroy the letter.
    I know I would if I was in her shoes.
    I probably would've set fire to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny Dorito)
    While some people were elated this week with their decision from Oxford, some were left heartbroken.

Louisa Saunder's daughter had applied to Oxford, but had received a rejection letter. By the time Louisa had come home from work, her daughter had made this out of her rejection letter.

Personally I this is such a beautiful example of making lemonade out of lemons.
    Beautiful - you don't an Oxford degree to 'succeed' in art.

ReputationRep:
    Now, I am not usually a fan of modern art, I have never fully understood it. This, however, I like. I can genuinely feel the emotion she put into it. My heart goes out to her and I can sense the disappointment and frustration caused by the rejection.

To all you asses knocking it, and saying that a two year old could do better- Normally, I would agree with you. But in this instance, I think it is rude and uncalled for. When a person is fueled by feelings, a coherent image is not what usually gets painted/drawn. You draw what you feel and in this instance, that's what the flurry of colours represent- each of her individual feelings as she read that letter. Her feelings would have been swirling with confusion, disappointment, anger, frustration, and sadness. Some people express it by punching a wall, some people express it by tearing up the paper, some people express it through tears, and she expressed it through her art.

Art is subjective, and feeling based art is beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaintedFlare)
    Now, I am not usually a fan of modern art, I have never fully understood it. This, however, I like. I can genuinely feel the emotion she put into it. My heart goes out to her and I can sense the disappointment and frustration caused by the rejection.

To all you asses knocking it, and saying that a two year old could do better- Normally, I would agree with you. But in this instance, I think it is rude and uncalled for. When a person is fueled by feelings, a coherent image is not what usually gets painted/drawn. You draw what you feel and in this instance, that's what the flurry of colours represent- each of her individual feelings as she read that letter. Her feelings would have been swirling with confusion, disappointment, anger, frustration, and sadness. Some people express it by punching a wall, some people express it by tearing up the paper, some people express it through tears, and she expressed it through her art.

Art is subjective, and feeling based art is beautiful.
    Those who say a 2yr old can do it obviously don't know art. One of the most difficult thing for an artist is to paint like a 2 year old. Just go check some Christie or Sotheby Contemporary Art Sales for the prices of such art.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.